Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mmm interesting - Google launches possible desktop os  (Read 5278 times)

Description:

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Mmm interesting - Google launches possible desktop os
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:24:23 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8139711.stm

Seems google will have own OS andd will boot in seconds.

Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:34:54 PM by JJ »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
new OS on the horizon : Google rocks OS market with it's Chrome OS
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
I was about to open another topic about this matter because I didn't see this in the first place. why is it so difficult to put some relevant information in the topic subject ? it is what it is here for I guess. I'm sure many others will open redundant topics too because they'll miss this.

anyway, here's the official announcement from google

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
Re: Mmm interesting
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
Maybe it's time for OS4 to go x86 and beat google to the pip while Microsoft are crapping themselves. It's what I would do. :lol:

No future at all otherwise IMHO.

I hope I didn't just start a fire? :madashell:

:laughing:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:47:17 PM by GadgetMaster »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Mmm interesting - Google launches possible desktop os
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:59:42 PM »
This google chrome os is actually a brilliant idea... Basicly the OS is a web browser... And each app is running in an instance of the browser. It then uses a cleverly designed UI to hide the browser instances! Apps will be built from HTML and JavaScript using the DOM for IO... It is the logical conclusion!

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
Google's OS is just a web browser running on a stripped down version of Linux. Not really useful as a replacement for a full featured OS.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 02:23:35 PM »
Quote from: mongo;514961
Google's OS is just a web browser running on a stripped down version of Linux. Not really useful as a replacement for a full featured OS.

A modern browser is more then capable of handling just about any office application going and is as suited to launching java/javascript/xml/flash applications as any regular OS is with it's own native apps.

The concept is an interesting one, it's also not the first time this has been tried out - BeOS had BeIA, which had Opera doing the work of a desktop, I believe also there are other linux distros out there that use Firefox in a similar fashion. Interestingly, Palm are also going this route with their webOS - as seen on the Pre.

The concept is viable if you stop thinking of the browser as a browser and instead think of it as a window manager (which is what it is, in this case).

In fact, from a linux perspective, there isn't a whole lot of difference between WebOS/googleOS and a regular distro beyond what's performing the role of the WM. If anything it removes an extra layer of complexity from it all without really loosing anything in terms of capability - javascript pointing to a regular application for instance.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Voyager74

• Show only replies by Voyager74
Re: Mmm interesting
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 06:20:20 PM »
Mmm... Interesting...
I've been kind of waiting for this to happen, but wondered who would drop
the bomb first, and if they had power to, ahem, sorry, "keep the momentum going...".

But them ?! Hmmm... Interesting indeed!
intuition inside!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;514959
This google chrome os is actually a brilliant idea... Basicly the OS is a web browser... And each app is running in an instance of the browser. It then uses a cleverly designed UI to hide the browser instances! Apps will be built from HTML and JavaScript using the DOM for IO... It is the logical conclusion!

Both users and regulators cried foul when Microsoft tried to do the same thing with Active Desktop and Internet Explorer 4.0 in 1997. Google craps ten year old gold, apparently, and Bill Gates, as per usual, saw the writing on the wall years before everyone else. Yes, Microsoft has done (and continues to do) Bad Things, but you can't knock the company for lack of vision.

Oh, pooh. Let's not forget 1996's JavaOS. Sun knew what they were doing as well. Funny how it took a new generation of consumers to bring it all to light.

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 02:51:14 PM »
What are you talking about.  Microsoft dropped the ball on the whole internet revolution and still have not caught up.

Also its mad how we are heading full circle, back to more or less dumb terminals connected to a mainframe.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »
Much as I defend the right of people to use Microsoft based OSs, Microsoft's vision of the future has been clouded with delusions of grandeur from the beginning.  Internet Explorer was created long after Mozilla, because they saw gold, MSN added blogs *after* all major services did because they saw gold.  Microsoft got into the internet after everyone else because they saw gold.  They are not an innovator.  MS WIndows was created from Bill Gates vision of Apple OS.

Microsoft has consistently been blind to technology innovation, they concentrated on producing an OS that ran on any OEM hardware, that's there success, I can go out, buy a bunch of pieces of equipment from different manufactures, put it together and run MS Windows on it.  OS X will only run if I have certain video cards, certain wifi, certain motherboards, etc.  BSD/Linux is better, but far from the universal OS that MS Windows is.

Quote from: Trev;515004
Both users and regulators cried foul when Microsoft tried to do the same thing with Active Desktop and Internet Explorer 4.0 in 1997. Google craps ten year old gold, apparently, and Bill Gates, as per usual, saw the writing on the wall years before everyone else. Yes, Microsoft has done (and continues to do) Bad Things, but you can't knock the company for lack of vision.

Oh, pooh. Let's not forget 1996's JavaOS. Sun knew what they were doing as well. Funny how it took a new generation of consumers to bring it all to light.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »
This opinion piece pretty much sums it up for me:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/09/dzuiba_google_chrome_redux/
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
I likeed that article.  To be honest I did no research, just posted the link as it is interesting.

For people who just use their pc/netbook for surfing this will be just the ticket rather than the bloat of windows.

for serious users well we already have xp

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;514963
A modern browser is more then capable of handling just about any office application going and is as suited to launching java/javascript/xml/flash applications as any regular OS is with it's own native apps.

The concept is an interesting one, it's also not the first time this has been tried out - BeOS had BeIA, which had Opera doing the work of a desktop, I believe also there are other linux distros out there that use Firefox in a similar fashion. Interestingly, Palm are also going this route with their webOS - as seen on the Pre.

The concept is viable if you stop thinking of the browser as a browser and instead think of it as a window manager (which is what it is, in this case).

In fact, from a linux perspective, there isn't a whole lot of difference between WebOS/googleOS and a regular distro beyond what's performing the role of the WM. If anything it removes an extra layer of complexity from it all without really loosing anything in terms of capability - javascript pointing to a regular application for instance.

Nothing new to the Amiga family:
http://www.chiptune.com

;-)
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
Quote from: persia;515091
Internet Explorer was created long after Mozilla, because they saw gold,

Long after? Most of the original browsers were based on Mosaic (on which Netscape's founder worked). Internet Explorer 1.0 hit about a year after Navigator to coincide with the launch of Windows 95.

MSN added blogs *after* all major services did because they saw gold.

Blogs are for narcissists. They'll be the eventual death of real journalism (as opposed to editorial and gonzo journalism) if people take them too seriously. ;-)

Microsoft got into the internet after everyone else because they saw gold.

What does "got into the Internet" mean? It's not an exclusive club. Like most large technology companies, Microsoft was "on" the Internet as soon as it served to further their business activities. That happened as early as 1991, but it was most likely before that, as they needed a way to bridge communication between email platforms, newsgroups, and proprietary information services like Compuserve and Genie. It's been too long for me to remember clearly, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft--again, like most technology companies--had a Gopher site before HTTP and the world wide web took off.

They are not an innovator. MS WIndows was created from Bill Gates vision of Apple OS.

That's possible. And the Macintosh was created from Xerox's vision of the GUI. And the GUI is based on emulating real world interaction. So what?

Microsoft has consistently been blind to technology innovation, they concentrated on producing an OS that ran on any OEM hardware, that's there success, I can go out, buy a bunch of pieces of equipment from different manufactures, put it together and run MS Windows on it.

That's actually IBM's fault. If they hadn't published the source code to their ROM BIOS, the personal computer market as we know it today might not have happened. We might even still be running Amigas for real world, every day tasks. ;-) More likely, we'd be using terminals and connecting to an IBM mainframe and paying per keystroke. (And as someone else already pointed out, that's the direction we're headed with web-based services and service-oriented products.)

We can blame Microsoft for the current notion of software licensing, though. Before that, you actually bought software, which included the software's source code. The OSS movement is sort of reversing that, but licenses like the GPL severely limit how you can use and implement source code.