Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Retro Computer returns from the ashes  (Read 12930 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Another Retro Computer returns from the ashes
« Reply #89 from previous page: November 02, 2010, 04:19:48 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;588690
How about a 2Ghz ARM processor based Soc?
NuSmart 2816 40nm Soc by Chinese company Beijing Nufront.

Of course its not available yet, but it is supposedly going to be introduced in 2011.
Scary! Could the future of processors be found in China, not California?

http://www.slashgear.com/nufront-nusmart-2815-2ghz-arm-cortex-a9-looks-to-squash-tegra-2-video-14102190/

http://www.nufrontsoft.com/cscen.htm

That NuSmart processors spec's is pretty impressive, like most electronic products of today and the future, China will and are becoming the world leaders in production/costs (even if they do nick the R&D from other countries) :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;588692
California hasn't been at the forfront for years. The Core line was designed by Intel Israel, for instance. .

Thank God for that shift too. The previous banner carrier for Intel, the Netburst/P4, was lame out the door. I remember suggesting to a former employer that he get a Tualatin based PIII or Celeron as they were benchmarking better than P4s running 25% faster.

Intels design staff must have misinterpreted Moore's Law. They actually tought they could scale Netburst up to 10Ghz. I'm pretty sure Moore's Law applies to complexity, not clockspeed.

For a while there, AMD was outperforming Intel.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:03:57 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;588461
I remember the days when Betamax was superior to anything VHS had to offer, but due to marketing hype, Betamax fell into obscurity even though VHS was inferior.

I don't think this is a good example. It is true that VHS picture quality is less than Betamax but the latter had problems with the life time of the magnetic heads and at the moment this was fixed VHS had already won.
But I think this is a good example that being superior in one front and lacking in another is not better than being good enough on all fronts.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Reiknir

• Show only replies by Reiknir
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2010, 02:20:27 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;588692
California hasn't been at the forfront for years. The Core line was designed by Intel Israel.

No, Intel Israel reworked the P-Mobile core into the Intel Atom

The Core chips are designed by Intel USA

Offline Iggy

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2010, 03:15:15 AM »
Quote from: Reiknir;588930
No, Intel Israel reworked the P-Mobile core into the Intel Atom

The Core chips are designed by Intel USA

No, that's wrong. When Intel finally decided to scrap the Netburst/P4, they incorporated many of the features of their Isreali designed mobile processors (which were descended from the PIII) with some of the bus features of the P4.

The Isreali Intel designers were essential in the design of the Core Duo.

The Atom, on the other hand, is Intels attempt to force X86 down into markets formerly dominated by ARM. Its not very powerful (compared to current processors) but designers have realized that many user don't require all the power that our constantly improving CPU offer. I really don't think Intel has devoted much of its resources to the Atom as it doesn't bring them the kind of profits that the rest of their line does.

But, give credit where its due. The P4 was designed by US Intel designers and it cost the company the lead t(in performance) to AMD.
Intel finally realized it needed to change direction and focused on the Isreali Dothan socket479 processor as it base.

So, yes, the Isreali design team was responsible for Core development.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:35:36 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;588690
How about a 2Ghz ARM processor based Soc?
NuSmart 2816 40nm Soc by Chinese company Beijing Nufront.
Of course its not available yet, but it is supposedly going to be introduced in 2011.
Scary! Could the future of processors be found in China, not California?

Every standard ARM core is designed in Cambridge, England.

Marvell have an ISA license, so their cores are custom (evolution of the StrongARM -> XScale lineage) but are binary compatible. Qualcomm similarly have an ISA license. They produce Snapdragon cores as used in many phones.

Other cores use the off-the-shelf core designs that ARM produces, from hard macros to cores expressed in HDL.

The success of ARM is because of the myriad of different designs available based around the ISA or licenced core designs.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;589000
Every standard ARM core is designed in Cambridge, England.

Marvell have an ISA license, so their cores are custom (evolution of the StrongARM -> XScale lineage) but are binary compatible. Qualcomm similarly have an ISA license. They produce Snapdragon cores as used in many phones.

Other cores use the off-the-shelf core designs that ARM produces, from hard macros to cores expressed in HDL.

The success of ARM is because of the myriad of different designs available based around the ISA or licenced core designs.

I'm not sure I understand your point. If you read my post, I never suggested that they designed the ARM core. Just that they appeared to be readying one of the fastest A9 based Socs.