Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1 + MOL + VPC  (Read 2116 times)

Description:

Offline Desler

• Show only replies by Desler
Re: A1 + MOL + VPC
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 24, 2003, 01:04:57 PM »
@Yoodoo
It was my understanding that Bochs was PAINFULLY slow. How is your take on this? Is it ok if you just want to run fx office?
The horse is a fierce predatory animal!!!

Offline yoodoo

• Show only replies by yoodoo
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2003, 01:22:09 PM »
It is slow.  I don't have DOS (on its own) to install, but will dload one of free alternatives later this week to try out.  The DOS part of win98 installation was fine and perfectly usuable as far as I could tell from the brief interaction.  Installing win98 took all night (6 hours) from start to finish.  had to leave it then to go to work :(

atm the installation is set up to emulate pentium class processor with 32 Mb memory.  It might be far faster aiming at 486 emu, which would cope fine with DOS and win95.

I was impressed with how easily and cleanly the sorce compiled for PPC - certainly worth an experiment.

Bochs is slow because it emulates the whole intel machine (vga/pci devices/storage drives), rather than just virtualising the OS calls like WINE or VMWare.

I don't anticipate attempting to install any really large software (cos I don't have any MS stuff available) but have a few older win95 educational apps that would be quite nice to see live again.

When run on a fast x86, Bochs is quick enough to run win95 at a usable speed, so hoping for my little G3-600 to go very far is perhaps a little ambitious.  Those dual G4s, however...

Perhaps bbrv could set up another showdown ;)

Offline Desler

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2003, 01:27:03 PM »
6 HOURS !!!! it sounds like something you would expect with pc-task and a 68030. Yeah I know that Bochs is super compatible and written in C and therefore is slow as hell. Does anyone know if its possible to scoup out the c code for the pentium and include a ppc assembler version instead. Would this give any noticable speed increases???

Offline yoodoo

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2003, 07:52:08 PM »
I've disabled PCI, SB16 and Ne2000 emulation.  I can get IPS (instructions per second) up to about 10,000,000 before it stops making a difference.

So how fast is it?

Equivalent to a 10Mhz Pentium ;)

When the kids are out of the way, I'll play with a few more settings and recompile to emulate a x486.

I don't think the emulator kernel is modular, so it would be difficult to swap bits without major rewrites.  There is (was?) a port to AmigaOS with MorphOS ectensions a while back.  Is it still going? Dunno.

If the speed could be upped to 50-60Mhz,  a lot of Win95 progs would be runnable.

Offline Desler

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2003, 08:20:08 PM »
As far as I know Bochs IS modular, eventhough im no expert. I base this on a faq I read about Bochs I think they mentioned something about using the systems real x86 CPU. But of course I cannot find the link anywhere.
But then again 10 mhz on a g3 600mhz. That just poor. Now if only we could get the guy behind pctask to remove the dependencies for custom chip set. Even in 680x0 emulation mode this would make circles around Bochs :-)
Oh by the way the morphos/amiga version of Bochs is maintained by a guy called Nicholai Benalal. I have no idea who he is or how far he has gotten

Offline yoodoo

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2003, 09:40:31 PM »
then again 10 mhz on a g3 600mhz. That's just poor.

Perhaps.

The suggested speed in the docs for a 650Mhz Athlon is 2.5Mhz.  So we're doing better than that ;)

Don't forget that Bochs doesn't just emulate the cpu but the WHOLE machine. Bit like the difference between UAE without a JIT engine trying to do full AGA with Zorro. And it does it very cleanly; ie, no mean feat to compile first time on PPC with no changes/configuration at all.

Coincidentally, there's an article in this month's Linux Magazine here in the UK.  Just spotted it tonight on the way home from work.

Offline asian1

• Show only replies by asian1
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2003, 05:07:52 PM »
MS Buy Virtual PC

Apparently Connectix  / Virtual PC went down and MS buy the company. Perhaps MS will kill the product slowly.

Another possible idea is perhaps MS plan to conquer market for future motherboards based on high speed PowerPC CPUs (> 1 GHz).

>High speed PC on A1.
You can run high speed Windows XP or Linux X86 using REAL P.III / 700 Mhz Chip on Omnicluster SlotServer CPU card:

Omnicluster

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2003, 05:29:47 PM »
what about MOL then? , also... is there any chance of IFUSION to appear/work on the A1 / pegasos?

Whats up with all the hate!