Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: After hearing a bit about the upcoming Windows 8...  (Read 4033 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: After hearing a bit about the upcoming Windows 8...
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
Why not have computers navigated by wiimotes?
Gimmicky AND unusable at the same time.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »
Quote from: runequester;661704
Great idea! After all, since they've sold so many units, it must be a good idea to indiscriminately copy the interface for completely different products!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;661701
Do any good solutions for running Windows within Haiku exist? Virtual machines or the like. I seem to remember that Bewine was abandoned some time ago.

http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/emulators/computer-systems/qemu-gui-haiku
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 02:16:18 AM »
Be interesting to see what consumers actually buy.  Both Apple and MS are converging on a world where desktops will have touch.  There are times when I just want to do away with the indirection of a magic pad and touch the screen directly.  But there are differences, tablets have one screen of know dimensions, desktops have two or more screens usually of different dimensions, it could get complicated...

Quote from: Khephren;661680
Computer users want touch monitors as much as they want 3D TV, as in, they don't. This is just tech companies forcing things on the consumer.

I'm all for touch on phones/pads, but I don't think many people want greasy finger prints and arm ache on a large size stand up monitor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 03:55:40 AM »
Being tht W8 can be controlled by Kinect Im not sure how much effort would have been put in touch screen control (or perhaps the 2 share enough that developing support for one bleeds into how the other would be interfaced with).

Either way Apple has done a good job of destroying the fun for computer enthusiasts. All the gimmicky crap with a shiny interface, etc. intended for computer illiterate bozos. Unfortunately other OS developers have decided that this is a good thing, all the while destroying computer fun for those of us who arent illiterate bozo's. Thank God for AROS and Amiga OS, etc. as while theyre lacking in some ways compared to other options it's not assumed I'll succumb to whatever shiny interfaces dictate to me, nor that have the intellect of a Walrus.

Now, back to the original post..... if youre such a dopus fan, why not just use dopus on Windows?
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 04:26:53 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;661778
Being tht W8 can be controlled by Kinect Im not sure how much effort would have been put in touch screen control (or perhaps the 2 share enough that developing support for one bleeds into how the other would be interfaced with).

Either way Apple has done a good job of destroying the fun for computer enthusiasts. All the gimmicky crap with a shiny interface, etc. intended for computer illiterate bozos. Unfortunately other OS developers have decided that this is a good thing, all the while destroying computer fun for those of us who arent illiterate bozo's. Thank God for AROS and Amiga OS, etc. as while theyre lacking in some ways compared to other options it's not assumed I'll succumb to whatever shiny interfaces dictate to me, nor that have the intellect of a Walrus.

Now, back to the original post..... if youre such a dopus fan, why not just use dopus on Windows?

Speak for yourself. I like shiny things...  ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 04:49:57 AM »
I like shiny things when they're part of something by which I want to be distracted. The basic user interface of an operating system is not something by which I want to be distracted. It's something I want to get the hell out of the way and let me manage files and launch applications.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 06:05:45 AM »
Quote from: runequester;661704

What, so talking to yourself (BT and phone) isn't weird enough? Now we have to sit in front of our computers waving our arms around like an air traffic controller?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
OMG! I love Windows 7! For the first time in 6 months i used it today and OMG everything just glows! :rolleyes: Why can't i get my Ubuntu to look this pretty? :confused: It's so unfair :(

OK, i'm switching off now... BEEP! BEEP!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »
Ooooooooooo shiny things.  Must have now.

Actually that's what got me started with the Amiga.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
Quote from: Roj;661655
and having heard enough about it, I have to ask: Is there a version of Linux (or any other commonly used OS) that's remarkably close to the Amiga? I think Windows 7 will be my last version of Windows.

The things I find most useful are:

A GUI that doesn't force the active window to the front, and makes use of window depth gadgets. I've had enough of not being able to stack my opened windows the way *I* want them stacked.

String gadgets that don't automatically Select All on first click. I don't know how many times I was in the middle of renaming a file when Windows arbitrarily highlighted the entire line on me, and my next keystroke cleared everything I typed. I wound up loading UAE and renaming stuff from there.

Has a dual-paned file manager as standard. I'm thinking a DOpus Magellan-type manager would be fantastic.

Does its best to alleviate "click-fests" when doing file management. Renaming files in Windows 7 is a lot better, being able to tab down the list, but DOpus Magellan's method, where it essentially turns into a text editor for renaming is the most functional method I've seen to date.

Doesn't try to "help me" by automating things that don't need automation. I generally find myself getting frustrated very quickly trying to do simple file management in Windows, and I'm wanting to find something that has plenty of software support with none of the baggage and garbage that accompanies Windows.

Although it doesn't have the depth gadets or many of the useful things the Amiga GUI has, but I found this Linux distribution to feel almost Amiga-like, dynebolic - http://www.dynebolic.org/
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline tone007

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;661834
Although it doesn't have the depth gadets or many of the useful things the Amiga GUI has, but I found this Linux distribution to feel almost Amiga-like, dynebolic - http://www.dynebolic.org/

Wow, glad to see they're still going.  I haven't tried dynebolic since 2005 or so.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 04:27:19 PM »
Quote from: Duce;661656
You will be able to entirely disable the Metro interface (the Win7 phone tile interface) on Win 8 on a desktop computer.

I know it may be controversial to say so here, but I actually believe that a broad range of people will actually find the Metro interface to be quite be appealing, even on desktops. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:29:34 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-best-linux-distros-for-2011-704584

A handy link for anyone considering a GNU/Linux distro.

Also folks, credit where it's due. I know we all often refer to GNU/Linux as just "Linux" but we shouldn't, Linux is only one part of the whole OS, it's just a kernel.

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;661855
I know it may be controversial to say so here, but I actually believe that a broad range of people will actually find the Metro interface to be quite be appealing, even on desktops. :)
I don't, and frankly my opinion is the only one I care about when it comes to deciding what UI I'd like.

Offline Templario

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 29, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »
The Windows name and logos for Microsoft is a mine, they never left both things, always MicroSoft cans called Windows with other surnames, etc.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9