Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newbie problem, Can't fingure out how to work Winuae  (Read 1044 times)

Description:

Offline LothreTopic starter

• Show only replies by Lothre
Newbie problem, Can't fingure out how to work Winuae
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »
I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself (and that is probably everybody out there) can hold my hand and help me figure out how to work Winuae.

I grew up with an Amiga. I got my first Amiga computer, a 500 in 1987 when there were still shelves upon shelves of games in the stores. I was the envy of everyone in my school and neighborhood.

I sank deeper and deeper into a funk as the years went by and each time i went to the store to check out the games there were fewer and fewer for the amiga.

I would be happy if I could just play those games once again. But my 90% of my original game disks no longer work on my 2000hd or 500.

I have tried several times over the last 8 or 9 years to figure out Winuae, but have never been able to get it to work and give up frustrated each time. This is the only game emulator I have not been able to get working.

I dont claim to be half way compitent with the workings of Amigas, hacking save files with a hex editor was the extent of my amiga prowes. Now I just want to play these games again.

Can anyone help me?

I have Winuae v1.4.2 downloaded and have kickstart v1.3 set in the roms path (only kickstart I could find) I tried running a rom I downloaded for "The Faery Tale Adventure" (one of my all time favorite amiga games) but when I set it in the DF0 box it told me the adf "disk image was not compatible with the ROM replacement functionality"

it's pretty clear I have no idea what I am doing, but I don't know anyone personally that can help me and this is the only place I can find online where I might have a chance at getting some help.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
Re: Newbie problem, Can't fingure out how to work Winuae
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »
Are you sure that the game you downloaded is an adf file? This is a disk image (not rom) and usually has a .adf extension.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 05:27:22 PM »
yes, it is a .adf file

i must be missing some major operational step or something

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 05:29:18 PM »
Try some more adf files to see if they do work. Also make sure that you're emulating an A500.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »
I did some tests and I get the same problem when I try the quickstart without rom file selected. Make sure you select the rom file in hardware/ROM. Winuae will tell you if the rom is corrupt.

If you select no adf file then the famous boot screen should appear when you start the emulation.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 05:50:52 PM »
that was it! thank you so very very much!

I can not begin to describe the feeling I got hearing the familiar music of Faery Tale Adventure. I still remember the security check passwords after all these years.

I can't thank you enough for helping me get these games running again. what a treat!

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 05:53:29 PM »
No problem and have fun!