Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Complete SAM460ex System now available  (Read 5648 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: Complete SAM460ex System now available
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »
Modern hardware is fine, its the OSes that dont always utilise it particularly well. This is in part due to the more typical reasons people will suggest (ie. the OSes are much, much more complex beasts than Amiga OS), but one thing that's overlooked is development software. In the attempts to make things easier to use more and more layers of abstraction from the hardware is used, compilers arent nearly as efficient as they once where, binaries get bigger as a result of all these unnecessary overheads and so on. I have no doubt these sorts of OSes could offer exactly the same functionailty without the massive unneccessary overheads. Its not just the bloat of the software, but the bloat of the development tools as well.
Now I dont suggest we all go back to asm or binary, hardware and software is way too complex these days for that (it'd take so long to write the kind of software people are used to that no software would ever get finished, not to mention there's way too much hardware out there), but if someone with money decides to tackle these issues and write most things from the grounds up they absolutely could carve out a user base. In short I understand why things are the way they are, but although its tricky, they dont have to be as bad as they are.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
@Smerf

Retailers can only sell what's manufactured, I have no qualm with them at all. I am far from content with what passes as a modern "amiga", but that's not the retailers fault. I'd be surprised if even the bigger folk make enough to make a living from selling Amiga hardware.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
UAE/ Amiga Forever and Amiga Kit are the best Amiga value out there and you can use the library of Amiga software re;eased thus for and do it all on commodity hardware.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
@smerf

Don't worry too much about your A4000 - whatever's wrong with it it'll be repairable somehow. My A1500 went the way of the dodo the other day too... switched all the chips round and traced it to a faulty Kickstart ROM, so it looks like it just wanted to be upgraded to 3.1 after all.

You have to understand, though, that we're limited in CPU speed because the new machines like the SAM are using embedded CPUs, not desktop ones, and they're intrinsically slower... but don't just look at the numbers.  The point is you can do a lot with 1.1GHz, it's just that Windows, MacOS and even Linux these days bog down their CPUs in a way that AmigaOS doesn't.

In other words, it may be 1.1GHz, but generally it'll feel faster than a 4-core 3GHz CPU running Windows. Obviously it won't be as fast for computation and data encoding, but for general usage it'll feel very responsive indeed.

When you bought your A1000, did it have tons of software for it? No, it didn't. You bought it presumably because it was something new, something different and exciting. Something you could enjoy playing with, which was still useful.

All of that applies to modern Amiga machines. So we're 10 years behind in pricing terms... that's life I'm afraid. If you want something different, you need to pay for it. If you want the mass produced tat, you get it cheap.

Trust me: ACube, AmigaKit et al don't make a massive profit margin on these things. They're not stupid. If they have such a high list price, it's because that's how expensive they are.  Plus don't forget your A1000 will have been a lot pricier than a Sam 460 system; the only difference is these days you can get faster machines for less, but as none of them are PPC based, they can't be compared.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
Hi Smerf... :)

Sorry to hear about your A4000 but it will most likely be something that can easily be fixed... :)

In 25 years of using the Amiga I've never had one develop the slightest fault let alone break altogether. My main A1200 in the tower has been running 24/7 since 1996 and still works fine even to this day along with my Microvitic MultiSync monitor why hasn't even been switched off in over 6 years... :)

I reckon myself the stress put on most systems that breaks them is the constant switching on and off of them (the initial surge each time on power up shortens the life of the components) the only time my main miggy goes off and my monitor is if we have a power cut... :)

Also those that leave them in cupboards, lofts, garages etc... and only power them up once in a blue moon are just asking for trouble, as the initial surge/shock on power up to things that have been left so long can easily blow stuff in the blink of an eye... :)

In fact the only repair I've had to do was on an A1200 I bought from ebay recently that had a gfx flicker problem, the owner said it had been up in his loft for at least 10 years but it was easily fixed with a new 1uf capacitor... :)

Of all the electronic devices I use the Amiga has to be the hardiest piece of equipment I've ever came across... :)

Cheers

Franko

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
Quote from: Franko;622836
Of all the electronic devices I use the Amiga has to be the hardiest piece of equipment I've ever came across... :)

I have  VIC-20 here that would like a word with you.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
Dunno about that. They (amigas) dont take as much of a (literal) beating as some other machines Ive had. Buttons fly off easily, keyboard membranes die with even the mildest of stabbings, floppy drives dont often survive intact after even one throwing at a wall. My Tandy TRS-80 though,.... man that took a pounding, mocked me, and called me a girl  :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:31:31 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline Franko

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;622838
I have  VIC-20 here that would like a word with you.

Hmm a talking VIC 20... :confused:

I've just asked the squirrels and they said there's no such thing... ;)

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
Quote from: Duce;622699
Plenty of PPC Linux options for these SAM rigs.  Linux on them is an enjoyable experience.

Speaking of which, does AmigaKit offer the option of getting the system with BOTH AmigaOS and Linux pre-installed, and if so, which Linux Distro would they use?
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »
Quote from: Franko;622856
Hmm a talking VIC 20... :confused:

I've just asked the squirrels and they said there's no such thing... ;)

Maybe it has a speech pack cartridge.
Personally I think you put too much faith in talking squirrels. Theyre charismatic, but dont let them charm you. 4 out of 10 talking squirrles arent to be trusted.

Offline Franko

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;622868
Maybe it has a speech pack cartridge.
Personally I think you put too much faith in talking squirrels. Theyre charismatic, but dont let them charm you. 4 out of 10 talking squirrles arent to be trusted.

Luckily I live in the same tree as the six who can be trusted, although I have my doubts about the one with the three eyes and claims he's really the reincarnation of Bing Crosby ... :)

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
@smerf - why don't you go to a PC forum instead of trolling this thread about the price, when it's been clearly explained about economies of scale.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;622875
@smerf - why don't you go to a PC forum instead of trolling this thread about the price, when it's been clearly explained about economies of scale.

alas I've grown only too used to this type of attitude here:(

heck AmigaOS has never had it this good hardware wise since 1994..we've got brand new dedicated hardware on the low end (Sam440), mid range (Sam460), and High end (X1000):)

heck for a grand I can't even buy a nice classic system with a 060 accelerator card..
I could'nt afford my dram machine back in the day (A4000T) but I'll be damned if I don't buy a X1000 :cool:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »
I believe the economics of scale have been explained many times. It still dosn't excuse making the cost of ownership so high that even big amiga fans can't justify buying it.

I'd like to have an os4 machine someday, but there just no way I can spend 1200$ on a computer who's specs can be beaten by a computer I can get on ebay for 50$ (take your pic, emac or pc)

Besides this, my phone is more powerful and has a better browser too.

I hope hyperion wake up and port to arm or x86 before they die.

Steven

Offline Franko

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 19, 2011, 12:11:26 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;622878
Commodore VIC computers DO exist!

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_FutureModels.aspx

HAH... lucky for me, me mouse clicky finger won't allow me to click on that link... ;)

You should be ashamed posting filth like that here... :angry: