Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Open Video Toaster Instant Download ISO going up in price  (Read 5444 times)

Description:

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
Re: Open Video Toaster Instant Download ISO going up in price
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 23, 2010, 12:37:13 AM »
@Trev

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »
Quote from: Pyromania;571529
The message has been on the website unchanged for six long years. You must not really be interested in the project if you only noticed it now.

LOL.  The maintainers of the website must not really be interested in the project if there's that little activity on the page.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 02:08:22 AM »
Quote from: Trev;571706
BitTorrent only works as long as at least one peer has the bits you need. The only way to insure that is to host a permanent seed. The Video Toaster sources do not share the same level of popularity as World of Warcraft or Lady Gaga, so in all likelihood, Bill would have to seed the ISO image indefinitely. In any case, he's already said bandwidth charges weren't the impetus for the change, although he certainly implied that at the beginning. ;-)

EDIT: Mini-rant not directed at anyone in particular: We all pay for bandwidth, and the only "winners" are the large telcos, who whine whenever anyone tries to use the bandwidth that's already been paid for.

I see where you were going.  I was thinking/suggesting the community does the seeding and the OVT site could still have the regular download too.  Many sites I've seen that need large bandwidth for something like this usually have the bittorent link listed first with a message asking to please use that if possible. Then the standard http/ftp download option listed a little smaller and second.

The message had said they paid over $300 in a single month for bandwidth overages.  So in effect they'd still have the file for those that don't want to use the torrent, but we would be helping relieve that overage.  Hence in effect donating $300+ a month.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 08:03:58 AM »
Quote from: Trev;571706
BitTorrent only works as long as at least one peer has the bits you need. The only way to insure that is to host a permanent seed. The Video Toaster sources do not share the same level of popularity as World of Warcraft or Lady Gaga, so in all likelihood, Bill would have to seed the ISO image indefinitely.

He could easily limit the upload speed to something sensible, say 20KB/s. Even if he was seeding all the time (which would be highly unlikely with such low interest torrent) the traffic would be only 1.6GB per day.