Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga in Your very cellphone  (Read 6639 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
Amiga in Your very cellphone
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »
Hi, all

I just tried to install PocketUAE on my HTC S710 WM6 Smart device and it failed.  Seems to be for older platforms and abandoned project.

On the other hand, I see many Amiga games ported and SOLD heavily on various cell platforms (e.g. Lemmings on Nokia S40 or Symbian s60v3).  Mobile entertainment makers rely on arcade games because it seamlessly fits into mobile capabilities / feel.  The point is that they lack ideas really, I saw already fancy Bobberman (from NES), also Arkanoid (rich graphics though).

I think it is really stupid to simply let go - without Amiga Emulator on a cellphone.

I encountered two projects yet, the said PocketUAE not working on recent WM phones, also MyUAE for PalmOS (didn't test it, my Palm is dead for years...)

Let's face it.  Mobile smartphones' penetration gets bigger, thank to subsides, mobile people are spending significant $$$$ on gaming (17B$ in 2006 - consider this!).  I think ANY Amiga / xxUAE / mobile software developer should consider making Amiga emulation for cellphones.  Maybe it would boost it if it was a proprietary software, (mobile people, not necessarily Amiga people would spend a lot on it), eventually donationware.

Mobile smart platforms nowadays:
- Symbian (S60/UIQ): strong enough on a smartphone market (??q)
- Windows Mobile: strong and rapidly growing (10M in 2006)
- iPhone (OSX): significant and growing (6M in 2006)
- BlackBerry OS: high-end in Europe, small share outside US
- PalmOS: dying if not dead already
- others: Linuxes (JUIX, Android etc.) or J2ME: ain't worth it

*EDIT - this is rather of 2007 year statistics - sorry for that :)

So I think anyone trying to make Amiga emulator for any of the three toppest systems would 1) earn a lot of money (hopefully) 2) make something of high-vallue-added and lots of fun for the community...

OK, I know, I know.  What can I do about it, right?
Well, I am a programmer, too, having some time, but never been developing on mobile.  Doing it from a scratch would cost me lots of time.  Should somebody help...

Comments anybody?

BTW - consider this if You do not like this proprietary thing idea: buy once, play 1000 games free!!!  This is really justified for me.

*EDIT - Also, Amiga emulation on cellphones would SURELY make an Amiga platform alone more recognizable... and more popular!!!!
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
Re: Amiga in Your very cellphone
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
Would be cool if there was an Amiga emulator for Windows mobile. I got myself a Sony Ericsson XPeria X1 today, and I could do with some nice classic games to run on it :-)
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline gurthuk

• Show only replies by gurthuk
    • http://www.fwd4.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »
what's a cellphone?

Offline gurthuk

• Show only replies by gurthuk
    • http://www.fwd4.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »
on a serious note why bother - would it not be simpler to developer applications for the native OS?

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »

gurthuk wrote:
what's a cellphone?

Is this a joke or what?

As far as I know cellular phone and mobile phone names differ in UK English and US English actually.

So, what's the point?  Fun?

Offline Tension

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
What`s an amoeba anyway?

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:43:56 PM »
@DiskDoctor

Nice post except for the Windows Mobile part. Win Mobile is almost already dead and it would be a waste to put any resources there. Amiga Forever could have features added to the next version to support Amiga emulation on cell phones if it's developer is interested in going that route.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »
I would love UAE on my mobile phone!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »

Pyromania wrote:
@DiskDoctor

Nice post except for the Windows Mobile part. Win Mobile is almost already dead and it would be a waste to put any resources there. Amiga Forever could have features added to the next version to support Amiga emulation on cell phones if it's developer is interested in going that route.

Exactly; there is LiMo (LInux MObile), Android and the recent PALM's WebOS that are diferent flavours of Linux for mobiles devices so it would not be so difficult port linux EUAE for them.Another matter is optimization and use of the extra cellphone features, but, step by
step

And it will fly on the new ARM 1 GHZ based cellphones

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/1005/Cortex_a8.htm
http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/02/03/toshiba.tg01/
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 10:58:46 PM »

gurthuk wrote:
on a serious note why bother - would it not be simpler to developer applications for the native OS?

What d'you mean by native OSes and applications?  DIstinct games ported to any mobile platform?  This is done now, I meant creating emulation software.  So that one wouldn't bother anymore to run another Amiga game.  Once done, all classic Amiga gaming would be freed.

Tension wrote:
What`s an amoeba anyway?

This is really a good one!

Pyromania wrote:

You're kidding me?? Take a look at 2007/2008 and such vedors: HTC, Samsung (i600, i780 and more), SE (X1), Motorola (Q9h), also Toshiba, ASUS, tons of stuff.  Even the bloody Palm started releasing most of its hardware equipped with windows...

I think in two years maybe WinMobile will have majority of smartphone market share.  So it's really worth it.

On the other hand Symbian is as much important, don't think anything will change in a few years...

I really hope the AmigaForever guys will sniff some $$ out eventually here.

Exactly; there is LiMo (LInux MObile), Android and the recent PALM's WebOS that are diferent flavours of Linux for mobiles devices so it would not be so difficult port linux EUAE for them.Another matter is optimization and use of the extra cellphone features, but, step by
step

This is most probably the closest way to achieve as you said, Linux is most flexible to port UAE on Linux-like mobile OSes.

EDIT*
And it will fly on the new ARM 1 GHZ based cellphones

Say, my mobile almost outperforms the Sam...

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
Even though I'm a big iPhone fan I can't see the iPhone holding it's lead forever.  But Windows Mobile is horrible, most people can't figure out how to make it work, nut already there are programs you can run that take away most of the horrors of running it.

I would like to see three versions of UAE, one for iPhone, one for Windows Mobile and one for a Linux, possibly Android.

As somebody pointed out most phones are about as powerful as Sam (at a fraction of the price) so UAE and Classic Amiga stuff should be about as fast on a Mobile as they are on a Sam....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
I used to run PocketUAE on my HP iPAQ 4150, it ran at about A500 speed. Quite good really. I wouldn't mind UAE on my iPhone, but Apple don't allow Emulators at this time (I expect apple will review this policy in time), but I would only use it for bragging rights mostly... Actual ports to the native system is more desireable IMO, take note of Pinball Dreams which is a faithful port and the gfx have been improved for the more advanced gfx of the iPhone!

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »
@ persia

Why do all of you hate Windows Mobile platform huh?

I mean... I also used to dislike this.  My wife had this HTC with qwerty keyboard for over a year but recently I simply stole it and gave her my Nokia E65.

I know WM is really dull compared for Symbian feel / performance / support.
But hey, those cells start ruling the world!!  With Microsoft support, also targeted for business (Exchange/ActiveSyns/DirectPush technology), it's getting closer to the consumer.  Also, after iPhone launch, all of a sudden, ALL mobile players started making clones of it! HTC has a new WM Touch line, roughly positioned close to iPhone audience and it works; last year in my country I saw ads of HTC Touch as a phone for women(!).

One more thing - in last two years ALL the other mobile vendors started to support WM - Samsung (i600), LG (KS20), Motorola (Q9h), SE (X1) - expect lot more this year.  So that would be my choice.  It's not about preference, it's about platform's potential.

So yes, win mobile is dull but at least - it is more stable and growing.  Consider also one thing. Windows Mobile Professional edition has a touch UI design.  So all (most) touch cell phones with OSes now are WM Pros, plus iPhone, maybe one Nokia more.  This is crucial while attempt to emulate mouse - gets closer to the desktop as Palm/iPaq palmtops were those days...

Why no one mentions Symbian for a change?  iPhone share gets still, there are two Google phones to date (one made in Australia) , this is really little... Other Linuxes... I know Motorola has a few Linux/JUIX phones (like Z8) but... I cannot imagine Amiga on it.

@ bloodline

Apple did "release" their iPhone OSX system some months after launch so yes, it is now FULLY open for developers.  So you could make anything to work on iPhone, Apple Inc. wouldn't mind really.

Native ports... how many?  And sum all the figure$... :(

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »

DiskDoctor wrote:
@ persia

Why do all of you hate Windows Mobile platform huh?

I mean... I also used to dislike this.  My wife had this HTC with qwerty keyboard for over a year but recently I simply stole it and gave her my Nokia E65.

I know WM is really dull compared for Symbian feel / performance / support.
But hey, those cells start ruling the world!!  With Microsoft support, also targeted for business (Exchange/ActiveSyns/DirectPush technology), it's getting closer to the consumer.  Also, after iPhone launch, all of a sudden, ALL mobile players started making clones of it! HTC has a new WM Touch line, roughly positioned close to iPhone audience and it works; last year in my country I saw ads of HTC Touch as a phone for women(!).

One more thing - in last two years ALL the other mobile vendors started to support WM - Samsung (i600), LG (KS20), Motorola (Q9h), SE (X1) - expect lot more this year.  So that would be my choice.  It's not about preference, it's about platform's potential.

So yes, win mobile is dull but at least - it is more stable and growing.  Consider also one thing. Windows Mobile Professional edition has a touch UI design.  So all (most) touch cell phones with OSes now are WM Pros, plus iPhone, maybe one Nokia more.  This is crucial while attempt to emulate mouse - gets closer to the desktop as Palm/iPaq palmtops were those days...

WinMobile is a horrible and dated OS... M$ have a dinosaur with it... it's not as nice as either Symbian or OSX... I have yet to use Linux (aka android etc) on a mobile platform

Why no one mentions Symbian for a change?  iPhone share gets still, there are two Google phones to date (one made in Australia) , this is really little... Other Linuxes... I know Motorola has a few Linux/JUIX phones (like Z8) but... I cannot imagine Amiga on it.

@ bloodline

Apple did "release" their iPhone OSX system some months after launch so yes, it is now FULLY open for developers.  So you could make anything to work on iPhone, Apple Inc. wouldn't mind really.

You are quite right, I can develop anything I like. I have the iPhone SDK here. But I can only distribute my Apps to other iPhone (and iPod touch) users via Apple. I can give my app to 100 other people, as per my SDK licence, and as long as I can have physical access to their phone/ipod...

Apple will not publish an App that violates their Terms and conditions. And right now their terms and condition do NOT allow Emualtors.

There are over 20000 Apps avaiable for the iPhone/Ipod touch, right now... I can't count them all...

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 03:51:12 PM »

bloodline wrote:

WinMobile is a horrible and dated OS... M$ have a dinosaur with it... it's not as nice as either Symbian or OSX... I have yet to use Linux (aka android etc) on a mobile platform

I DO agree it's dull and targeted to elderly mid-level managers but, as I was saying...  It is a matter of a market share, for a start.  If it succeeds, you will notice mobileUAE on all the platforms, all of a sudden...

WinMobile Shmobile... but if it (UAE) works...  One guy here (did you?) mentioned Pocket UAE was cool on old Pocket PC.  So what's the story?  Hatred to Bill??

You are quite right, I can develop anything I like. I have the iPhone SDK here. But I can only distribute my Apps to other iPhone (and iPod touch) users via Apple. I can give my app to 100 other people, as per my SDK licence, and as long as I can have physical access to their phone/ipod...

Apple will not publish an App that violates their Terms and conditions. And right now their terms and condition do NOT allow Emualtors.

This sucks then, but... what makes an emulator an emulator???  If you sell iUAE BUNDELED and bound with specific game blah blah blah... it is not an emulator anymore!! :) Like this iPhone Pinball Dreams mentioned here... And Apple lawyers could then go and funk theirselves!

There are over 20000 Apps avaiable for the iPhone/Ipod touch, right now... I can't count them all...

True but what I meant was the amount of $$ that has (will/would) to be spent to have a 50-games Amiga collection "for the native os" - 500$??