Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Forever 2016 with PPC support!  (Read 10582 times)

Description:

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: Impressions/experience from a recent purchaser of AF16
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 07:43:15 PM »
@ all
thanks for the replies/confirmation on emulating PPC OS4.   I'm sure in time that will be knocked out also.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline WeiXing3D

• Show only replies by WeiXing3D
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »
Quote from: Epsilon_;800008
Perhaps my blog post on getting Amiga Forever 2016 up and running with AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Classic may be helpful (assuming OS4 is what you want to run on PPC)?

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/amiga-forever-2016.html

Catcha,
Epsilon

Would my OS4.1 FE for SAM460ex work to install in the AF PPC configuration?
Amiga 1200 fully loaded by Aclii.
AmigaONE X5000 with OS4.1 FE
FPGA Arcade board in miniITX case with AmigaOS3.9 and WB 3.1.
MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz, PowerBook & Power Mac G5
Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.1.1 &
MiST FPGA Minimig Amiga AGA Workbench 3.9 PFS3 configuration.

Offline alberonn

• Show only replies by alberonn
Re: Amiga Forever 2016 with PPC support!
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 09:55:55 PM »
The installation of OS 4.1FE seems pretty straight-forward but I don't have that (yet.) I was wondering what would be the beefiest config for a PPC-accelerated 3.x install. I'm not getting any configs that will boot.

I do love the detail you put into that article about the new AF and setting up 4.1. I may be referring to that when I finally get the disk.

Offline kreciu

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
Quote from: Epsilon_;800008
Perhaps my blog post on getting Amiga Forever 2016 up and running with AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Classic may be helpful (assuming OS4 is what you want to run on PPC)?

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/amiga-forever-2016.html

Catcha,
Epsilon

Very nice manual. I'm also happy that people can by legal ROM files from CSPPC and PIV. I was waiting for AmigaOS 4.1 PPC under UAE for a long time :).
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »
Failing the idiot test here!

I've got AF 2016, OS 4.1FE for Classic and managed to install it successfully once on my PC with a copy of the RP9 as the instructions suggest.  Then STUPIDLY tried to install the extras, not realising that 300MB was nowhere near enough space. Totally messed up the drive.  So started again, but since then I cannot build my own hard drive file AND make it work.

The instructions specifically relating to creating my own hard disk file are not specific enough.  Every time I copy the PPC RP9 as instructed and setup a large disk (1GB in this case), try to follow the steps, I end up either with a DHO is not a DOS disk error or a Guru Meditation loop.  The disk format and installation appear to work but after ejecting the CD and boot floppy then shutting down the emulation, I always get one or other issue. When I finish the install I get a prompt to "commit changes to my external disk" - whether I do or don't doesn't appear to make a difference either!

The instructions contradict the reset option (AF website says to "soft reset" but not with the AF icon, but the installer says to cold reboot and switch off machine).  Where AF website lists hard drive configuration requirements, the descriptions don't match those used in the Media Toolbox for creating the hard file, so I have no idea what part of the hard drive config I am doing wrong.

I hope Cloanto or someone smarter than myself can provide a step-by-step guide to creating a hard-disk file so that the OS 4.1FE installation can be performed without these issues.  Damn - if I could make it work I would write it myself!  I'll keep trying but any help would be very welcome.
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 11:59:14 PM »
@Gryfon

the best step-by-step guide i ever found was from thomas rapp. i'm not sure if the amiga forever version of UAE is sufficiently different to make his instructions not as useful, but i'd still recommend you look through it:

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os41uae/index.html

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Senex

• Show only replies by Senex
    • http://www.amiga-news.de/standard
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 04:47:26 AM »
@Gryfon

The "soft reset" instruction has been added later to the manual after I experienced the same behaviour as you did. There's no real solution to this bug yet, but Cloanto is aware of it, thus I hope it will be fixed soon.

Until then you can't do more than what I've described here.

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I'll give these a shot!

Regards,

Gryfon
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »
There are indeed many posts about this so apologies if everyone has worked it out.

The problem appears to be at the end of the process, after the installation has completed.  At the point you are asked to click "Finish" and reboot, the AF 2016 website suggest a warm reboot using CTRL + Left Amiga + Right Amiga.  I happen to have a PC keyboard where the right-hand Windows key is a Function key instead, rather like those you see on a laptop. So when I couldn't soft reset I was always using the icon in the GUI, which leads to the Guru Meditation problem.  Note - AF 2016 website have updated this, albeit in a tiny modofcation to their instructions, on their website now.

So once the install finished, I went into WinUAE config (F12) and changed the input for Right Amiga to be F11 - a key I know which is free to map.  Ejected my floppy and CD-ROM.

Then I performed a CTRL - Amiga - Amiga soft reset and hey presto!  A perfect launch into my newly installed OS v4.1FE.

And now I'm off to play! Be back MUCH later!

Regards,

Gryfon

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 09:24:46 PM »
Sadly back too soon...

Played for a while, then clicked "Stop" icon at the top.  As the hard file is not embedded I didn't get a request to save it on closing.

Now every time I open the new system, I get the dreaded Guru Meditation.  Perhaps I should have taken a snapshot?  Trying that now.

Regards,

Gryfon

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
Booted from the OS4.1 floppy, with OS4.1 CD image, but just launched directly to Workbench.  Once there, configured F11 to Right Amiga, ejected CD and floppy images and did soft reset.  Booted back to my hard file no problem.

I'll save a snapshot now...

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Nope.  Start and choose the snapshot and all I get is a black screen.  Try to soft-reset that and I get a grey/black flickering screen - I think it's locked in a reboot cycle.

Hmm....

Offline Senex

• Show only replies by Senex
    • http://www.amiga-news.de/standard
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »
For those also experiencing the Guru Meditation problem:

amiga-news.de (german)
amiga-news.de/en (english)

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 05:01:34 PM »
It appears that the AF 2016 website instruction to use SFS/00 might be something to do with the guru error, according to that post.

I'll try again with FFS tonight.  Thank you very much for the link my friend.

Regards,

Gryfon

Quote from: Senex;800307
For those also experiencing the Guru Meditation problem:

amiga-news.de (german)
amiga-news.de/en (english)

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Failure again and again.  I just cannot get either the hard drive to be bootable ("Not a DOS disk" after installation and restart) or Guru Meditation using SFS/00.

I've read clicking F12 early start I can select the hard disk and make it bootable, when when I click F12 the display is sqiushed over the left hand side of the screen, I cant read all of the buttons or descriptions and the rest of the screen is black. I've tried just about every combination of fiddling with different display options in WinUAE but can't get the screen to render properly, so can't test my theory.

Also got an AF 2016 update today but this doesn't appear to have made a difference.

I can get everything configured more or less they way I need to, but a step-by-step guide to creating a hard file and selecting the correct Media Toolbox settings is what Cloanto need to produce.  There are some WinUAE guides out there which I may play with, but since I'm using AF 2016 I prefer to do it in a way that will work withing AF 2016.

I'm not giving up, but it's kind of frustrating.

Regards,

Gryfon

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 15, 2015, 09:57:16 PM »
Having finally gotten a chance to play around a bit with OS4.1 Classic on WinUAE, on my system it's pretty poky, but then I've got a pretty old and creaky system (Phenom X4/940 @ 3ghz, 8gb DDR2 RAM).

Doing a new build in a couple of weeks (FX-6300, 16gb DDR3 @3200), we'll see how it behaves then.
Back away from the EU-SSR!