Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out  (Read 4032 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;752728
Heck, now that they are cheap, I might just buy an XBOX360 to hack around with and experiment with homebrew software.
I'd consider that with a PS3, but Sony really skimped on the XDR memory in that console.

There always seemed to be more homebrew for the PS3 than xbox 360 and it's generally easier to hack (as long as the PS3 hasn't had it's firmware updated past 3.55)

Offline motrucker

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
SONY can keep their crap. I'll stick with the pc for modern gaming.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;752775
SONY can keep their crap. I'll stick with the pc for modern gaming.

And you are willing to pay as much for your video card as a console gamer pays for his whole platform, right?

That does it, I've decided to stick with Android gaming.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Djole

• Show only replies by Djole
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »
Quote from: _ThEcRoW;752758
Why don't you call it pirated games instead of backup?.

Pirated, cracked, copied, backed up, not original, downloaded, whatever, I am sure you know what I mean. I will make a drawing next time :).
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
The only time I really have for gaming now, is on the tube... So basically if the game doesn't exist for the iPad, I just don't have time to play it :( I would love to have played skyrim...

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 12:45:03 AM »
Quote from: Djole;752801
Pirated, cracked, copied, backed up, not original, downloaded, whatever, I am sure you know what I mean. I will make a drawing next time :).

Tell me when shall I get out my popcorn please? :D

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 02:41:19 AM »
Can't say the PS4 has generated a lot of interest in me. The specs are too low. Some of the games that have been released or being released soon are limited to lower than 1080p which has been standard on the pc for a while. They had to do this because the games were skipping frames. It isn't even out yet, yet they have to lower the screen res to keep the frame rate high. That doesn't speak well for a console that is designed for a 10 year life span.

Also I think the touchpad on the controller is a gimmick. On the otherhand the move sensor being incorporated into the controller is a good idea. Still a gimmick though. But at the end of the day the Playstation controllers are the best controllers money can buy (in my opinion).

I'll probably buy one though. Consoles are a lot easier to set up when your mates come around for a drink. Too much messing around with pc's. Consoles are more convenient.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »
My problem with this generation of consoles (excluding Nintendo as since the Wii they have decided last generation quality graphics are enough to compete) is that for the first time on launch day there are plenty of PC machines that will perform better than them.

Atari 2600 vs Hercules PC
Commodore 64/Colecovision vs CGA PC
Amiga 1000 vs PC-AT
PS1 vs MMX PC
Xbox1 vs Pentium 3 PC
360 vs PC

OK in some cases it's very close and the difference is made up for by coding for a closed hardware reference vs a million and one hardware combinations running on a sh1t OS that throws CPU power away for no reason on top of that.

But the PS4 and even more so the Xbox-One are really budget priced AMD CPU'd spec PCs costing very little. The exclusive titles are getting less and less exclusive and the fact that the two new consoles are essentially PCs just running a different OS will mean greedy software house will not be able to resist doing crappy ports on PC (and telling you to run them on an i7 to compensate for crap OS/coding).

We are now in the situation of NES vs Amiga 1000. What kind of idiot would buy an NES instead of an Amiga 500 in 1988 before the Sega 16bit consoles....hmmm....I see your point....in the US they will be a massive success I guess if history repeats itself LOL

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 01:26:24 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;752832
We are now in the situation of NES vs Amiga 1000. What kind of idiot would buy an NES instead of an Amiga 500 in 1988 before the Sega 16bit consoles....hmmm....I see your point....in the US they will be a massive success I guess if history repeats itself LOL

In Sweden NES was super common, A500s also but younglings had a NES and the little older kids had A500s.

Most kids got a NES at birthdays/x-mas since they were easier to use for the Young ones, no loading times and no switching mouse/joysick etc.

Also cartridges was easier to handle then floppies for kids.

But looking at people at ages 12-30 everyone had a A500 :) Atari ST was not to common here, I knew no one who had an Atari ST.
Later when SNES came out the poorer people bought used NES.

(This is how it was where I lived back then).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 01:30:35 PM by som99 »

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
The new consoles don't really interest me, then again, apart from a PS1 and an Atari 2600 I've never owned consoles when they were fresh and popular. I actually hate joypads. So for me it'll still be Steam.

Offline AAACHIPSET

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;752730
Well I ordered my PS 4 :D I do not regret it a bit. I sold my xBox 360 and bought me a PS 4 :D I am going to have so much fun with it hehehe!!
im thinking of a playstation 2  just for a dvd player in my bedroom ..then i heard a dreamcast could play vcds ...an that playstation 1 can also play vcds  if the movie is incoded to pss format ..why buy just a dvd player  ..more fun the other way ..an i only just got a ps3 a year  or 2 ago ..just for tennis games  ..topspin4  is mad ..if ps4 gets a great tennis game prob  get one then ..
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »
Quote from: odin;752843
The new consoles don't really interest me, then again, apart from a PS1 and an Atari 2600 I've never owned consoles when they were fresh and popular. I actually hate joypads. So for me it'll still be Steam.

Indeed. In the whole desert island scenario if I could only have three machines (with access to any game ever produced on them) I would probably go with 2600, C64 and PS1. Those three machines have such an amazing back catalogue and for the EU were a revolution in the late 70s to late 90s. You could not ask for a finest back catalogue of games on any other combination of 3 systems in my opinion.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »
Quote from: odin;752843

Personally, I really liked the Sega Dreamcast myself.
Neat design.
Show how bad my judgement can be though (I think I still have one of those around somewhere...).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline hazydave

• Show only replies by hazydave
    • http://www.frogpondmedia.com
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 07:52:29 PM »
No gaming console has ever launched with a CPU even close to comparing to the better PC processors at the time of launch. They win by offering additional stuff you don't find on the average PC... new GPUs, extra processors as on the PS3, etc.  The PPCs in the PS3 and X-Box 360 were clocked very fast, sure, but they were super simple processors, simple pipeline, small caches, etc. compared to desktop processors.

It's easy to understand why. For one, a game console has to be relative cheap to sell. They come out expensive, early on, to help cover the NRE on the design, but they have to be able to get cheap... no one wants to subsidize the cost for the life of the product. They also have to be low power.. no one will accept a huge fan in their livingroom. So the design has to be largely something that can be integrated onto a few chips.

Both PS4 and X-Box One are using multi-core AMDs, both with an upgraded GPU architecture. These are not going to outperform my desktop PC. On the other hand, being on the same chip, the CPU to GPU path is faster than any PC (well, other than those new ones using the same tech that's been released into new AMD chips), and yet it's not the crap GPU you find in, say, Intel's laptop processors.

And then the other factor in gaming consoles... the games get optimized for that specific architecture. Gaming companies know they have 5-8 years of the same console, with virtually no piracy. So they put in the time to optimize for a specific console. Every PC has different CPU and GPU combinations, so there's never this kind of machine-specific tweaking for PC gaming. Sure, new games will look better on your best-in-class PCs. The consoles always look better than mainstream PCs, at least for a couple of years.

Offline hazydave

• Show only replies by hazydave
    • http://www.frogpondmedia.com
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;752904
Personally, I really liked the Sega Dreamcast myself.
Neat design.
Show how bad my judgement can be though (I think I still have one of those around somewhere...).

The Dreamcast was at least an improvement, but Sega did such a crappy job on the Saturn, they never recovered. The Saturn had more processor chips than Nintendo or Sony had chips in their system... it was under-powered and yet more expensive to make than the competition.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 05, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Quote from: hazydave;758490
The Dreamcast was at least an improvement, but Sega did such a crappy job on the Saturn, they never recovered. The Saturn had more processor chips than Nintendo or Sony had chips in their system... it was under-powered and yet more expensive to make than the competition.

The Sega Saturn underpowered...

...that brings to mind an interesting article I recently read:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/bfwwiwa-issue-1-sega-saturn.361538/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs