Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Video] The Story of RoboCop, the 1988 Video Game  (Read 1366 times)

Description:

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
Re: [Video] The Story of RoboCop, the 1988 Video Game
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 08, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;821767
No not hard to understand at all.  I just find it interesting how Portuguese is pronounced.

Good video,  thanks.

I see, you're talking regarding Portuguese English pronunciation. I've found an interesting link on the subject.

It's the general sound structure of the language... In both Portuguese and Russian there is a strong tonic accent with stressed vowel sounds having open and closed quality and the vowels in other syllables are quite reduced into different types of schwas, /%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!601;/ and /%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!592;/, or else even clipped off. In addition there are many soft consonants that are the same in both languages: for example, %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!643; %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!679; %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!658; %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!597; z v. Palatalized consonants are noticeably quite frequent. Actually the two languages are remarkably similar in sound. It's not surprising that speakers might have similar accents in English.

The sounds of Spanish are quite different: 5 mid-closed vowels with the same quality in each syllable. It's a syllable timed language with no syllable reduction giving it a staccato rhythm. Palatalized consonants are completely absent but weakened approximants like %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!946; ð %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!611; abound. Spanish actually mirrors modern Greek quite well, but sounds totally different than Portuguese.

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

guest19445

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
Very interesting! :) Thanks for sharing, pixie!

Offline David Wright

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
I would have thought hearing your accent that you would be eastern European.
Portugal? Never.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »
cool video
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

guest19445

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »
Thanks again, guys! Truly appreciate it!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »
@PixelTHING

Thanks that was great! Brings back memories of the Hollywood Collection for the Atari ST back when I thought it was comparable to the Amiga! Robocop though was fairly identical on both formats. The digitised Robocop voice at the start was a highlight was was the shooting range mini games ;-) Great licensed game second only to Batman The Movie!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline nicholas

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 02:05:07 AM »
Quote from: pixie;821776
I see, you're talking regarding Portuguese English pronunciation. I've found an interesting link on the subject.

Not just when a Portuguese speaks English but even the Portuguese language itself sounds Slavic. One side of our family is Bosnian and I swear I couldn't tell the difference between both languages being spoken lol
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 02:14:31 AM »
Quote from: pixie;821775
I find it odd that after having heard catalan I find it more closer to how we sound then actual Castilian, regarding Slavic I didn't even knew... got to check it out! :)

It's fascinating to me how languages develop alongside one another in close proximity yet can sound so different despite looking pretty much identical in written form.

My wife's family make fun of the way Spaniards speak Castillian with an effeminate lisp  (Thilly Thauthages vs Silly Sausages) and claim that Rio Platense Spanish is "correct Spanish" despite it being mostly Italian.  Similar to how some USAians say the same about their corrupted form of English.

Crazy colonists! Lol
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 06:48:12 AM »
Awesome work PixelTHING :D

really enjoyed the backstory behind Ocean and impressed at the amount of coverage of the different ports to different systems :)

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

guest19445

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
Your feedback is really important! Thank you so much, guys! Appreciate it! :)