Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why they are not producing new a1200 compatible motherboard?  (Read 2577 times)

Description:

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
Re: Why they are not producing new a1200 compatible motherboard?
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 04, 2006, 07:55:39 PM »
here are schematics for PS2 and PC keyboard adapter in Protel format in case someone needs them..
Better sorry than worry.

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 09:28:50 PM »
There was recently talk about a A500/600 CPU/RAM upgrade card, what ever happened to that?
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 09:33:41 PM »
http://ami.ga/news/news116_e.htm

new products delayed
The release of the A600 accelerator and the A500 version of the IDE controller Buddha will be delayed indefinitely. The main reason is contract work that will keep us busy for the next few weeks. Please refrain from requesting any of these products.

Offline amiga_3k

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 10:07:15 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:
@Zombi

I agree with your ideas 90%

I mean how the heck did they Justify making the Phoenix Replacement board for the A1000?

I think an A1200 New Mobo will sell wayyyy more than a Phoenix.
 However.....I do partially understand what Jens said and believe him.

The Phoenix has been developed and build in a time where the Amiga was still very unique multimedia wise (it still is but right now I'm even capable of hooking a WindowsPC to a TV-set if I like [I don't, so I won't]). Apparently there was still enough of a market to put the money and time into it. The Phoenix also has the advantage that it took the socketed Amiga custom-chips. This meant that the A1000, A500 and A2000 could be used as 'donor'.

Right now I'm admiring people like Jens who pull off the impossible when it comes to classic-Amiga add-ons. Sure, if you only look at component pricing then the hardware produced seem way over-priced. But... in a tight market as the Amiga's you won't get 'volume-discount'. People like Jens have to take in account that not all the products produced are being sold-out. And he must be totally mad about the Amiga taking the financial-risks he's taking when desigining and producng new Amiga hardware.
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 11:03:09 PM »
 Jens has given a clear picture of modern manufacturing for small markets;and that is the current Amiga market.
 Lack of advertising hurt the Amiga when it was a new computer;many don't realize how expensive advertising is ,and yet how nwcwssary if your product is ever going to sell widely.
 For example,American made ATVs were sold by the hundreds to hunters and farmers because they were advertised only in hunting and farming magazines as a tool to make work easier----then the Japanese decided to produce and market them as a fun toy,er, recreation vehicle, and advertised EVERYWHERE! They spent millions on ads and sold millions of units.
 I don't know who is going to spend millions advertising Amigas now.

Raw materials or component costs are usually 10 to 15 percent of the retail cost of most items.
  Does everyone realize the farmer gets less than 5 cents of the $1.89 that loaf of buttertop bread sells for?

Having said that, I wonder if a new A500 accelerator/memory/usb trapdoor card could be made ?
   Maybe a 50mhz 030,simm or dimm socket for pc100 or 133 and just one usb port.After all we can buy  4 or 7 port hubs cheap.

Offline DamageX

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 06:25:41 AM »
I would also like to see a new classic Amiga motherboard. Probably the cost is too prohibitive as has been said, but what do you guys think about this approach. In order to take advantage of existing, cheap, readily available parts wherever possible, make a motherboard (AT/ATX formfactor?) with PCI slots, SIMM or DIMM slots, headers for serial/parallel/disks/video, sockets for CPU/ROM/custom chips.

Then the user can go to his or her computer scrap pile and grab a 680x0 or PPC CPU from an obsolete Mac, spare OCS/ECS and CIA chips, PCI SVGA/ethernet cards, and standard RAM/case/PSU.

If some kind of OS4-capable PPC board will come along soon and offer an acceptable price/performance, that would be nice too.

Offline amiga_3k

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »
@DamageX:

In my opinion the thing that makes an Amiga an Amiga 1200 is the AGA chip-set and the lack of ZORRO III and build-in CD-ROM drive. I guess it would be possible to create somekind of PCB that would allow the installation of the AGA chips and some other stuff to make it a complete computer-mainboard. And if you're really clever you might as well be capable of adding stuff to it like CyberstormPPC and some bits and bobs to give it more common connectivity.

Say... you're very capable and you can make that PCB design, based on current A1200 layout, the layouts used by CyberstormPPC, and the lot you want added as well. And just assume you've got access to tools to place SMD-components on that PCB as well... then still you've got that tiny little piece missing called the AGA Chip-set. This chip-set is next to impossible to get hold of. So you either need the exact recipe to reproduce them, idealy provided by Amiga Inc. (if they do have the complete-recipe) or you need to reverse-engineer them with the sure chance that it's not a carbon-copy of the original set allowing loads of incompatibility.

Also... if it were all that easy I'd imagine Adam from ACK or Jens from Individual, already had a nice add-on for the classic-Amiga with all the modern stuff on it. And I'm sure both can pull it off... but chances are realistic that they won't get the invested money back, especially with new designs like Samantha at the horizon. Once Samantha (or one of the other promissed systems) become available with OS4 in big enough quantities I guess the classic Amiga will loose ground quite quick.

Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 07:55:24 PM »
The best bet would be for someone to produce the minimig board in some sort of kit or semi-kit fashion.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline utri007

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 10:10:39 PM »
All of you forget that kind of aga amiga replacement is allready developed.

If some on could get BoXeR schematics ? it has more advanced aga than orginal etc. it uses fpga.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline utri007

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 10:15:17 PM »
All of you forget that kind of aga amiga replacement is allready developed.

If some on could get BoXeR schematics ? it has more advanced aga than orginal etc. it uses fpga.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 10:54:04 PM »
It's a mystery whatever hapened with the BoXeR, I think they could have communicated better when they developed BoXeR. People like me where waiting for three+ years only to hear it was dumped, I had close to 800 euros saved and a bare 060 chip waiting for it.

There are some Atari clones, but I have not found much info on them, however Atari must be easier to clone. But then makes you wonder, if they can sell an Atari clone with 060 chip is the Atari market bigger than the Amiga market? Though a Milan had a price of 1500 Dmark I think. Perhaps an Amiga clone would cost 3500 dollars to be profitable. That would be 2800 dollars to much IMHO.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie