Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be  (Read 2812 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »
It's no secret OSNews has a bit of a thing for the BeOS. I can only speak for myself, obviously, but relatively speaking, BeOS was the best operating system ever made. The man who started all this was Jean-Louis Gassee, former executive at Apple, who founded Be, Inc. in 1991. In the second half of the '90s, Apple was looking for a replacement for its heavily outdated Mac OS, after several failed attempts at developing its own - it came down to Steve Jobs NeXT, or BeOS. Be didn't make it, and Gassee is happier for it.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/11/gassee-thank-god-apple-chose-steve-jobss-next-over-my-beos/

Original Article: http://www.osnews.com/comments/25329
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline nicholas

Re: Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »
I can't wait for the 68k port of Haiku to be in a usable state.  It would make a great alternative OS for the NatAmi/FPGA Replay machines.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline tone007

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »
To BeOS or not to BeOS, what was the question?
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;667980
I can't wait for the 68k port of Haiku to be in a usable state.  It would make a great alternative OS for the NatAmi/FPGA Replay machines.
I'd love for the PPC port to be under active development again, but asking around on the forums it seems like nobody cares about it anymore... :/
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:21:38 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;667983
I'd love for the PPC port to be under active development again, but asking around on the forums it seems like nobody cares about it anymore... :/

Ditto, it would breathe some life back into some of the old Apple hardware I have cluttering up the house.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »
It's a shame BeOS never had support for G3 CPU's. I have three iMacs just sitting around collecting dust.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:39:59 PM »
Thank God or what?  If they had, he would have had 125 million in the coffers rather than the pocket change from Palm.

The deal was screwed from the start just with the history between he and Jobs, IMHO.  I really loved BeOS, but all I read in that post is Gassee being cranky about not cashing in.  His relationship with Jobs, he figured he could push the issue and win in regards to flogging the OS.  Was a pissing match that didn't prove to be the big payoff for Gassee, and there would have been no working things out between Jobs and him.

Labor of love or not, he turned down 125 million from Apple, demanding 200 million.  Be got 11 mill in 2001 for the works from Palm, which has also gone the way of the dodo.

There's 100 long gone OS's that were a far superior product in some regards even in comparison to todays mainstream OS's, sadly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:42:33 PM by Duce »

Offline Tension

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 09:45:45 PM »
Quote from: Duce;667995
Thank God or what?  If they had, he would have had 125 million in the coffers rather than the pocket change from Palm.

The deal was screwed from the start just with the history between he and Jobs, IMHO.  I really loved BeOS, but all I read in that post is Gassee being cranky about not cashing in.  His relationship with Jobs, he figured he could push the issue and win in regards to flogging the OS.  Was a pissing match that didn't prove to be the big payoff for Gassee, and there would have been no working things out between Jobs and him.

Labor of love or not, he turned down 125 million from Apple, demanding 200 million.  Be got 11 mill in 2001 for the works from Palm, which has also gone the way of the dodo.

There's 100 long gone OS's that were a far superior product in some regards even in comparison to todays mainstream OS's, sadly.

+1

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
He did say he got new wheels for his chair though! ;)

Quote from: Duce;667995

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 12:24:10 AM »
I have been playing with Haiku recently and I am simply surprised how little code it actually takes to create a UI window and work with it. It's really an excellent model as to how an OS should work. I am fairly impressed by it. I wasn't aware there was a 68k version of it being built.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 12:33:50 AM »
The more I learn about Haiku, the more I think I'm falling in love with it. Minimalist that I am, I was a bit derisively skeptical of things like metadata in the filesystem, but it looks like they actually have ideas for using it instead of just having it in there because it sounded cool, and in general concept it just seems like everything I thought Linux would be but isn't. I'm gonna give it a go alongside XP on my newest acquisition, and see if it's as nice to use as it is to read about...

Certainly sounds better than NeXTStep/OSX, at least.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 01:00:32 AM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;668015
I have been playing with Haiku recently and I am simply surprised how little code it actually takes to create a UI window and work with it. It's really an excellent model as to how an OS should work. I am fairly impressed by it. I wasn't aware there was a 68k version of it being built.

Beautiful API isn't it?

Francois Revol is the guy working on getting it to compile and boot on the Aranym VM.

http://haiku-files.org/unsupported-builds/m68k/

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 01:10:09 AM »
Beware, it's still in Alpha.

Unlike caertain other alt OS'. The Haiku team does not suggest this to replace your main OS with yet. At this point, it's mainly only good for developers and the curious.

Use a virtual machine too. It's highly unlikely that you'll have the perfect hardware combo for this to work with. I had a computer that RC1 ran fine on, but RC2 and 3 won't even fully boot on.

On the otherhand, I bet version 1.0 is really going to Be something when it gets here.

68k Haiku....  WHAT?!!

Quote from: commodorejohn;668016
The more I learn about Haiku, the more I think I'm falling in love with it. Minimalist that I am, I was a bit derisively skeptical of things like metadata in the filesystem, but it looks like they actually have ideas for using it instead of just having it in there because it sounded cool, and in general concept it just seems like everything I thought Linux would be but isn't. I'm gonna give it a go alongside XP on my newest acquisition, and see if it's as nice to use as it is to read about...

Certainly sounds better than NeXTStep/OSX, at least.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 01:22:36 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;668022
Unlike caertain other alt OS'. The Haiku team does not suggest this to replace your main OS with yet. At this point, it's mainly only good for developers and the curious.
Right, but I figure I'll give it a shot at least to see what it's like, even if it's not something I'd be ready to move over to yet.
Use a virtual machine too. It's highly unlikely that you'll have the perfect hardware combo for this to work with. I had a computer that RC1 ran fine on, but RC2 and 3 won't even fully boot on.
Hmm, I tried it on a Core 2 Duo box I nabbed from the recycle center, with an i945 board...the installer seemed happy enough with it, but I haven't tried anything with video acceleration, sound, or networking yet.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 01:25:09 AM »
I advise installing Alpha 3 and then immediately installing a nightly build over the top.  That way you get all the apps that come with the Alpha and all the recent bug fixes and improvements from the nightly.