Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3  (Read 19446 times)

Description:

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Re: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;656503
"it might be..."??? Noooo go buy it! Man that was just stupid. Sad to see the same bitter people saying the same things like little jealous children. If they don't show it exists it's vapor and will never happen. If they show it early with beta software and clearly with debug running it's slow. "you only get one chanse of a first impression"? What morron thinks that the final product will be like this. It's so stupid it's hilarious :-D

Wording like "stupid" and "moron" is pretty funny coming from somebody who only boots their computer to spend hours fiddling with the color settings in the BIOS configuration:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=34091&forum=14&start=200&viewmode=flat&order=0#626134
Yes I hope so too because I tend to stare at the uboot screen for several hours so now I change the colours every time I turn my A1 on. I wish I had that feature for BIOS on my PC or my PowerMac. I actually stare for so long that I rarely ever boot to see the OS.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;656465
But serial debug doesn't explain everything. When I used my Peg1 with serial debug enabled it didn't bot that slow.

Perhaps booting from a CD-ROM? Or no functioning DMA?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »
While I was looking forward to the X1000 being released and buying one, I don't think I'll be bothering anymore... :(

Last thing I want to do with an Amiga is run OS 4.x on it... :(

Thing I'll pin my hopes on the NatAmi instead, seem a much more suitable system for me... :)

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;656478
+ 1.....it's in BETA people !

I don't think it looks like it is in a phase where testers would try to find the last bugs before the final release? It looks more like there still might be some actual development to do, not just beta testing? Can "serial debug" really be the whole answer to why it's *this* slow, or could it be that some drivers are simply not fully developed yet?

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
Truth:
HW development started 2 years ago (or whenever they started babbling that "MAP" nonsense).

SW development started over 1 year ago (as prooven by showing it last summer).

It is slow, even with all things like heavy debug, PIO-mode or seriously underclocked CPU (why ?) considered.

Compare what is shown today with what was shown last year and then tell me what conclusion can be pulled from that evidence.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »
Well folks, you can spin it however you want but it does at least show progress is being made. Not long ago, the hardware was consigned to the vapourware cupboard after the (inevitable*) delays. Then when a few boards were spotted and it was said that it ran linux OS4.x for the board was dismissed as vapourware by many of the same people.

*I've never seen an Amiga-related project released on time since the C= days.
int p; // A

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;656529
Well folks, you can spin it however you want but it does at least show progress is being made. Not long ago, the hardware was consigned to the vapourware cupboard after the (inevitable*) delays. Then when a few boards were spotted and it was said that it ran linux OS4.x for the board was dismissed as vapourware by many of the same people.

Hmm... wasnt it booting to full Workbench in that VCF event?

Anyway I noticed that booting BIOS was very slow. It took almost 20 seconds there. I dont know if it was cold booting and waiting for hard disks to spin up but that too was very slow otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:13:32 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
Slow booting better be due to verbose/debug mode.

My SAM 440ep with a SSD boots fully to WB screen within 4-5 seconds under OS 4.1u2.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
LOL, Amiga people talking about vaporware, like it's some kind of stinging, insightful remark.

I think looking at the video, booting today and so on, that the true production would be in another 1.5 years away. They must move this whole thing along faster. I would say they need more people on their team. I'd also say they don't have the money to hire more, qualified persons.

Lastly, they don't seem to make any emphasis on the interesting part; the hardware. They need to push that to the front, not booting OS4... You can do that on an A1200. Where is the focus, the vision?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:12:25 PM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »
Quote from: Piru;656509
Indeed it is, and the person who introduced that nonsense was certain "Ben Hermans". Ever heard of him?

http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?show=1052492275&category=news&number=26

Yeah I've heard of him. I've also heard about a big baby called Piru, you know him?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
Quote from: itix;656532
Hmm... wasnt it booting to full Workbench in that VCF event?

I only saw videos of it running, not booting. I can imagine that booting spits out a lot more debug than once you're into normal operation.

Also, I don't recall clearly, but wasn't that a different (earlier) board revision at VCF?
int p; // A

Offline HotRod

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;656513
Haha what. I never said it was vapor. And I said it's slow as demonstrated because it is, in fact, slow as demonstrated. Probably it will improve, but that doesn't change the facts as they stand at the moment: it's slow. Not quite dog-slow like some OSes, but still, slow.

I aimed at the might be comment and included comments from other people and put my thoughts out on them too.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;656523
Wording like "stupid" and "moron" is pretty funny coming from somebody who only boots their computer to spend hours fiddling with the color settings in the BIOS configuration:

erm .... hey Mr Smart .. he was joking "toward" realize!

Offline HotRod

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 08:39:36 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;656523

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=34091&forum=14&start=200&viewmode=flat&order=0#626134

Do I really need to type a fitting word for you now or can you figure out what I think of that comment all by yourself? I can give you a hint: Actually there are several fitting words and none of them are positive. But hey, you didn't understand why I wrote what you quote so you probably won't figure this out either ;-)

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;656528
Truth:
HW development started 2 years ago (or whenever they started babbling that "MAP" nonsense).

SW development started over 1 year ago (as prooven by showing it last summer).

It is slow, even with all things like heavy debug, PIO-mode or seriously underclocked CPU (why ?) considered.

Compare what is shown today with what was shown last year and then tell me what conclusion can be pulled from that evidence.

You mean like "what HW were they running back then, since OS4 runs like this on the X1000 today?"

Or perhaps it's reverse engineering, and I mean *literary* reverse engineering; like starting with a developed, fast product, and then "develop it in reverse" to become an undeveloped, slow product? :lol: :p ;)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #44 from previous page: August 28, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;656542
Do I really need to type a fitting word for you now or can you figure out what I think of that comment all by yourself? I can give you a hint: Actually there are several fitting words and none of them are positive. But hey, you didn't understand why I wrote what you quote so you probably won't figure this out either ;-)

you score 1:0 here, sir, not joking.

Today 08:14 PM

@ takemehomegrandma
i think he means, that the current stage of whats presented to the public i this video was already public last year, that means os4.x booting and slowly working on x1k hardware. no noticeable progress here. for me it is just inline with other amiga related ng projects such as natami or fpga arcade. not enough steady updates here, even though x1k still promisses best bang per buck, though with probably steeper investment ist the most risky alternative.