Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Joystick Support in UAE  (Read 5285 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Joystick Support in UAE
« on: December 14, 2002, 05:39:56 AM »
 How would I set up UAE to detect my 10 Button joypad as a CD32 joypad, I can only seem to use the joypad in compatability mode and that is that, in which case only  1 button seems to be of any use in a game. :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
Re: Joystick Support in UAE
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 11:58:39 AM »
Doesn't the newest version of WinUAE got a built-in keyconfig?

Nice Nietzche quoting btw.. but it's mis-spelled.  :-)
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 06:39:39 PM »
 Yuck! Well yuck unless you can switch over Joystick controls to Keyboard AND Mouse, otherwise screw keyboard. :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 06:14:46 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Amiga's used the same joysticks as the Early Atari 2600, which only supported 1 button (Why would you ever need more   :-D )

Anyway having said that, there is very little reason to support higher button joysticks or gamepads in emulation mode. Note that at the time Nintendo was able to do 2 button gamepads!
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 07:52:34 PM »
 And my answer to that would be, because I am not just playing those old ass games. I'd prefer about12 buttons if I had the choice. 1 button sux, cause then you must push up to jump, 2 buttons sucks, cause then you can only do 2 things, 3 sux... ect ect ect

See my point?

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 11:40:37 PM »
I don't know what version of UAE you're using (0.#.## or *nix, Windows, Mac), but I think Desolator was talking about the "Input" tab on the WinUAE "Properties" window.  Here you can map any buttons/axis on a DirectX compliant joystick/pad to any  Amiga keyboard key, mouse button/axis, or joystick/pad button/axis (incl. the CD32 pad).  I'm using WinUAE 0.8.22 R2, but I seem to recall this particular tab in 0.8.14.  I could be wrong though...
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 05:06:11 AM »
 Unfortunatly that does not work, the joystick only responds when it is set to compatability mode. :/

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2002, 08:36:12 PM »
Have you tried switching from "Compatibility Mode" to 'Configuration #1-#4' from the "Mode" pull down menu?  It should present you with a blank slate (in terms of button/axis bindings).  You can then copy the default config (to give you something to start with) by clicking the pulled down menu directly under the "Copy from:" button and then clicking "Copy from:".

I could grab some screens and email them, if that would help...
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »
I have the same problem. I have several versions of winuae, from amiga forever 1.0 to the 2006 version to several I have downloaded.
none seems to handle more than one button very well. I have BCkid and a few other games that can use at least 2 buttons.
the one I really don't like is the up for jump thing.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »
This may not be any help but I have a cheap adaptor to use a PS2 controller, and it works fine for games that used a 2 button joystick, pretty much without any hassle at all

Throw in a program to map keyboard functions to the joypad and you are pretty set.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 02:51:48 AM »
Wow, this old post is still going?

I resolved my issues a while back, though now I don't even bother with WinUAE for my gaming needs as I've aquired and supped up a couple of Amigas since then.

Anyhow I know have a rare PS2 Controller to Amiga adapter that acts exactly like a CD32 controller...

...only better! :)

Offline Gilthanaz

• Show only replies by Gilthanaz
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
On a sidenote, you might also simply use SEGA Megadrive controllers. They plug in and work instantly - guess its not only the same connector, but the same pin layout. Some games even support the 3rd button on the pad.

Edit:
Bleh ... read first... post later... I've meant SEGA Controllers work on real Amigas. However, I've seen 9-pin SUB connector pads/joysticks brought to work via some piece of software (of course I forgot the name) on serial ports PC with UAE. That was quite a while ago, but fitting in this necro thread :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:25:01 AM by Gilthanaz »