Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Hard Drive Set Up  (Read 4226 times)

Description:

Offline dennisrcTopic starter

• Show only replies by dennisrc
Old Hard Drive Set Up
« on: December 05, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »
After years of sitting in cuboard, I have resarected my Amiga A1200HD, already I have had help to find lead to connect monitor, and at last re booted it to find it would not boot, I was suspitiouse that the floppy was faulty, i ordered and fitted it but first disconected hard drive, and was pleased to see it asked for disk, I reconected hard drive then found two new icons on screen refering I asume to hard drive SDH0:NDOS also SDH1:EiSo but will not boot from these, I have a £.1 install disk and have tried to use it but I just can't get to grips with it allI tried failled, can anyone point me in right direction be aware I'm no expert so be gentle this machine I waited ages for as it was the one Escom produced after big shock of crash
thanks Dennis

Offline motrucker

Re: Old Hard Drive Set Up
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
Sounds like your hard drive has headed south for the winter. You may try Disk Slav on it, but you more than likely you will have set up the drive again.
Is there another A1200 close you double check the drive on?
You do have original Workbench/OS disks I hope.
What happens when you insert the Workbench disk (floppy).
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
You've somehow managed to trash the contents of the HD, hence the DH0:NDOS... (most likely the RDB)... :(

You'll need HDtoolbox or HDinstalltools from your Workbench disks (if you have them). Best thing to do would be to firstly try reinstalling the RDB with HDInstalltools and see if you can get it working from there, that way you may be able to recover some data/files that you may already have on the HD.

Failing that it looks like you'll need to do a complete repartitioning and quick format of the HD using HDtoolbox and then re-install Workbench 3.x, but this will lose any data/files you may have on the HD that you might be wanting to try and recover... :)

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
Hi Franco you are certainaly right about trash the hard drive, going back to the time I finally put it away (couldn't bring myself to scrap it) I half remember fa fault on it and I ended up formatig drive to start again, but it didn;t boot at all, had a feeling since I got it back out that fault was due to floppy so I replaced it and now it goots to workbenchoff floppy I have all disks you  mentioned, and I tried to remove and re partition but I didn't quite understand what it was doing it seemed to be split in two with half dense black other half fine cross patern can only judge on pc H/D when you can make one big partition, think its too late to save files now I just would like to boot straight from H/D I apreciate your quick response
Dennis

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:48 PM »
Thanks motrucker for reply it now boots ok from floppy to work bench 3.1, just think I made mistake right back in time when I put it away I blamed H/D insted of floppy ( I'm still thick guess thats my age now 72)

Offline motrucker

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 04:05:06 AM »
Hey, I just turned 64. Franko has pretty much pegged it, I think. If this is from an old problem, then just set up the hard drive again. Use HDTools from your 3.1 disks, partition it the way you want, then format the partitions, then reinstall 3.1 on the drive. It should be pretty easy, and straightforward.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
thanks again for you help, i now have two hard drive icons the none doss has gone, but can't now find a way to reload workbench 3.1, now when I try to load "Install 3.1" it just keeps re cycling and I have to do a reboot to stop it , I tried to drag workbench  to H/D but that also wont workthe Insall 3.1 worked ok first time I tried it
Dennis

Offline Thomas

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »
when I try to load "Install 3.1" it just keeps re cycling and I have to do a reboot to stop it

Do you have an accelerator with 68060? If so, make a copy of the install disk and replace 68040.library by the dummy 68040.library which comes with the 68060 libs. After installation copy 68060.library to the installed libs directory.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
Sorry Thomas but you have lost me, this is first time I have tried to use this computer since around 1996 about 8 months after Escom re released this comp  I have now, and Im green to what more has developed since and I have no idea what 68060 accelorator is
Thanks Dennis

Offline Thomas

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
The Motorolla 68060 is the biggest member of the 68000 processor family, a.k.a. 68k. An accelerator is an expansion card for the Amiga which contains a faster processor than that on the motherboard and usually some more features like RAM and SCSI.

Accelerators for the Amiga were made all the time and I think in 1996 even the CyberStormPPC / BlizzardPPC, i.e. the greatest accelerators ever, were already available or at least advertised.

So if your Amiga contains an accelerator card with a 68060 processor, then the Install disk will not boot because the processor support software it contains (68040.library) does not run on a 68060.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 10:27:52 PM »
Quote from: dennisrc;597439
Sorry Thomas but you have lost me, this is first time I have tried to use this computer since around 1996 about 8 months after Escom re released this comp  I have now, and Im green to what more has developed since and I have no idea what 68060 accelorator is
Thanks Dennis

If you unplug the power supply, flip the computer over, and remove the plastic door on the bottom, what do you see inside? If there is a circuit board there, can take a photo of it and post it here. We can tell you from there.

The other possible problem is that your Install disk is corrupted (not real likely however). But, you must boot from the Install disk to get the ball rolling, and install the OS.

Offline Tension

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 12:53:42 AM »
Quote from: dennisrc;597276
After years of sitting in cuboard, I have resarected my Amiga A1200HD, already I have had help to find lead to connect monitor, and at last re booted it to find it would not boot, I was suspitiouse that the floppy was faulty, i ordered and fitted it but first disconected hard drive, and was pleased to see it asked for disk, I reconected hard drive then found two new icons on screen refering I asume to hard drive SDH0:NDOS also SDH1:EiSo but will not boot from these, I have a £.1 install disk and have tried to use it but I just can't get to grips with it allI tried failled, can anyone point me in right direction be aware I'm no expert so be gentle this machine I waited ages for as it was the one Escom produced after big shock of crash
thanks Dennis

What made you sit in the cupboard for so long?

I presume you came out every so often to procure supplies, and to go to the toilet.

All the best.

Offline Franko

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 01:32:11 AM »
Quote from: Tension;597490
What made you sit in the cupboard for so long?.

:lol: :roflmao: :lol:

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 01:53:28 AM »
l have 2 other 1200 and both my 2/12 hd have gone south too damm  never used to have that . what l sugest is you but your install disk boot up from that run hdtools . hopefully it find the hd then format the dh0: or boot partion make sure when you run partion hd you see that first partion has bootable selected . id just format your boot partion and re install your wb from floppy disk once you get that sorted try saving what on your other partion then .. if you need any help just let me know . l have salaved my wb 3.0 didsks so can help you. l had to go through alot to get my 1200 going again but you can get there
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline Franko

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:10 AM »
I always find it strange how other folks HDs wear out/break. I've never in 25 years had one Amiga HD go wrong... :)

My oldest one that I kept until about 18 months ago was from my old A1500 and was still fully working, until I decided to rip it apart to get the little ball bearing hub from the disks platter to build a super smooth non squeeky hamster wheel, work a treat so it does... :)

Your pet hamster can run all night long to it's hearts content without so much as a squeek... :)