Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1  (Read 15082 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1
« Reply #119 from previous page: August 10, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »
@ Kesa

I wouldn't bother with what anyone has to say about you, it's not your fault that you're a wee bit dolly dimple... :)

Anywhoo... I reckon that's what make your posts such a good read, is trying to figure out if you're a crafty sly wee toadie who just likes taking the pee in an amusing and inoffensive way or if you are in fact as daft as a brush... :)

Keep on posting Kesa, the world needs more nutters like you... ;)

PS: If  you are nuttier than a fruitcake then that makes you "normal" in my book, I'd rather be a bamstick than a pompous arse anyday... :D

PPS: If you're not a nutcase then it doesn't matter either, cos I'm convinced you are and I can spot a loony tune a mile away... :)

PPPS: Me dog just died again... or do dogs hibernate... :(

PPPPS: ME FRIGGIN ACOUNT IS STILL LOGGING ME OUT AFTER ONE RUDDY POST... :madashell:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:25 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;653959
Kesa, you might want to sleep off the 12 pints mentioned in your signature before posting comments about technical details of any computer board designs.  :lol:

HAHA! I don't seem to be doing very well lately do i?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;653977

When i quoted the Walker i was just trying to show that certain piece of  hardware can still retain high value. Not sure after a decade or so but  if someone bought an X1000 today you could probably sell for a profit  in a year or two when they stop production.

So, just hope A-eons folds quickly :-P
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Itix

Always the pessimist.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2011, 12:41:50 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;653977
I reread my post and now i see what you were talking about. I made a grammar error. Again i know that xmos didn't make any design contribution to the X1000 and all the work was left to Trevor. I was just trying to explain that the X1000 is more than just a kit bash using Xcore. I didn't explain it well.

Duh, i done it again! This just isn't my day :(
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2011, 01:17:32 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;653992
Duh, i done it again! This just isn't my day :(

Keas,
The design is not Treavor's. It was created by Varisys, which has some experience with XMOS components (and designs PPC motherboards).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2011, 01:23:26 AM »
Kesa,

Just take a break my friend.

Don't feel too bad: ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼

I dropped my doritos
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:07:43 AM by dreamcast270mhz »
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
@Kesa,

I just consider it a misunderstanding, so, sorry. Didn't mean to argue with you, carry on!

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;653974
@jorkany

while I can't speak for @kesa, i know of at least three engineers in my office who wish to purchase one for their collections, and none of them care about the amiga. the reasons that I have, for example, are:

1. the inclusion of a PA6T in a consumer product
2. a consumer-oriented desktop which is not (specifically) meant to run windows, OSX, or Linux
3. the inclusion of an XMOS processor which has it's own custom I/O and is accessible via the GPIO lines from the PA6T

two of my friends are buying it for reason #1 alone. bear in mind they are interested as collectors, not users, so it certainly doesn't suggest interest from general computer users per se -- but there are a few folks out there interested in it due to it's rarity, the back-story behind its design, and the silicon they've included on the board.

the terons weren't nearly as interesting given that they were evaluation boards using commodity parts that had been breathed on for the amiga community. the pegasos was more or less the same story, although slightly more interesting because it was designed from the get-go as the basis for a desktop system. the X1000 is significantly more desirable for a collector than either of those boards by a long way.

-- eliyahu

Interesting. Please post back if they actually DO buy. I have quite a few "collectible" systems here myself. In my time I've worked at places that built their own hardware running proprietary OSes, essentially the same thing as an X1000 (custom mobo, SoC, custom software, etc). Some of those products would be considered extremely rare, but I can't think of any reason anyone would want to collect one of those systems unless they had worked with them (nostalgia).

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »
the terons weren't nearly as interesting given that they were evaluation boards using commodity parts that had been breathed on for the amiga community. the pegasos was more or less the same story, although slightly more interesting because it was designed from the get-go as the basis for a desktop system.

Umm comparing the Teron with the Pegasos is not even in the same ballpark. Those terons were crap eval boards that motorola themselves (the cpu supplier) couldnt even utilize. The pegasos is a custom designed multi layer board of substantially higher quality and is and end user product. Terons were NEVER intended to be sold to public, its quite lame that Hyperion and Eyetech did that,especially for those prices! But looks like a repeat job with X1000... the morph guys learned to use good commerical commodity hw (apple hw) OS4 should have went this route (project moana proves it why the *#(@&* would they abandon that project? licensing?)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline stevieu

• Show only replies by stevieu
    • http://myspace.com/stevieu83
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;654124
Those terons were crap eval boards that motorola themselves (the cpu supplier) couldnt even utilize. The pegasos is a custom designed multi layer board of substantially higher quality and is and end user product. Terons were NEVER intended to be sold to public, its quite lame that Hyperion and Eyetech did that,especially for those prices! But looks like a repeat job with X1000... the morph guys learned to use good commerical commodity hw (apple hw) OS4 should have went this route (project moana proves it why the *#(@&* would they abandon that project? licensing?)

Are you implying the X1000 is a 'crap board', or just expensive? ;>

Steve

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »
It will be interesting to see how well it behaves in terms of hardware reliability over time, such knowledge will only come with time however. I wouldn't mind some opinion on the build quality from someone who has actually had a chance to physically inspect one of these boards, anyone present able to do that?
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2011, 04:16:46 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;654143
It will be interesting to see how well it behaves in terms of hardware reliability over time, such knowledge will only come with time however. I wouldn't mind some opinion on the build quality from someone who has actually had a chance to physically inspect one of these boards, anyone present able to do that?

I don't know about Nemo, but i believe Varisys has the capacity to design and build decent hardware.
I was in contact with them before it was announced that they'd worked with A-eon. They have some sharp, talented people.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"