Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...  (Read 13175 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...
« Reply #89 from previous page: July 28, 2012, 12:33:40 AM »
I have said this before but i will say it again. I think MS are going about it all wrong. They are trying to turn Windows into a tablet style os and it doesn't work. But they have already done this with the xbox. Why not use a games console as a base for creating a new os instead of using windows.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
What I'm saying is that desktops will linger where they are needed as minicomputers and mainframes do today, but the average user is better off at home with a tablet device.  But that being said, Apple didn't put the iOS desktop on OS X or vica versa, they tuned the two branches of the OS for each environment, this is likely what MS should have done.

Apple is smart, with the "Magic Pad," I hardly ever use my mouse on my MacPros.  Microsoft is showing the world it still doesn't get it, the two (desktop/laptop and tablet/phone) are different media and need to be developed for differently.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2012, 03:51:43 AM »
Quote from: persia;701396
What I'm saying is that desktops will linger where they are needed as minicomputers and mainframes do today, but the average user is better off at home with a tablet device.
Well, I've yet to see any of the "average users" I know make that decision for themselves.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »
Hi,

Windows still doesn't have stability

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2012, 06:08:40 AM »
It doesn't make sense of having a touch interface for a desktop if I have to extend my arm, then my hand then my finger to touch and manipulate things on screen when a miniscule mouse movement will achieve the same thing faster with more precision and accuracy.  

I see touch being for content-consumption devices (iPads and smart-phones) and mouse for content creation.  MS would do well to simply ask the user which interface they want for Metro at installation time.  A simple question-hell if they want they can even guess your hardware and default to touch or desktop environment-, but forcing desktop users onto a touch environment is a disaster waiting to happen.

On topic: i like the drop down menu that can be created with Magic Menu, I like that I can drag and drop a drawer into a file requester and lists the contents, I like the idea of screens but most of all I like that the active window can stay behind instead of being always to front

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2012, 08:05:42 AM »
Quote from: smerf;701405

I've had Windows 7 machines running for years now without a single crash, only being reset to install security updates.

Offline 68000_forever

• Show only replies by 68000_forever
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »
It's 20 years on, and Amiga freaks are still bitching about a succesful operating system.

Can AmigaOS run Photoshop? Is Cubase available for AmigaOS? Is AmigaOS relevant to professional life? Does the younger generation hang on deprecated operating systems or do they just need an up to date computer as a tool to do their work?

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
Quote from: 68000_forever;701438
Can AmigaOS run Photoshop?
Yes, via ShapeShifter.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;701401
Well, I've yet to see any of the "average users" I know make that decision for themselves.

Yup. What I've seen generally happen is they'll buy a tablet then a keyboard and a stand, thus turning it into a sort-of laptop.  They'll use it as a tablet for casual browsing, games, or watching shows, but using it for emails or any "real" purposes doesn't happen in its tablet form.

I don't see the tablet making it as a general purpose device any time soon.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;701444
Yup. What I've seen generally happen is they'll buy a tablet then a keyboard and a stand, thus turning it into a sort-of laptop.  They'll use it as a tablet for casual browsing, games, or watching shows, but using it for emails or any "real" purposes doesn't happen in its tablet form.

I don't see the tablet making it as a general purpose device any time soon.
I haven't even seen that. The only people I know with tablets are tech-heads who think they're the Next Wave of Computing (and they do definitely use them as poor men's laptops as you describe, for most purposes.) The "average users" I know are far likelier to have only a desktop PC or a laptop.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2012, 09:18:44 PM »
It's 20 years on, and Amiga freaks are still bitching about a succesful operating system.

I think you've chosen a misleading username...  ;)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
There's been 100 million iPad's alone sold since they came on the market, they are absolutely everywhere, lol.  That's not even counting the other makes and models, Android, Windows tablets, hell - even touchpads and playbooks, not to mention low cost ones like the Kindle Fire.

Most people realize they are consumption devices and not laptop replacements, and for that they do just fine.  Tacking on a keyboard and mouse to a tablet like an iPad is inelegant at best as the thing still is an "app machine" solely and not a real computer, so for the extra $200 a Mac Air is a better choice.

Not to say you CAN'T create content or do more productive things on a tablet.
GarageBand for iOS is great, but overall the iPad and similar things are not really comparable to a "real" pc, IMO.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2012, 10:10:35 PM »
Quote from: Duce;701449
There's been 100 million iPad's alone sold since they came on the market, they are absolutely everywhere, lol.  That's not even counting the other makes and models, Android, Windows tablets, hell - even touchpads and playbooks, not to mention low cost ones like the Kindle Fire.
100 million iPads and more from other parties, maybe, but that doesn't mean there's that many people using them - particularly not the iPad, with Apple's carefully-cultivated disposal culture. How many of those 100 million are actually in use, and how many were discarded when St. Jobs introduced the New Model? How many were bought by people who'd never owned a tablet before, and how many went to the True Faithful doing the Obligatory Upgrade?

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2012, 10:22:01 PM »
Quote from: Duce;701449
There's been 100 million iPad's alone sold.

Really?
I thought they were around 50 mil in March and predicting 100 mil by the end of the year.

Still a lot.

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2012, 10:33:12 PM »
120 Million is the forecast tablet sales in 2012, it was 60 Million in 2011 and they predict 140 million sold in 2013.  Traditional desktop sales are flat at around 120 million a year. So basically if projections are right, and we are 7 months into the year, tablet and desktop sales for the year will be about equal....

Quote from: desiv;701457
Really?
I thought they were around 50 mil in March and predicting 100 mil by the end of the year.

Still a lot.

desiv
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2012, 01:44:07 AM »

Can AmigaOS run Photoshop? Is Cubase available for AmigaOS? Is AmigaOS relevant to professional life? Does the younger generation hang on deprecated operating systems or do they just need an up to date computer as a tool to do their work?
This thread is about what Windows doesn't have, not about AmigaOS being better than Windows. AmigaOS clearly isn't better anymore, and I think most people here will agree with that.

Quote from: smerf;701405
Hi,

smerf
Indeed, that's why my WindowsXP setup only crashes once a year (or less) :rolleyes: