Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE hard-drive creation help needed pleased!  (Read 4427 times)

Description:

Offline WelshBoyTopic starter

• Show only replies by WelshBoy
WinUAE hard-drive creation help needed pleased!
« on: July 12, 2003, 09:45:59 PM »
Can anybody help me please. I've installed WinUAE and I'd like to get it up and running with 3 virtual hard-drives - called

workbench
applications
games

How do I set up hard-drives in WinUAE? I've got a fairly good idea on how to do this and I've tried setting one up, but I'm guessing I'll need to boot workbench from the adf files and install it on the new harddrive...how I think I dont have the adf file of the install disk??? But then again - I've installed AIAB for WinUAE before and it created my hard-drives for me and they worked perfectly? heheh confusing as hell!  :-D

And before anyone argues why dont you simply use AIAB...I want the satisfaction (and freedom) of building my workbench system from stratch and only allowing what I want on it!

Thanks,
Daz

Sorry - forgot to mention I've using the latest version of WinUAE  :-D

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
Re: WinUAE hard-drive creation help needed pleased!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 11:27:29 PM »
Easiest way is to define some dirs from Windows as your HD's

Launch WinUAE, go to [hard drives] and select [add Directory.. Fill in a Volume label and select the path of where you want "drive" to exists.. No need to fill in the [device name], WinUAE will this for ya..

Same for a hardfile, only this ones creates a "big" file that is used only for WinUAE. The dir. option lets you copy files to and from Windows/A-OS with ease..

Last option, prepare a drive in a real Amiga, and stick it in your PC and select [add Hardrive].. It should appear in the selection box there...

BTW, Nice picture..
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 11:38:18 AM »
lol Thanx for the compliment about Jeni - my gf...she will be pleased! :)

Neways...thanx for the advice...I've done that now (set up a directory called "workbench") and set up the rest of the options as I want them.. I've pressed ok and all I get is a black screen. I want to install workbench so I assume I have to load the install3.1 disk up and use the hard-drive install option. However in this black screen that I get...I try and insert the install disk but it doesn't load ??? It does load without a hard-disk "installed" though...?

hmmm..... :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?

Help please!!!!

Offline alx

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 11:44:41 AM »
..I try and insert the install disk but it doesn't load ??? It does load without a hard-disk "installed" though...?

Are you "inserting" the ADF after bootup?  If so, I'd add it on the configuration screen.

Offline seer

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 12:26:09 PM »
Well, if you insert the install disk before running the emulator (like alx sais) it should boot from that.. Offcourse, don't set the bootpri of the HD higher then that of the floppies..

If you don't have an ADF of the install disk, go to http://www.back2roots.org/Tools/Emu/Emu-Tools/ and see which of the "Windows ADF read/write tools" (TM) you like and copy the contents of the workbench disk to your workbench dir.. or boot from the workbench disk and copy the files from df0: to hd0:, both should work..

(Edit; forgot you could copy files "in use" unlike a certain other OS..)

Oh.. And you lucky bugger  you ;-)
~
~

Offline Thomas

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 02:09:22 PM »

If you start with just a kick.rom file, an empty hdd directory and no ADF, you should get an AmigaDOS prompt. A black screen means something is wrong. Did you perhaps use AGA in fullscreen mode ? I get a black screen with this, too. (Not with the latest WinUAE release, though).

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 03:24:43 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Thanx for the advice - yes I was attempting to use AGA in fullscreen mode...and it resulted in a black screen. Reverted bk to ECS though and it works...although I got lines running through my screen and the workbench is nowhere near full size on a full screen window. Anybody know why that is? Grrrrr!

Neways cheers for the help so far...just a couple more things required. Has anybody got a copy of the workbench extra's disk on adf? I thought I had all the disks (well adfs required) but I'm missing the extra's one, so I could only install workbench upto 45% before having to quit.

(And before anybody quotes me on piracy...I own a FULL set of workbench disks that came with my real amiga - I just dont really wanna dig them all up from my cupboard and convert them to adf's! )

Neways thanx for the advice so far people...I can now boot from workbench...when I get home later I'll start installing all the programs I want! Cheers!

Daz

Offline seer

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 03:29:40 PM »
although I got lines running through my screen and the workbench is nowhere near full size on a full screen window. Anybody know why that is? Grrrrr!

In the display tab, by line mode, choose Scanline.. Erm.. I think...

Sorry, but don't have an ADF of Extra's at hand.. Must be somewhere tho..
~
~

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2003, 03:34:04 PM »
I'm already using scanline???

Work damn it work !!!!!!

:hammer:

Any other ideas?

Cheers neway about the extra's adf file!

Offline seer

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2003, 03:41:24 PM »
Well.. I loaded the wrong config.. Try Doubled, that's how I have it at the moment.. Mind, I do use the RTG option for WinUAE, so it may be different if you only use AGA or such..

~
~

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 07:55:11 PM »
Grrr still no luck!!! I tried to use the doubled option but that dont work :( Mind you workbench is now re-fusing to boot - something to do with the missing extra's disk I failed to install probably! grrrr...

Can anybody post a couple of their WinUAE set up screens to configure for a standard A1200 with HD workbench and full screen use please? Or is their a guide I could use somewhere??

Thanx,
Daz

Offline alx

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2003, 09:10:16 PM »
What version of WinUAE are you using?  Some of the older ones weren't as good graphically.

But once you've installed Workbench, you can install Picasso96, and then at least public screens can be 1024x768@32 bit colour or whatever.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2003, 10:52:37 PM »
I'm using WinUAE 0822R7 ...I think thats the latest version isn't it? And I ran this version of UAE with "Amiga In A Box", and it ran its customised workbench fine...although I didn't look to see if it had picasso installed or nething like that!

Anyother suggestions? I'm gonna have a fiddle with it and see what I can do...

Cheers,
Daz

Offline Thomas

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2003, 12:13:29 PM »

Using Doubled option will remove the scan lines. Full screen in AGA is a little bit tricky, because the standard PAL screen (640x512) is higher than the VGA standard (640x480). You can set the screen size to 640x480 and activate "Correct aspect", but this way some pixel lines will be missing.

AIAB uses Picasso96, of course.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2003, 02:05:07 PM »
Thanx again for the advice -

I a\ttempted to download picasso96 (the latest version correct?) last night and all went well - however when moving it over to workbench I thought damn I need to unarchive it - so I thought no problem I'll get a unarchiver - which then presented me with the question how do I get a unarchiving program from the aminet when it is archived in the first place? I assume some of the programs from the aminet come with unarchiving abilities but it was near impossible to tell which ones did when I had a quick look last night :(

Any suggestions for which one I should get and fill the above? I'd like one similar to win-zip on the PC - easy to use with ASL file requesters would be preferable! no shell thank you! Freeware would also be appreciated. I got so annoyed last night I installed AIAB again - grrr I'm gonna have to delete that when I get home (thats assuming work ever ends..... :-( )

Cheers,
Daz