Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do I find Library's for Use in WinUAE ?  (Read 1200 times)

Description:

Offline WelshBoyTopic starter

• Show only replies by WelshBoy
Where do I find Library's for Use in WinUAE ?
« on: July 06, 2003, 05:31:07 PM »
I know this isn't really an Emulation topic, but because I'm running my "Amig" under UAE, I thought I'd post the question here :)

I've been an Amiga user for quite a couple of years, although not recently (A1200 is packed away) and so I thought I'd get bk into gaming, thanx to UAE - I've been using it here and there to check out a couple of classic games and try out software that I've always looked at in reviews, on amiga.org etc but never could use because of the limitations of my Amiga and the fact that it is now packed away...

Neways to my question - Where would be the best places to look for Librarys needed in Amiga programs? For example I downloaded an interesting program called Backstreets from AmiNET - apparently it is a GTA clone and I fancied taking a look - the trouble is it needs guigfx.lib  and render.lib - where can I find them? If anybody can send them to me (as far as I'm aware they are freeware?) I'd be v.grateful!

Thanks,

Darren.

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
Re: Where do I find Library's for Use in WinUAE ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 05:36:13 PM »
Aminet is also a good place to look for them. For example, dev/misc/GuiGFXLib.lha and dev/misc/RenderLib.lha .

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 05:43:47 PM »
Thanx for the quick reply - gonna look for them now and see if the games works ok :)

While I'm here can I ask everybodies opinion on how to best set up WinUAE ? I have installed the latest revision of UAE and then installed "Amiga in a Box", but to be honest I'd prefer to set up my own system. Looks a bit daunting though! Any other options available?

Daz

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 06:11:00 PM »

For a program called "NewHomer" I found on the aminet I need narrator.device - I understand that came with Workbench 2.0 - where do I frind it from these days?  Its not on the aminet as far as I can see and I require it to run the homer program.  
Doh !!!  :-D   :-D   :-D   :-D  

Can somebody please explain to me why it is a .device file as well ? Was it written for some hardware of some sorts?

Daz

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 06:34:20 PM »
nice picture there welshboy... your gf?

anyway you should check out payback , thats a nice game (for highend amiga's)

anyway aminet is your place to find all the stuff u need mostly i guess, but sadly some of the stuff must be downloaded from the orginal site ,but u might be in luck...that aminet has all you need..

cheers

pps:open your closet and set up yer amiga again, invest some in it and then you will stuff your pc away.. just a hint ...
Whats up with all the hate!

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 06:39:45 PM »
lol I wondered if changing my picture to the current one would see any responce! Yeah she's my gf - Jeni :)  :-D

Yeah I installed QuarkTex for WinUAE and ran the demo of payback under Warp3D - and I was impressed. A nice product and good to see what one man can do if he puts his mind to it - doubtful many solo PC Programmers could do that! Ran a bit slow on UAE though :(

As for my orginal Amiga - well my room is small and my PS2 takes pride of place unfrtunately - I would dig the A1200 out but I'm waiting for OS4 and AmigaONE. But I do have my eye on the new G5 PowerMAC....now there's a nice looking computer!  :-o

Daz

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 06:56:51 PM »
ok, well jeni looks nice indeed.

anyway for the device question, devices is the place where diffrent devices and hacks are placed and some times even cfg files end up in there (p96 anyway) , but that device u mention is abit unclear for me and my knowledge but if its on the 2.04 install disks then i have if for sure.

(i belived that homer (DOH!@!) was a standalone archive, i will test it today and let u know what happened here)

cheers
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 07:22:02 PM »
I need narrator.device - I understand that came with Workbench 2.0 - where do I frind it from these days?

There are two versions that I know of.

The earlier one was included on Workbench 1.0 - 1.3.  

A revised and updated version was included on Workbench 2.04.

Support for it was then dropped.  (ie, you won't find it on any workbench newer than 2.04)

Can somebody please explain to me why it is a .device file as well ?

It was a virtual device.  You could add it to a mountlist and then pipe files to it.  The whole purpose was that it would "narrate" or read a text file in a synthesized voice.  I have no idea why support for this was dropped, as it was a novel toy, and worked fairly well, for the time.  

If you can find a Workbench 2.04 disk, you can copy the files "narrator.device" to DEVS:, "speak-handler" to L: and "translator.library" to LIBS: and you should have all files needed to add speech to your newer AmigaOS install.

Also, it appears that there is an updated "speak-handler" and "translator.library" available on Aminet.  I don't see a "narrator.device", though.  DEVS:narrator.device on a Workbench 2.04 disk may be it.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2003, 07:31:53 PM »
Thanx for the info - appreciated.

However the odds dont look good on getting my hands on an Amiga WB2 disk :( There is virtually no amiga user actively in my area - although thinking about it there is the South Wales Amiga User Group !

Oh well I'll just have to look around the aminet at the moment for other interesting programs to toy around with! Any ideas?

Haven't got long though - Jeni's home in a bit!  :-D