Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to add a SCSI-CD to the A590? Help needed!  (Read 832 times)

Description:

How to add a SCSI-CD to the A590? Help needed!
« on: May 04, 2003, 12:44:37 AM »
So, I finally got my hands on an A590 which turned out to be defective. After tons of messing around with it I actually got it to work (and man, did I feel like a genius!  :-D ), but before it worked I got some SCSI-things from a friend to try out with the A590. Among those things were a SCSI-CD, 50 pins. Now, attaching this to the internal 50-pin scsi-port on the A590 is easy (though it doesn't seem to work, especially not with an XT harddrive connected to the internal XT-port), but how do I add it to the external port (which I believe is called DB-25 or something similar... this could be wrong though)? Is there some "DB25-to-50pin"-adapter-cable or something, or do I need a casing for the CD with a 50-pin port on the inside and a DB-25-port on the outside? Or is there some other easier way to do this?

Thanks in advance guys!

Regards,
Thomas

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
Re: How to add a SCSI-CD to the A590? Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 12:53:11 AM »
Nefilim noted:
Is there some "DB25-to-50pin"-adapter-cable or something, or do I need a casing for the CD with a 50-pin port on the inside and a DB-25-port on the outside?
;-) Yep!  A 50-pin to 25-pin SCSI cable is the thing to use.  These can often be found in your charity thrift stores, or you can try a Macintosh retailer.  They may have some in old stock, since the earlier Macs used SCSI as standard.

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 08:54:18 AM »
Well, the easiest way is to use an external casing for your cd-rom drive (I use a 4 bay SCSI-tower for my external equipment). These can be had with all types of internal and external SCSI-connectors. Simply take one which has a 50 pins cable on the inside and a Centronicstype SCSI-connector on the outside, complete with cable to hook it up to your A590.

Now about the cd-rom not working on your A590: I seem to remember that you can't use both the XT and SCSI-connector at the same time. If you want to use the SCSI-connector for your cd-romdrive, I expect you to have to replace your XT-drive with a SCSI one. Which is a very good idea anyway, as it will be much faster and have a much larger capacity...

BTW: you need to change dipswitchsettings for this.
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 09:47:41 AM »
Check here...
Amiga-Hardware
as there's even a link to the manual on the page.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 11:57:23 AM »
Nefilim wrote:
Now, attaching this to the internal 50-pin scsi-port on the A590 is easy (though it doesn't seem to work, especially not with an XT harddrive connected to the internal XT-port)

AWOOOOGA! AWOOOOGA! IIRC you can't use XT and SCSI together on the A590.

I know you can use a SCSI CD-ROM - I used a MediaVision Reno with mine for ages, until my sister spilt coffee over it :-(

There are companies (perhaps eyetech - I think they used to) that offer an external 5.25" drive bay case thingy with an internal 50 pin header on the inside and an external scsi header on the outside and relevant cabling. If you dont want to stretch to that, i'm sure they'd sell you an adaptor cable :-)
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic