Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: doomsound.library issue with OS 3.1.4 ROM  (Read 6902 times)

Description:

Offline Drewlio77Topic starter

• Show only replies by Drewlio77
doomsound.library issue with OS 3.1.4 ROM
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:24:43 AM »
Hi,

I have just discovered an incompatibility issue with OS 3.1.4 and the doomsound.library. I was having issues with Strife (would fail to load) and other ADoom ports that use this library. Either the program would not load correctly or the midi music would not play in game. Once I reverted back to the 3.1 ROM (with or without various patches) everything worked again. The issue with the doomsound.library is that it cannot allocate the audio channels for some reason. This is displayed during ADoom's load and initialization sequence.

Since this is the only program or library to date I have had issues with under 3.1.4, I bet the doomsound.library isn't playing by the rules (Amiga OS compliant - audio allocation).

Does anybody know what changes were made in v45.15 of the audio,device? Curious I am.

Drewlio77.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:16:58 AM by Drewlio77 »

Offline Gulliver

Re: doomsound.library issue with OS 3.1.4 ROM
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »
Hi Drewlio77,

I have used DoomAttack-AIO and could reproduce one of the issues you mentioned.
Whilst Doom2 still played perfectly well, I could not get any midi music (all other sound effects worked).

We are going to have a look at this.

Thank you very much for your report.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »
Gulliver,

Same issue, here. The midi music (using the doomsousnd.library) never plays, only SFX. Strife starts to load but fails when initializing the Music. Everything works fine if I use the 3.1 ROMs.

This what I posted earlier today on another forum:

Update:

Out of curiosity, using Remus, I rebuilt the 3.1.4 ROM with the 3.1 ROM audio.device (v37.10). The 3.1.4 ROM's audio.device is v45.15.
Using Blizkick as I always have on my A1200T, I booted with my new "Custom" ROM. As expected, success! The doomsousnd.library is now functional. Everything works as expected.

I am not sure what was changed in v45.15 of the audio.device, but since the doomsound.library is the only program or library I have had any audio issues with thus far, I can bet it is
not playing by the rules (Amiga OS Compliant - Audio Allocation Friendly).

Drewlio77

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:31:02 PM by Drewlio77 »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 05:44:54 PM »
We found out that it seems the same problem occurs also on OS4 for the exact same reasons:

doomsound.library can’t allocate channels with a priority of 0 via ADCMD_ALLOCATE.

We have someone over here that says he can probably recompile a new version that allocates channels on OpenDevice() and works fine with OS 3.1.4.

guest11527

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 07:59:46 PM »
This is not the matter of priority. This is the matter of doomaudio not following Os interfaces. It erraneously expects that BeginIO() delivers a return code, but it never did. Programs have to check io->io_Error as success indicator. DoIO() returns this as result code, but BeginIO() cannot as it is - in general - an asynchronous call.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 12:27:06 AM »
An updated and fully working doomsound.library has been uploaded to Aminet.  :)
It should be available very soon. 

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:34:24 AM »
Excellent. I will give this a shot with the stock 3.1.4 ROM on my A1200T Blizzard/PPC and report back.

Update:

I downloaded and installed the 060 version of the doomsousnd.library from AmiNet. To make sure, the only copy of the library resides in Libs: 
After a fresh reboot, I tried ADoom, Strife and Rise of the Triad. The midi music works again.

This fix was quick and I am very impressed  to say the least. Great job and Thanks :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:32:04 AM by Drewlio77 »

Offline Leifern

• Show only replies by Leifern
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »
Works with the new library :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:02:47 AM by Leifern »