Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Running PPaint under E-UAE on OS X  (Read 1848 times)

Description:

Offline unchartedTopic starter

• Show only replies by uncharted
Running PPaint under E-UAE on OS X
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »
Hey guys, I see this place has gone all fancy-pants now :).  I'm glad my log-in still works.

I've started to get back into pixeling again after a long break from doing it.  I've been playing with various tools on OS X, everything from Photoshop to Pixen (which is designed specifically for pixel art).  However, none of them quite do it for me, and I'm thinking about going back to my old weapon of choice - Personal Paint 7.  I've got an old Amiga Forever CD with everything I need, but I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I sink a chunk of time into trying to get it all working.

Where can I get the latest E-UAE from?  Evil Rich's page hasn't been updated in nearly 2 years, I vaguely remember something being released more recently than that.

Every other time I've tried to use Win-UAE or E-UAE on a laptop, I've always ended up with the fan going full-blast after about 5mins.  Is there any way of limiting how much host CPU is being used?  I don't need vast amounts of speed, I'll be sticking solely to PPaint on a bare OS 3.1 install, an 020 should be enough I'd imagine.  I'll be running it on a 2.0GHz Alu Macbook (running OS X 10.5).

Is mouse-tracking, particularly in full-screen mode still broken?  Last time I used E-UAE on my old iBook, the mouse would constantly screw up.

Any show-stopping bugs that I should know about?

I'm also going under the assumption that my Wacom tablet will just work with UAE without any additional help.

Thanks in advance.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
Re: Running PPaint under E-UAE on OS X
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:39:48 AM »
Hey Uncharted! How goes?

And another one returns :D :drink:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 01:49:07 AM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;513649
Hey Uncharted! How goes?

And another one returns :D :drink:

If you (re)build it, they will come...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:51:01 AM »
Does anybody else have problems with P96 resolutions > 1024x768 in E-UAE by the way? I get a SIGSEGV if I try to go higher than that.
int p; // A

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:32:43 AM »
I had almost the same experience. E-UAE gives me jerky mouse-movement on MacBookAir. I prefer DeluxePaint to PPaint, if on Amiga. I recently bought a Sam440EP and it runs PPaint pseudo-natively, so that took some of the pain away.

(If on a plain Mac you should perhaps try ArtRage. It doesnt pixel well, but the tools give you some feeling of control that reminds of DeluxePaints, smear and blend functions. The results look *much* better than if you'd try to paint in Photoshop!).

Anyway E-UAE is terribly slow, even on decent Macs. If you are just addind Pixels in Zoom-Mode it wont hurt so much.

@Karlos: Are they claiming to Support P6 on a Mac? I havent tried.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;513683
@Karlos: Are they claiming to Support P6 on a Mac? I havent tried.

This is E-UAE compiled for linux. Picasso96 support exists, but it does seem to be rather limited as far as resolution goes.

I've actually tested WinUAE under Wine and it worked in higher resolutions quite well, but it has other issues.
int p; // A

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 02:05:05 PM »
I run E-UAE on my mac mini g4 with 1gb and is usable. Not like winuae on my athlon machine, but it performs well. I only tested so far my wb setup and amigasys, no games for now, but i think that it will run no problems. On a macbook alu, you should be fine with speed. I have also e-uae in my athlon box under ubuntu and it performs well. Giving that your macbook has a higher clockspeed and better processor than my athlon box i think you should be fine. Also don't forget to use hi-toro for gui, because it makes your life easier than messing with .uaerc config file by hand.
If need more help i'm sure that in this board you will get it, as it has solved me another problems with my miggies.

@Karlos I forgot to say that i have on both my systems(mac & pc) a resolution of 1280x1024 for workbench and never found any problem.

P.D: I forgot to congratulate wayne for the new look of the site, its amazing!. Keep up the good work!.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:07:15 PM by _ThEcRoW »
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 02:52:51 PM »
Quote from: _ThEcRoW;513716
@Karlos I forgot to say that i have on both my systems(mac & pc) a resolution of 1280x1024 for workbench and never found any problem.

Anything here above 1024x768 segfaults. I've not managed to figure out quite why yet. This is under linux, btw. I shouldn't have thought the Mac OSX version was that different?
int p; // A

Offline unchartedTopic starter

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
I guess it's not to be.  I thought I'd give it a crack for old times sake, and while getting things up and running far less painful than I was expecting, it's just not usable.

I managed to find an Intel build of the latest version.  I hadn't realised that the version on Rich's site was PPC only.  Ismart, if you're running that version I'd strongly recommend changing to the Intel version (http://e-uae.de.vu/), which should not only run much faster on your macbook anyway, but also appears to have JIT available (although I didn't try it out myself so I'm not 100% on that).

Actually running it at realistic '020 speed with ECS was only using a fraction of CPU time, which was good - no fans blazing.

Unfortunately, both Mouse and Tablet are not unusable, even in full screen mode.  I was also having problems with display options (something that always trips me up in all versions of UAE).

Looks like I'm going to have to stick with Photoshop for the time being, at least until Grapfx2 is fixed to work with Leopard, and I can give that a whirl.

Thanks for the info.