Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Error when trying to copy files from Dopus  (Read 4925 times)

Description:

Offline sturulezTopic starter

• Show only replies by sturulez
Error when trying to copy files from Dopus
« on: April 01, 2021, 12:29:07 PM »

I have had no issues in the past with copying files with Dopus on my current setup. For some unknown reason to myself when I try and copy game the following message appears

PSF-III Error Requester

Device DH2:
ALERT:
Wrong ablock id

Is there anyway I can overcome this issue?

Thanks

A1200 - ACA 1221EC Accelerator, 32GB CF Card, SCSI CD-ROM, WB3.9, 3.1.4 ROM. PCMCIA 4GB transfer card, Indivision AGA MK2

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Error when trying to copy files from Dopus
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 01:44:57 PM »
What are you trying to copy and from where?
Maybe the filename is illegal or too long and PFS filesystem can't handle it? What does the PFS help explain about this type of error?

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 02:18:57 PM »
Hi,

If I try and copy a WHDLoad game from one folder to another folder on the games directory. The same message comes up even if I try and drag a folder from one location to another.

I was able to perform this task a few months ago but for some reason I can't now.

When the message appears I have clicked on "ok"

Another box comes up saying

PFS-III Error Requestor
Device DH2:
LRU update failed.

Press ok again

Device SH2
Disk update failed
A1200 - ACA 1221EC Accelerator, 32GB CF Card, SCSI CD-ROM, WB3.9, 3.1.4 ROM. PCMCIA 4GB transfer card, Indivision AGA MK2

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 03:55:59 PM »
Sounds like a filesystem problem. I'm not sure what repair/recovery tools are available for PFS, but be prepared for the possibility that you might need to copy everything to another partition and reformat.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 04:24:38 PM »
Is it possible I can remove everything from the Games partition and format it?

Am I best to use WinUAE to carry this out?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 06:31:59 PM »
You can use whatever you want for the backup. If there's any possibility of mechanical drive failure (how old is the drive?) you should plug the drive into WinUAE and copy everything to a hardfile. Otherwise you can do a local backup to another partition on the same disk. Once you're confident your data has been preserved, reformat the affected partition and copy everything back.

Make sure you preserve the protection bits and datestamps when copying. If you're using the shell, use the CLONE argument on the copy command. I think DOpus has this option enabled by default.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 11:29:01 AM »
You can use whatever you want for the backup. If there's any possibility of mechanical drive failure (how old is the drive?) you should plug the drive into WinUAE and copy everything to a hardfile. Otherwise you can do a local backup to another partition on the same disk. Once you're confident your data has been preserved, reformat the affected partition and copy everything back.

Make sure you preserve the protection bits and datestamps when copying. If you're using the shell, use the CLONE argument on the copy command. I think DOpus has this option enabled by default.

Its a 32GB CF card, less that 6 months old. Okay I have tested moving a folder from one location to another on the system partition and that works okay. So it seems its just the Games partition is having issues.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 10:08:10 PM »
Its a 32GB CF card, less that 6 months old. Okay I have tested moving a folder from one location to another on the system partition and that works okay. So it seems its just the Games partition is having issues.

Very likely to be a filesystem problem, then. I'm assuming the drive is properly partitioned and using a >4GB-capable device driver? (use Thomas's check4gb if you are unsure.) If so, backup, reformat, and restore and you should be up and running.

There's still a small possibility the CF card is faulty and failed prematurely. Do a full drive backup with WinUAE if you have any irreplaceable data, just to be safe.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 11:44:21 AM »

Very likely to be a filesystem problem, then. I'm assuming the drive is properly partitioned and using a >4GB-capable device driver? (use Thomas's check4gb if you are unsure.) If so, backup, reformat, and restore and you should be up and running.

There's still a small possibility the CF card is faulty and failed prematurely. Do a full drive backup with WinUAE if you have any irreplaceable data, just to be safe.

I have ran the 4GB capable device driver, it has came up with DH2 Games 13GB PFS3 >4GB Yes

I guess its now a case of transferring all 4000 games from the games directory via WinUAE.  :-\

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 02:36:19 PM »
okay so I have found a program called WinImage.

I have backed up my CF card just incase anything happens.

What is the best way to just backup my Games partition format it and then restore the data back on the partition?

Or am I best to just restore the who CF card image?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:51:36 PM by sturulez »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 05:07:52 PM »
Since there’s currently a filesystem error, simply restoring the disk image you made will also restore the filesystem error. Like I said above, all you need to do is copy the contents of your games partition to another partition, reformat, and copy back.

Set up a hardfile in WinUAE with enough capacity to hold the contents of your games partition. Then copy everything to that hardfile using either DOpus or the shell (copy gamespartition:#? backuppartition: all clone).

I’m assuming that the error on your games partition prevents writing to the partition but that you can still read from it. If you can’t read it, i.e., if you can’t copy the files off, you’ll need to look into a fix-in-place utility to correct the filesystem error, but that’s beyond my knowledge for PFS.

Offline nbache

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 06:20:01 PM »
Since there’s currently a filesystem error, simply restoring the disk image you made will also restore the filesystem error. Like I said above, all you need to do is copy the contents of your games partition to another partition, reformat, and copy back.
As I've seen this a couple of times now, can I just point out that you are missing the crucial step 2 in the procedure.

1. Backup
2. Verify your backup
3. Format
4. Restore

Noone wants a write-only backup to be their only copy of important data.

Best regards,

Niels

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 07:46:42 PM »
As I've seen this a couple of times now, can I just point out that you are missing the crucial step 2 in the procedure.

1. Backup
2. Verify your backup
3. Format
4. Restore

Noone wants a write-only backup to be their only copy of important data.

Best regards,

Niels

Excellent point. I did mention it in an earlier post but it's always worth repeating.

Offline Castellen

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »
This looks similar to the PFS problem I reported to Toni Wilen several years ago, which he resolved.

Would be worth confirming that you're using the current version of the filesystem:
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 11:49:33 PM »
What is the best way to format the Games folder?

When I attempt to format it the same way I would to a format a floppy disk a Window pops up saying " Professional File System 3 v5

Press mouse to continue

I press ok and then it says Initializing disk but nothing happens and it doesn't format the Games partition.

What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:13:12 AM by sturulez »