Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wow! C-USA's first commercial.  (Read 23605 times)

Description:

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Wow! C-USA's first commercial.
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 06:11:26 AM »
-=Moderated=-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:36:37 AM by Argo »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 06:14:44 AM »
-=Moderated=-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:35:08 AM by Argo »

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 06:15:55 AM »
Quote from: dammy;628266
But again, this is for the C64 folks, this is not a Commodore Amiga, that's further down the road.

I'm not sitting at either one of these poles (positive or negative), but the Commodore and Amiga names aren't important to me (that's why I'm using the OS I am).
I'll let you and Franko argue out the import of new "Amigas".
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;628271
I'm not sitting at either one of these poles (positive or negative), but the Commodore and Amiga names aren't important to me (that's why I'm using the OS I am).
I'll let you and Franko argue out the import of new "Amigas".

I'm waiting to see what the OS turns out to be for the new Commodore Amigas.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Franko

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »
Anyone notice that in a 30 second commercial the Commodore logo and the C64 only take up 10 seconds of it, the rest is advertising for a Disney product, methinks Disney's just shafted CUSA in that deal... :lol:

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 06:22:14 AM »
-=Moderated=-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:34:39 AM by Argo »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Franko

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »
-=Moderated=-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:34:23 AM by Argo »

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 06:25:51 AM »
-=Moderated=-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:33:43 AM by Argo »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Franko

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 06:26:46 AM »
-=Moderated=-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:34:05 AM by Argo »

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 06:27:31 AM »
Now taking pre-orders, wow pre-orders! Now they really are like amiga inc!

Commodore os will be shipped to you when available. This all sounds vaguely familiar. Someone said something about amithlon being developed.
If they did Aros or amithlon, I'm interested, otherwise ubuntu with an amiga wallpaper is of no interest to me or most amigans.

The vic and the vic slim are existing products with commodore stickers slapped on them and ubuntu installed. It must have taken them literally minutes of development time on those.

On the c64 I think its a nice novelty, but not worth the money. At least that one took them time to develop. The specs are really unimpressive though. I can buy a similar computer for so much less, but It IS a novelty, so I suppose your paying for the novelty of it.

I suppose I can see why someone who is a huge c64 fan would want one, so I wish them the best with selling them. Still, I don't believe these will ever make it to actual retail stores, but I'd be interested in knowing exactly how many of them they sell and in what markets.

The ad while interesting, makes me wonder if they actually obtained permission to use scenes from the movie in their commercial, or if they just put their ad in the dvd hoping they could use that footage without actually paying for its use.

If they didn't pay for its use, its quite a copyright violation using movie footage to peddle their own wares. Its also quite misleading, because their computers had nothing to do with that movie except to buy an ad in the dvd release.

Steven

Offline Franko

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 06:32:01 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;628281
The ad while interesting, makes me wonder if they actually obtained permission to use scenes from the movie in their commercial, or if they just put their ad in the dvd hoping they could use that footage without actually paying for its use.

If they didn't pay for its use, its quite a copyright violation using movie footage to peddle their own wares. Its also quite misleading, because their computers had nothing to do with that movie except to buy an ad in the dvd release.

Steven

Well I've sent Disney Studios a link to the video on YouTube and I have it downloaded here in case it gets removed, so hopefully I'll get some sort of response from them to prove whether this is all ligit or not... :)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 06:33:20 AM »

"Pre-order", a word that now strikes fear into every Amiga user!  :eek:

Commodore os will be shipped to you when available. This all sounds vaguely familiar. Someone said something about amithlon being developed.  If they did Aros or amithlon, I'm interested, otherwise ubuntu with an amiga wallpaper is of no interest to me or most amigans.

When available?  Since when was Linux unavailable?

The vic and the vic slim are existing products with commodore stickers slapped on them and ubuntu installed. It must have taken them literally minutes of development time on those.

See Franko's "Aussie Kitching Assembly Line" video.  :D

On the c64 I think its a nice novelty, but not worth the money. At least that one took them time to develop. The specs are really unimpressive though. I can buy a similar computer for so much less, but It IS a novelty, so I suppose your paying for the novelty of it.

Don't forget that you'll also become Vice President, Marketing Manager, Distribution Manager, etc for every unit you buy.

I don't think that even they could be that stupid.  Mind you...  ;)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 06:38:27 AM »
Pricey, as expected.  And no Amiga products in store yet, so I'll keep my comments to myself.  But good on them.  To give credit where credit is due, they did their "ad campaign".  If it cost them 30 million or whatever insane figure they were spouting, I don't see where it went, but I'm sure they have further plans for the aforementioned ad budget.  As usual, still confused why this C-USA stuff seems to be so heavily promoted when projects like the FPGA board which has the community absolutely ecstatic had far fewer "big names" pounding the pulpit for it.  Where's the love for the little guys like Natami and the FPGA Arcade guys, who are working their stones off to bring us Amigans a reliable and more modern "Amiga".  Saddening, really - even if the C-USA offerings are not up my alley.  Then again, I've always rooted for the grassroots guys out there that have soldering irons and compilers in hand, so I must be missing something.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »

Valid criticism.

I am still interested in the case and keyboard without guts, which is not for sale yet. .

You can bet your bottom dollar that CUSA was vetted and if they used Disney's IP without permission Disney will make sure the Sword of Damocles (no relation to Dammy) will fall down on CUSA.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 07:01:52 AM »
"I've always rooted for the grassroots guys out there that have soldering irons and compilers in hand, so I must be missing something. "

I agree. Which is probably why cusa irks alot of people. Its like they want the most attention for doing the least they could possibly do.

I forgot about the reported 30 million dollar advertising campaign. Of course, that was supposed to be for commercials that were suppose to be aired last christmas. Perhaps their new budget for this quarter is closer to 300 bucks? (300$ = Pay a video editor to splice together stolen movie footage with your logo, then only put it on youtube till it gets yanked for copyright violation)

They could always call it a fan video, but considering they are a "company" selling something, I don't think it qualifies.

It will be interesting to hear where this will be broadcast? If just youtube, well I'm so not impressed, and I doubt anyone else is.

Steven

Offline ChrisUnionNJ

• Show only replies by ChrisUnionNJ
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 05, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »
Quote from: Argo;628231
Any clue to when they will be selling product and not hype?

The store is open today for preOrders and the changed some of the unit names..

And I hope he's not thinking of pulling a Jack Tramiel PET Job..lol
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:30:39 AM by ChrisUnionNJ »
Vic-20 x3 C64 x2,128D,C128 Flat Deck,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple][e,Apple][GS,3 Apple][c\'s,Amiga Forever,C64 Forever:rofl: