Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?  (Read 74542 times)

Description:

Offline stevieuTopic starter

• Show only replies by stevieu
    • http://myspace.com/stevieu83
Adding further to the riddles provided, today was a day to release more information on the hardware involved in Hyperion's 'Most Ambitious Project'.

"At the start of this journey, we posed the question 'what is X?' The answer is that X is many things. X is the Xena/XMOS chip, and the Xorro slot that accompanies it. X is the mystery CPU, and above all, X is the AmigaOne X1000, the new complete desktop computer system from A-EON.

It's almost 25 years since Commodore released the A1000 model that launched the line in the summer of 1985, and with the launch of the X1000 we will usher in a new beginning for the AmigaOS platform. Just as Commodore did with the A1000, we're aiming at the high-end first, with a powerful desktop computer aimed at the professional and serious hobbyist markets (although you won't have to wait until summer, and it should be a little cheaper!)"

Read more at A-EON.com

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com

Offline DaNi

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
Re: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
AmigaOne X1000 Specs

ATX Formfactor
Dual-core PowerISA™ v2.04+ CPU
"Xena" XMOS XS1-L1 128 SDS
7.1 channel HD audio
4x DDR2 RAM slots
10x USB 2.0
1x Gigabit Ethernet
2x PCIe x16 slots (1x16 or 2x8)
2x PCIe x1 slots
1x Xorro slot
2x PCI legacy slots
2x RS232
4x SATA 2 connectors
1x IDE connector
JTAG connector
1x Compact Flash

CPU:

We are under strict instructions from the 'highers-up' not to reveal the CPU yet. For this, we can only apologise, and give you those details that we can reveal at this moment in time.

The AmigaOne X generation will come with a variety of CPUs, conforming to the Power ISA 2.04 and newer standards. The X1000 processor currently has very limited availability, and you've probably never seen one in the wild, so don't worry too much about it. For now, please be content with knowing that it's a dual-core Power Architecture™ CPU, with a very low Thermal Design Point. For reference, our designers have been running the cores at 1.6GHz during thermal testing, but this isn't the exact nominal clock speed.

Custom Chips:

The Nemo designers had a brilliant idea: "Why not add an XMOS chip?" Once, there were custom chips; for the AmigaOne X generation, we have customisable chips. XMOS calls it "Software Defined Silicon", we call it 'Xena', a nod to the old custom chip names. It's the inheritor of the 'transputer' concept, and it's something we're quite excited about.

Xorro:

To accompany 'Xena', we have 'Xorro', a new slot using an industry-standard PCIe x8 form factor to give access to the 'Xena' IO. This will be the route to Xena's 64 IO lines, which are dynamically configurable as input, output, or bidirectional. 'Xorro' will allow bridging Xena to external hardware for control purposes, to internal systems, or to other Xcore processors. This last point is worth more exploration; XCore is a parallel processing architecture, and if you want more power, you can simply chain more XCores together. Reference boards have been made with up to 256 cores, offering a theoretical 102400 MIPS. Those of you interested in high-end imaging or scientific applications, for example, take note.

Capable of eight concurrent real-time threads with shared memory space, at up to 400 MIPS (about 6 68060s worth), Xena gives the X1000 a very flexible, very expandable co-processor. The uses are endless; control hardware, DSP functions, robotics, display - even SID chip and console emulators. The Amiga has seen some truly ingenious hacks and add-ons; Xena can take this to a whole new level. It will take a while for the full possibilities to be realised, but we urge you to visit XMOS and discover more for yourselves

PD: This is the best notice to the amiga community!!! Amiga4Ever!!!!
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
https://www.xmos.com/products/xs1-l-family/l1lq64 is the information on the Xena chip.  Note the prices at the right-hand column of the page.

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:07:19 PM »
But does it have a clock port? I kid, i kid! lol..
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »
<----- getting a rise in the Levis with this news :lol:

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
You gotta hand it to them. They really have thought about it and it looks like they're implementing the cool things that never made it into Amigas...

such as: modern Faster CPU
DSP style functions:
Industry standard parts and custom chip capability that can kind of behave like Dave Hanies Transuputer (I think that was it) and overall cool things that never saw the light of day.

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
Another chapter of the most legendary and peculiar history of any computer on earth is written before our very eyes. Can't wait for more info. 2010 starts with a super nova.
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »
Funny how the osnews thread turned into a good ol' PC vs Amiga discussion like in the old days.  :)

Too bad a lot of narrow-minded persons still see computing in raw speed like some do for cars.   All I'd want is a new machine that is really fun to use and will last more than 3 years before I want to change it.  I just couldn't have the "Amiga-ish" feeling with all the PCs I got no matter the badass gfx card or CPUs.   I blamed myself for being a grown up with no more magic in his eyes but in fact its due to the boring hardware.  

I'll be the perfect customer for such a computer if the software available meets all my demands. (Common Net apps, office suite, 2D & 3D games, media (editing and burning)  The rest will be candy.
-=Delta

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »
Yeah, a computer that doesn't look like 1999...  Now for the price, OS News claims at a price less than A1000 originally, but they were coy using 1985 dollars so I'm not sure what that means...

If it comes out to a thousand 2010 US dollars it's going to be quite a tough decision for me to choose between the Mac Tablet and the X1000...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
My biggest concern is hardware compatibility.  Those PCIe ports are great but ultimately meaningless if you don't have drivers for more than a mere handful of obscure PCIe expansions.

Offline Pete_Noir

• Show only replies by Pete_Noir
    • http://twitter.com/the_pete
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »
Hmm.. I wonder if this could actually end up cheaper or at least about the same price as the Sam, that is if the CPU they have chosen is more readily available & cheaper.

I hope so.. this looks like it will be an amazing machine and I think Hyperion will be great new leaders for the Amiga, but personally I just want something decent to run OS4.1+ on. I'm dying to try OS4 out, but I can't justify spending £650 on a Sam system. I would happily pay £500 for this though.

Or maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up ;/

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »
I guess the price is the biggest worry for all of us.  I've been used to build myself a new PC every 2-3 years whitout spending more than $700 (no monitor) and it did the job.   If this new Amiga costs over $1000 but does everything we want for 7+ years like the old models did then its another thing.

I have difficulties to believe in any hardware that last these days, i'm so used to trash or resell all my stuff regularly!  The only electronical device I kept for more than 10 years was actually an Amiga!  

Now they seem to be telling they will sell a complete system which means custom case & custom keyboard/mouse.  These are expensive (look at apple) so I would expect paying around $1200 for the whole deal and be ok with it.  

I don't own any game console, cell phone, ipod or whatever so investing in this computer is something I would consider.
-=Delta

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »
Quote from: Delta;536624
I guess the price is the biggest worry for all of us.  I've been used to build myself a new PC every 2-3 years whitout spending more than $700 (no monitor) and it did the job.   If this new Amiga costs over $1000 but does everything we want for 7+ years like the old models did then its another thing.

I have difficulties to believe in any hardware that last these days, i'm so used to trash or resell all my stuff regularly!  The only electronical device I kept for more than 10 years was actually an Amiga!  

Now they seem to be telling they will sell a complete system which means custom case & custom keyboard/mouse.  These are expensive (look at apple) so I would expect paying around $1200 for the whole deal and be ok with it.  

I don't own any game console, cell phone, ipod or whatever so investing in this computer is something I would consider.

Pricing is going to be a huge factor in determining whether I fork out for one of these. My first Amiga A500 cost £299 plus extra for the A520 modulator. My A4000D 030 6MB Ram, 85MB Hard Drive with Final Writer cost me £1200 in 1994. The top-end Sam on Amiga Kit 1GB Ram 733Mhz costs £743.20. The Sam is described as "entry level" vs the X1000. I reckon a price point of £999 - £1200 is likely depending on configuration. For this amount of money you can get a macbook pro (£918), a macbookair (£1174) or a iMac (£969). Admittedly these are all base models so I'm not comparing apples with apples, but even so the X1000 has got its work cut out, compounded by the lack of killer software like high end video editing, photoshop etc. So are there going to be more announcements on the software front?

Weed
A3000T, Cybervision64, CSMKII 060; A3000D, PicassoII, Z3 Fastlane; A2000D, 040, PicassoII; A4000D, A1200, Blizzard 030 MKIV  (not working - next project)

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Where does this leave ACube....out in the cold?  What about all the recent SAM buyers, how are they going to feel when/if Hyperion drop support (as per Classic 4.0 users).

Oh well, at least it keeps things interesting :)

I just hope they can get this new HW out cheap AND have it supported by OS4 (eg drivers and a non-beta release) quickly.

Any chance of a back-plate?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:21:36 PM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!