Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A500 roms to 3.5 disk help  (Read 1413 times)

Description:

Offline MicroposeTopic starter

• Show only replies by Micropose
A500 roms to 3.5 disk help
« on: December 24, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
Hi folks,

I have just dusted off my A500 from the attic and are trying to impress its virtues onto my 9 year old xbox 360 loving son....
He likes the games I can get to work (especially batman the movie and blood money!); problem is 90% of the disks appear to be knacked!!!  Have been up there 15-20 years so I suppose its par for the course.
I have seen that the files can downloaded from the web, can I simply download the file, unzip it then copy to floppy???
Will have to buy a floppy drive so don't want to waste money if this won't work.  Don't want to go down the emulator route either, have now set Amiga up for him in spare room on old portable and its going well.  Run MAME on pc and like it but would prefer the Amiga in its true form (sad old nostalgic git:))
Thanks in advance

Offline Thomas

Re: A500 roms to 3.5 disk help
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 03:00:46 PM »
A PC cannot write to Amiga floppy disks with standard hardware, so buying a floppy drive will not help you much.

You could buy this to make the floppy drive work: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=842
But it's rather expensive.

This is a better solution: http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/
It allows to transfer ADF files to the Amiga and directly to its floppy drive. You only need a serial nullmodem cable to connect the Amiga to the PC.
For example this one: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=787

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »
Thanks Thomas, that looks ideal.  I will investigate further!

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
I'm not sure what it is. I find the description rather confusing. At first I don't understand what the word "parallel" shall mean in the headline. Then it is called "null modem" but has a male connector. A null modem cable is used to connect two computers to each other and a computer usually has a male connector, so the null modem cable needs female connectors. Also the description talks about connecting serial devices to the adapter. This is not done with a null modem cable. A serial null modem cable is similar to a crossover Ethernet cable, i.e. it has the sending and receiving lines crossed so that two computers can talk to each other. A device is usually connected to a computer by a 1:1 connection without crossed lines.

So what I suppose from the description is that the device is just a serial to USB adapter, i.e. it adds a serial port to a PC which does not have one. And when I scroll further down the page to the "most watched items" I see many similar adapters with much cheaper prices.

I entered a search for "usb null modem" and the first one found was this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-RS232-Serial-Null-Modem-Cable-DB-9-Pin-Lead-/390097022555?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5ad3982e5b
It looks much more promising to me. It's a serial to USB adapter and a serial null modem cable. I am quite sure that this would work. And it's a few pence cheaper also.

Edit: sorry, I forgot that you also need a 9-to-25-pin adapter. This certainly nullifies the price advantage. Also it seems that all those cables are sold either by Printstar or by Computerstar which both look much like the same seller. I would prefer to be able to compare descriptions from different sellers. Don't you have an electronics store in the neighborhood where you can ask? Or a preferred electronics online shop (other than ebay) with better product descriptions?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:05:35 PM by Thomas »

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
Wouldn't Hombre (for all intents and purposes, a stylish combination of CrossDOS and ADFBlitzer) suffice if the A500 has enough RAM?