Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [AmigaKit] New production run of boxed PPC (+68k) games?  (Read 2185 times)

Description:

Offline First NinjaTopic starter

[AmigaKit] New production run of boxed PPC (+68k) games?
« on: January 25, 2020, 03:19:50 PM »
AmigaKit - I understand you are following a lot of the chatter going on here. Would it make sense, with the upcoming A1222 Tabor in mind, to consider a new production run of some of the boxed Amiga PPC games that aren't in stock? Personally, I'm looking for these games and would really like to show some support by buying new copies:
  • Quake 2
  • Wipeout 2097
  • Heretic II
Also, I think it would be really nice if you would consider buying the rights to distribute other/older Amiga games. As you probably already know, Sierra Online's Gold Rush is available in a brand new release and Cinamaware is in full swing again. I'm confident that a lot of IPs are up for grabs, and judging by how the general interest for Amiga systems seem to have risen in the last year or so (just look at Amiga34 and the other fairs), I can't help but getting the feeling that there's a re-emerging market growing up in front of us.

Microprose - a fellow British company - may very well be interested in getting a call from you guys. Judging by their Twitter feed, it seems as if something is cooking in their digital kitchen.
Karate, Jerry. Karate. It's the lifetime pursuit of balance and harmony.

Offline duga

Offline First NinjaTopic starter

Re: [AmigaKit] New production run of boxed PPC (+68k) games?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
Maybe ask Hyperion?

https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/index.php/games

It's not a bad idea, and one question doesn't necessarily rule out the other. However, this particular one is for AmigaKit since they, as stated in the OP, are known to follow threads on Amiga.org. Hope for the best!
Karate, Jerry. Karate. It's the lifetime pursuit of balance and harmony.

Offline Rob

Re: [AmigaKit] New production run of boxed PPC (+68k) games?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »
Quake II was never licensed for the Amiga so when Hyperion released their port of the open sourced game engine they bunled it with the PC CD version.  Sourcing the PC CD version in 2002 probably wasn't too big a deal but in 2020 finding new old stock might not be too easy and licensing the game files from I.D. would probably not be effective.

Wipeout 2097 was ported to WarpOS and therefore is incompatible with Tabor although you might have some success it would be more ideal to have an updated OS4 port.  It was ported by Digital Images and published by Blittersoft who still exist today as Virtual Programming.  I don't know if the sources still exist today or if VP would have access to them but they might still be in the position to re-issue the WarpOs version.

Heretic II is more likely to get an OS4 re-release since that is what Hyperion have done with their other titles over the years.

The following users thanked this post: First Ninja