Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem installing AROS from DVD  (Read 1359 times)

Description:

Offline CommodoreRockTopic starter

• Show only replies by CommodoreRock
Problem installing AROS from DVD
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:50:30 AM »
I keep getting GRUB! error while installing AROS from DVD ROM--Disk read error.  It then goes to GRUB rescue prompt.  Does this on two different computers.  I don't think there's a problem with the DVD as the burn completed successfully.  Has anyone seen this with the latest Icaros ISO?  Hardware I attempted installs on were Dell Latitude C610 and D600.   I can access the disk from within Windows.  I'm willing to try another DVD, but I don't want to keep wasting them if the problem is actually with the ISO.  Thanks in advance for your help!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:51:52 AM by CommodoreRock »

Re: Problem installing AROS from DVD
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:44:56 PM »
Sorry about posting in the wrong location.  I realized I made a total noob move here.  I didn't see that this is Aladdin support.  Please feel free to move to the proper place.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
Some additional info.  I got the disk to boot in a virtual machine and got to the desktop, but when trying to install on a real PC laptop, I get that GRUB! message and one of two errors--sometimes I get "Unsupported File System" and other times the disk read error.  I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the DVD drive on one of my systems is faulty regarding the latter, but I can't understand why I'm getting the former.  Any ideas?  I'd really love to get AROS up and running natively on my old laptop.  Thanks!

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »
Try downloading and burning the DVD again.  Sounds like you have a corrupted ISO or bad media.

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
If your VM supports real USB devices, you can install to a USB stick using the InstallAROS tool on the desktop. Then boot your laptop from the stick.

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:45 PM »
Quote from: ncafferkey;668501
If your VM supports real USB devices, you can install to a USB stick using the InstallAROS tool on the desktop. Then boot your laptop from the stick.

Is this possible with VMware?
I tried doing this in VirtualBox/Win7 yesterday, using the raw device access .vmdk generator to access my USB stick. But the installer failed to do any formatting or writing (DMA error, I think). However, HDToolBox seemingly managed to write a SFS partition table. Maybe I should try VMware instead?

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
Quote from: ncafferkey;668501

Thanks!  That's a great idea.  I didn't realize that would be possible.  New to all of this.  Thanks.