Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros has no software ???  (Read 6148 times)

Description:

Offline Tension

Re: Aros has no software ???
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 05:14:20 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;592140
Yes, you're missing the point that the benchmark you've set (for being considered an Amiga) is impossible on anything other than an original Amiga.
Without a 68k processor and compatibility with the original chipsets, every otherOS relies on emulation of some kind.

That's one of the reasons I don't worry about MorphOS not being considered a true Amiga system. It isn't and it wasn't meant to be. It was designed to work with newer hardware and improve on AOS. That couldn't be done w/o sacrificing resister level compatibility.

AROS actually may (in the long run) prove to be more compatible with AOS3.x than AOS4.x or MOS (due to its better integration of UAE).

However, with OS compatibility with 3.1, MorphOS and AROS share a common positive you're not considering. Porting software from AOS to these NG systems is relatively easy because the OS' supports the same functions (in fact in the case of MOS even 68K code will work as long as it isn't hardware dependant).

So while many (like you) point to the fact that an NG OS will not run a specific app you're using (w/o emulation) you're overlooking that these software packages (if they were still being developed and supported ) could be easily moved to an NG OS.

I'm not familar with Octamed, but I have seen Audio Evolution (another Amiga music program). Currently, AE is available on AOS, MOS, AROS, Windows and OSX and the non-Amiga versions are more advanced and continue to be developed.

I can't think of too many old software packages (that are no longer supported or continue to be developed) that I have to rely on. So, I'm satisfied with my OS choice (as, I'm sure, are many AROS users).

The only new hardware that would meet your requirements is something like the Natami. That system sounds interesting, but I can't see using one as my primary computer (any more than I could imagine using an original Amiga as my sole computer).

Yes my ideal Amiga would be a 1 GHz 3.9 setup to be honest.  I just think that if i'm going to be breaking compatibility with my Amiga by using AROS, then I might as well just use Windows instead.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »
Quote from: Tension;592142
Yes my ideal Amiga would be a 1 GHz 3.9 setup to be honest.  I just think that if i'm going to be breaking compatibility with my Amiga by using AROS, then I might as well just use Windows instead.

Unless Thomas and Gunnar secure a LOT more money, you're not going to see a 1 Ghz 68K (although that WOULD be pretty cool).

As much as I hate to admit it, Windows is a valid option (remember that unoffical motto - Windows X, it suck much less now!). Personally, I'd choose it over OSX. Plus, if you're going to rely on emulation, Amiga Forever is a surprisingly good package.

So why am I using a MorphOS system (when I have two copies of WinXP Media Center and one copy of Vista)?

First, really fast boot times.
Second, efficiency. MOS performs much better than OSX on PPC machines.
Third, it provides an advanced Amiga like development platform.
Fourth, its different (and I'm not supporting Gates or Jobs).
Fifth, it is a practical platform for every day use that carries forward an OS I'm very fond of.

So, the question I always like to propose to people in your position is this - have you tried an NG OS?
AROS is free and if you're going to move to Windows, well you're already getting an X86 systems - why not try it?
MorphOS can be downloaded. The Amiga/PPC accelerated version is free and the later versions can be used as a trial version (that works for 30 minutes before slowing down). I put together my original Quicksilver based system for under $75 (so when MOS 2.6 was introduced I didn't have much invested).
I was skeptical at first, but since I adopted it, I haven't used Windows (at all, for about the last two months).

To everyone, before you decide, you ought to give an NG OS a try.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »
@Iggy
I'm not familar with Octamed, but I have seen Audio Evolution (another Amiga music program). Currently, AE is available on AOS, MOS, AROS, Windows and OSX and the non-Amiga versions are more advanced and continue to be developed.

You're talking chalk and cheese I'm afraid. AE is very good, but it's a multitrack recording system with MIDI support. OMSS, on the other hand, is a multichannel tracker with MIDI support. The former is primarily for production, the latter is primarily for composition. OMSS may be years old and look "primitive" to people that have never used it, but trust me, a person couldn't be more wrong for thinking it. It's one of the finest pieces of software ever written for quickly getting your ideas down.

You can't just magically go from OMSS to AE, they work in completely different ways and are built for totally different purposes. If you use OMSS to compose, the chances are you would also use AE for post-production work / live instrument / vocal mixdown.

Like Tension, I also use OMSS and don't have any serious time for an Amiga compatible OS that doesn't run it. An OS is there to support your applications as much as it is to support your hardware.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:59:57 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »
Well if it's OctaMED you want, just use the PC version. I have it here (though not used it for years :( there are simply better trackers out there now, not that I use trackers anymore)... But it does work in Wine so it will run on your OSX/*nix boxes too.

@Tension, that is a somewhat limited view of an Operating System... The SuSE linux install on my Athlon64 can't run the same software that the uC Linux I have installed on my ARM Dev board runs (without a recompile), but they are the same operating system no?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592186
Well if it's OctaMED you want, just use the PC version. I have it here (though not used it for years :( there are simply better trackers out there now, not that I use trackers anymore)... But it does work in Wine so it will run on your OSX/*nix boxes too.

Better is a subjective term. OctaMED SS is more than capable of controlling my kit and after so many years of using it, I just know where everything is.

I tried the PC version and frankly was not very impressed. There seemed to be an awful lot of lag from keypress to note playback when editing with it. Unfortunately, I tend to notice the same issue when running it in both WinUAE and E-UAE and adjusting the sound buffers for lower latency tends to produce some stuttering effects.

Conversely, OS3.x/4.x run it just fine on both my A1200 and A1 without these issues.
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;592189
Better is a subjective term. OctaMED SS is more than capable of controlling my kit and after so many years of using it, I just know where everything is.

I have so little outbord hardware now (mostly just midi/USB controllers) I don't need controllers... You have to love Arturia's softsynths :)

I tried the PC version and frankly was not very impressed. There seemed to be an awful lot of lag from keypress to note playback when editing with it. Unfortunately, I tend to notice the same issue when running it in both WinUAE and E-UAE and adjusting the sound buffers for lower latency tends to produce some stuttering effects.

ok, I can see your problem. I don't have any latency issues with UAE (what there is isn't noticeable and if I want any output I'll mix down to disk anyway).

Conversely, OS3.x/4.x run it just fine on both my A1200 and A1 without these issues.

Fair enough, but Tension might want to invest a little time learning a few more modern Trackers... It's both fun, and rewarding :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »
Quote from: Tension;592142

1. AROS for Amiga68K is in the works.  Goal is to run AOS apps on those AROS based Amiga 68K machines.

2. OS4 and MOS both use a 68K emulator.  You like running AOS 68K apps on those OSs, you shouldn't have any issues running AOS apps on a full blown emulator like JanusUAE.  Emulation is emulation.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 01:18:42 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592191
I have so little outbord hardware now (mostly just midi/USB controllers) I don't need controllers... You have to love Arturia's softsynths :)

I don't mind using them, but composition still happens in OMSS :)

ok, I can see your problem. I don't have any latency issues with UAE (what there is isn't noticeable and if I want any output I'll mix down to disk anyway).

It only affects editing, which is the strange thing. Normal playback is fine. You could put it down to a "slow" PC, but I suspect it's not that (see signature).

Fair enough, but Tension might want to invest a little time learning a few more modern Trackers... It's both fun, and rewarding :)

Sure, I was talking from my own perspective.
int p; // A

Offline Tension

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592191

Yeah but i'm trying to put it off as long as possible because OSS is the only "killer app" I have on the Amiga.  All my mates have been trying to convert me to Ableton/Reason/Logic for years now, and I must admit it does look very tempting.

I fear that once I stop using OSS, that will be the end of my Amiga journey forever. :(

Offline Iggy

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »
Quote from: Tension;592231
Yeah but i'm trying to put it off as long as possible because OSS is the only "killer app" I have on the Amiga.  All my mates have been trying to convert me to Ableton/Reason/Logic for years now, and I must admit it does look very tempting.

I fear that once I stop using OSS, that will be the end of my Amiga journey forever. :(

That's an interesting insight in your logic. Perhaps the reason I had no problem moving on into NG is that there were no compelling software packages I had to keep.
This kind of explains some of the fragmentation in our community. Some of us are devoted to the original hardware or software. Others are focused on the OS and its later derivitives. Looking at this from your viewpoint (the former position), its easier to understand your arguement over what is (or is not) an Amiga.

We're not even on the same page when we discuss this question.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
Quote from: Tension;592231

Logic and Reason are damn near perfect production and composition tools, though they overlap quite a bit in functionality... I find Reason good for getting stuff going and Logic for cleaning it all up and putting that Pro edge on it.

Ableton is singular for live work. I never used Logic's Mainstage (live performance) software live but it did seem quite good... but at the end of the day on Stage you want something reliable and most importantly RELIABLE (I know technically that is only one thing... but it's so important). Ableton has been 100% reliable for me for live work and that has covered something near 500 gigs!

Nah, even up to 2008 I was still sampling and tracking on my A1200. I like grungy audio and the Octamed interface... So I use it... :)

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »
Quote from: Tension;592136

Am I missing something here??

The definition of 'amiga system' is a personal opinion, not a law.
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Tension

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 07:44:22 PM »
Quote from: Fats;592268
Staf.

How is that possible?  In the same way that being black is a state of mind?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
Quote from: Fats;592268
Staf.

Correction, 'Amiga' is a trademark (covered by US laws). Our personal opinions as to what is or is not an 'Amiga System' are just that, opinions.

Thanks to CUSA and AInc. that definition is going to get seriously muddied.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 11:38:08 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592186

LMAROF!

You're not serious. Really. OSS for the PC is a skippy buggy abomination that gives the concept of a "tracker" software a really bad name.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline nicholas

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 16, 2010, 11:47:25 PM »
A question that I'd love to know the answer to is: Why does OctaMED Sound Studio work perfectly on OS4.1 running on a Pegasos II but not on MorphOS running on the exact same machine?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini