Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros Raspberri Pi  (Read 3620 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
Re: Aros Raspberri Pi
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 03, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
Quote from: phoenixkonsole;751711
well aeros lets you run available linux applications.
what i have seen from riscos doesnt impress me.
There is a video of a painting app where you can see that there is a drawing delay. Much more than with tuxpaint on aeros.

Ah, you saw some outdated video of a drawing program and judged the OS by that. Great.

scummvm works good too on x11 even without drivers.

Look at ANY sequence with scrolling, please. You'll see how UGLY it looks.
Take a look at CPU usage on the Pi if you scale any game to fullHD resolution using the CPU.
Try to run Monkey Island 3, on a FullHD resolution, under X11 on the Pi.
Drivers were really needed...
But not only for Scummvm, but for any SDL1.2.x game on the Pi.

the truth is that on x86 linux 2d/3d enabled x11 is faster than aros native. Also hosted can access every fs and network linux can. Nowadays linux boots 5 times faster on modern hw than native aros.

I thought we were talking about ARM here.

Xwayland brings accelerated 2d to pi and so to aros hosted .
If you like to moan about closed drivers, contact raspi foundation.

I'm NOT moaning about closed drivers. I'm just talking about my very negative experience with arm socs with closed drivers, so others can save money and time. "If you like to moan...". What a response. Meh.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
An Aros starter system for under 50$ is great, but an aros starter system that is too slow to run most classic games is not going to give users much confidence in AROS or fun.

Maybe its just me, but the ability to run classic apps and games is an important thing. I want a system where I can run all classic software, alongside newly ported apps. I have not tested classic apps on pi, but on pc you need 2.4-3ghz to run everything well, especially aga games.

I just don't think a pi can do this, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Besides this, doesn't amiga ng have enough underperforming under powered underwhelming machines with SAM/OS4 ?

:laugh1:

P.S. I would like to see benchmarks though with a 35$ computer put up against the sam boards!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;751707
I'm fascinated with Risc OS on the Pi. What an awesome desktop OS! This is how a native AROS port would run I guess.
It is pretty neat. I really need to play around with it more; there's an interestingly different feel to it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
@gaula92
i think we are talking about x11 in general..

So i just tell you that you can't "judge" it for the bad performance on rpi.

On any other device, may it ARM, x86, ppc or whatever, X11 runs fast.

Check this and cry:
https://developer.nvidia.com/content/kayla-platform

This is a ARM device in desktop league.

Cubie is nice since it gives better performance than a SAM for around 80 bucks (including PSU, sdcard)
X11 flies, check cubieez.

All have X11 drivers and so X11 is not bad.

Wayland without drivers sucks totally... Means.
Instead of wasting time with waylaid, people should just create X11 compatible drivers.

Wayland is not as bloated because it has no "history". X11 supports any HW since the beginning of Linux. Wayland doesn't. Less features, less compatibility = smaller footprint. Is it really better? Depends on what you use Linux and if you need old stuff to work. I could accept wayland when it proves good backward-compatibility with the Xwayland wrapper.

PS: the vidio i saw was a few weeks old. So yes i judge, because it runs on a defined HW called rPi.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Quote from: phoenixkonsole;751722
@gaula92

Check this and cry:

Cubie is nice since it gives better performance than a SAM for around 80 bucks (including PSU, sdcard)

Instead of wasting time with waylaid, people should just create X11 compatible drivers.

Wayland is not as bloated because it has no "history". X11 supports any HW since the beginning of Linux. Wayland doesn't. Less features, less compatibility = smaller footprint. Is it really better? Depends on what you use Linux and if you need old stuff to work. I could accept wayland when it proves good backward-compatibility with the Xwayland wrapper.

PS: the vidio i saw was a few weeks old. So yes i judge, because it runs on a defined HW called rPi.

Native AROS x86 with nVidia GPU accleration simply flies when I run it on my 7 year old laptop w/GeForce Go5200.  I would imagine that a native ARM version with 2D/3D acceleration using Tegra or Mali would also be jaw dropping when compared to classic and NG Amigas graphically. Not to mention the price comparison(s) to NG Amigas....that would be jaw dropping as well.  It seems that the critics of AROS running natively on ARM or x86 consist mostly of folks who have an economic interest in NG Amigas.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;751736
...I would imagine that a native ARM version with 2D/3D acceleration using Tegra or Mali would also be jaw dropping when compared to classic and NG Amigas graphically. Not to mention the price comparison(s) to NG Amigas....that would be jaw dropping as well.  It seems that the critics of AROS running natively on ARM or x86 consist mostly of folks who have an economic interest in NG Amigas.

Well that is odd.
I thought you had a fairly negative opinion about NG systems.

Frankly, I'd tend to agree with you that ARM seems to be the truly promising ISA for these systems.

As much as I like A-eon's designs, the pricing of new PPC systems puts them out of the reach of most of us.

On the other hand, I have a quad core A9 based appliance that was really cheap and it flies.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;751750

On the other hand, I have a quad core A9 based appliance that was really cheap and it flies.

The RockChip RK3188 CPU's (don't know if its the one you have but RK3188 is a Cortex A9 based design) are looking very promising in that respect - Rockchip have been unusually open (for ARM SOC manufacturers) in releasing whatever info they can about it (which unfortunately excludes the GPU, as it's an ARM Mali 400, and ARM does not allow manufacturers to release stuff openly), and there's a full Linux distro available for it (Pi%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!u - Ubuntu derivative, as the name indicates).

No HW accelerated graphics for it yet, and that'll likely remain a challenge. (On the Linux side there's the "workaround" of eventually using the Android display subsystem with Wayland or Mir) But it's still fast enough to be able to do unaccelerated software decoding of 720p video just fine.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
@gaula92

Still in war with X11 just for a bad implementation on raspbian and talking about pi like a highend computer... its a deja vu!
a1200 060

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »
Quote from: vidarh;751965
(Pi%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!u -

This confused me greatly when I checked in on this thread again, until I realized it got caught by the somewhat overzealous profanity filter....

The distro name starts with "pic" and ends with "untu".

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;751750
Well that is odd.
I thought you had a fairly negative opinion about NG systems.

Frankly, I'd tend to agree with you that ARM seems to be the truly promising ISA for these systems.

As much as I like A-eon's designs, the pricing of new PPC systems puts them out of the reach of most of us.

No, I had a PegII Open Desktop Workstation and I loved it.  I paid $700 for it back in 2009 direct from Bill Buck's final production run.  I couldn't justify keeping it around just for the light office-use that it was performing so I finally ended up selling it on eBay in 2012 for the same price I paid for it.  Talk about maintaining good resale value!  You won't see that often with computers.

My only gripe with NG Amigas is with the X1000.  It was designed, produced and sold years after my PegII was discontinued, but costs 500% more than my PegII. The PegII also outperforms it based on the few benchmarks numbers that I've seen. I also had licenses for MOS and OS4 and can verify that OS4 was a dog compared to MOS.  On my PegII, OS4 was much slower than MOS and MOS had/has a much more polished look and feel.  MOS also had better hardware support for USB.  Nearly every USB device plugged in while running OS4 caused OS4 to become so unstable that it wasn't usable.  I finally just stopped using OS4 and stuck with MOS exclusively.

I expect that the successor to the X1000 will also be an extremely overpriced, underpowered POS.  Right now, the future of Amiga-like operating systems is with AROS. A-Eon/Hyperion will price themselves out of business if they continue down their current path. Long live AROS.

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »
I just do not know how I do it. :)
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 01:24:58 AM »
Quote from: phoenixkonsole;751722
@gaula92

Check this and cry:

You apparently lead a sheltered life.
Currently I would not consider any product that does not have at least a dual core A9 processor.
I was rather dismayed to see that the Cubie you mention was offered with A7 and A9 processors.

And the price on the Nvidia board you mentioned is ludicrous.

It would be nice to see more ARM boards that featured PCIe expansion like the Nvidia board (even if it only offered four lanes), but I'm sure that will become more common.

Something tells me that when the A57 is released, other ISA manufacturers better watch out.
But for now, I can't serious recommend it for anything other than mcu use if it is not at least A9 or A15 based.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"