Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS3.9 under WinUAE guide released.  (Read 4515 times)

Description:

uae.device error
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2003, 09:19:59 PM »
This guide is great!!!  However, I keep getting the Cache CDFS error "Cannot open uae.device unit 3" error upon boot.  How do I correct this problem?

Thanks a million,
dm

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
Re: uae.device error
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2003, 09:22:32 PM »
@DeliveryMan901

First of all make sure your ASPI drivers are not corrupt and make sure uaescsi.device is ticked,

Have you installed any recent cd burning software?

More info would help.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2003, 06:20:44 PM »
Thanks for a FAST reply.  I am a relatively inexperienced Amiga user, so I am still learning how all this stuff works.

Here is my configuration:
1.7 GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RAM
Windows XP SP1
WinUAE 0.8.22 Release 4
Kickstart 3.1 ROM
Amiga OS 3.9 BoingBag 2
Picasso96 installed

I do have a CD burner with Nero installed. (HP CD-Writer cd16r)

I have tried a few different configurations:
With UAE scsi.device
With UAE scsi.device + Use ASPI SCSI layer
Use ASPI SCSI layer

Every time I boot the Amiga, it does this, and an Intuition error comes up shortly afterward stating that it is trying to reset the Workbench screen.  Workbench shows up as default resolution and color depth, and does not load my P96 settings.

Maybe I have incorrectly installed Amiga OS, I dont know.  The install guide states that this error occurs upon install, but afterwards it says nothing about it.  Suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,
dm

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2003, 06:43:43 PM »
@DeliveryMan901

Every time I boot the Amiga, it does this, and an Intuition error comes up shortly afterward stating that it is trying to reset the Workbench screen. Workbench shows up as default resolution and color depth, and does not load my P96 settings.

Delete the file

Sys:Prefs/Env-archive/Sys/screenmode.prefs

then reboot and set again the screenmode, save the settings and reboot to see if is ok,

The Intuition error is caused in your case because of the pop up error stating "unable to open uae.device unit 3"

As for the ASPI problems i suggest you delete every single trace (even the hidden files) and install them from scratch.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2003, 06:44:20 PM »

Perhaps the translation is not as good as intended. The original guide says that you should delete the CD0 icon from Devs:DosDrivers to get rid of the error message.

This assumes an earlier version of WinUAE where the CD-ROM was included as a hard disk (e.g. 0.8.17 from AmigaForever 5). To use the latest WinUAE's native CD-ROM support, load CD0 into a text editor (e.g. Editpad) and change uae.device to uaescsi.device and change unit=3 to unit=. Look at http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-rapp/uaescsi.html to determine "what your drive needs".

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2003, 06:49:04 PM »

P.S. there is also a short guide how to create an OS3.9 emergency disk  for WinUAE versions with native CD-ROM support (0.8.21 and above). So you can install 3.9 directly from CD.

http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-rapp/os39uae.html

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2003, 07:05:46 PM »

Every time I boot the Amiga, it does this, and an Intuition error comes up shortly afterward stating that it is trying to reset the Workbench screen. Workbench shows up as default resolution and color depth, and does not load my P96 settings.

This is AmigaOS's usual behavior for early errors. You will be used to it if you start customising your AmigaOS.

Use the backdrop buttons of the windows to get CacheCDFS's message in front. Once the uae.device message is confirmed, Intuition will change the screen mode to your preferences (if you did not cancel Intuition's requester).

Bye,
Thomas

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Re: OS3.9 under WinUAE guide released.
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2003, 09:01:48 PM »
Nice one ...
good job done.
I just got upgraded to os 3.9 today... (copied by hand)hehe...

:-D

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2003, 11:24:02 PM »
@Thomas
This solution worked perfectly!!!  Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks a million,
dm

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2003, 09:03:27 PM »
Howdy,
Following the guide, but at the section where booting from the emergency floppy adf, I get "Amiga OS3.9 has read/write error" messages, and cannot get back into the workbench.  Any ideas anyone?  I have checked with FIX IDE that the uaescsi.device is correctly set to unit 0 for WinUAE, I have enabled UAESCSI.device in the MISC tab...
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2003, 09:23:08 PM »
Thanks!  I'm glad for the guide.  Now, if only I had time to use it....
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Rigger

• Show only replies by Rigger
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2003, 05:59:51 AM »
Thanks. Finally running the same setup as my real Amiga.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2003, 11:48:22 AM »

Following the guide, but at the section where booting from the emergency floppy adf, I get "Amiga OS3.9 has read/write error" messages, and cannot get back into the workbench. Any ideas anyone? I have checked with FIX IDE that the uaescsi.device is correctly set to unit 0 for WinUAE, I have enabled UAESCSI.device in the MISC tab...

Load the file Devs/EMERGENCY_CD from the emergency floppy into a text editor and change the MaxTransfer setting to 0xfe00.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Phoenix

• Show only replies by Phoenix
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2003, 12:33:10 PM »

Very nice but have you got a one inch punch,
or have you gone  Metric???? :-D

[color=FF3300]Smile it's Friday!![/color][/b][/i][/u]
Rising from the ashes
Base the hardware on the future and use the convictions of the past..

Offline jd997uk

• Show only replies by jd997uk
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2003, 04:28:13 PM »
@Desolator

Cheers for this, another project for this weekend  :-D
I've actually only started to play with AmigaForever5 (even though I bought it 2 years ago) this week as my previous setup was too slow.
Q: If I install the latest version of WinUAE over the top of the one supplied with AmigaForever5  will it break all my settings, or do they remain intact?

Q: Are there any benchmarks listed anywhere, comparing UAE setups. I've an XP1700+, MSI KT4Ultra with 256MB DDR@333Mhz and was wondering how it will compare against my 1200/060.
The main useage for this machine will be with Imagine and ImageFX.

-john
Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 31, 2003, 05:20:07 PM »
Q: If I install the latest version of WinUAE over the top of the one supplied with AmigaForever5 will it break all my settings, or do they remain intact?

The settings will stay intact. But if you install the 5.1 update you will get the latest WinUAE anyway.

Q: Are there any benchmarks listed anywhere, comparing UAE setups. I've an XP1700+, MSI KT4Ultra with 256MB DDR@333Mhz and was wondering how it will compare against my 1200/060.
The main useage for this machine will be with Imagine and ImageFX.

Benchmarks ? Boring. Try it out. It is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast.

Bye,
Thomas