Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon on Sony Vaio  (Read 3813 times)

Description:

Offline amifaceTopic starter

• Show only replies by amiface
Re: Amithlon on Sony Vaio
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 03, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »
Hi mate, Thanks alot for your help. Amiga Forever seems to be running alot better now, ive plateaued out at 800*600 at 8 bit which is basically running about the same speed as my old 060 based amiga ran, and sometimes faster/slower. Overall Im actually pretty damn impressed after ironing out the problems, it seems i was wrong about the memory leak.

Remaining issues that Id love to solve:

fkey still wont save (the icon information saves fine, but not the actual fkey prefs - where are they actually saved???? is there any way to "pipe" them in from a script at boot time? or is there an fkey replacement?)

the palette messes up when i flip to workbench from windows - this means all the icons, mui colours and especially web browsing looks terrible.

someone has seen fit to make "page down" jump to some very odd amiga style bluescreen of death - i dont know what the hell it is or how to quit it without rebooting! This is rather annoying as I hit it sometimes when im trying to press enter.

On a another note, i think running it on windows is now essential as I had completely forgotten how incomatible amiga browsers are, I need to be able to flip to windows for a few things so infact i think this is a relatively good solution, even if it no doubt runs alot slower with windows churning away in the background.

Happy new year to you too, I was at the edinburgh street party which was fun!

Offline amifaceTopic starter

• Show only replies by amiface
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 07:21:23 PM »
whoops submitted twice.

Offline McSquirrel

• Show only replies by McSquirrel
    • http://McSquirrel.istcool.de
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 01:39:01 PM »
Hey amiface,

I just found some time after a week of University and will now try to answer.

What do you mean by "fkey prefs"? They actually *should* save within the FKey icon file as so-called tool tips. When FKey is run, it just takes the settings/preferences from there. Remember that you need to run it from Workbench (or put it in the SYS:WBStartup drawer for automatic startup), as running it from within a script (like Startup-Sequence) or CLI/Shell won't make use of the icon's tool tips (unless you use WBRun from Aminet).

You say the palette changes when switching WinUAE > MS Windows > WinUAE? So it seems to be a WinUAE rather than a Workbench error. What screen mode / color depth do you use for MS Windows? Have you tried windowed mode, or tried to activate the "Fullscreen RTG" and use WinUAE's Picasso96 driver (came with WinUAE 0.8.8R8 as uaegfx.card and seems to be replaced by rtg.library now) for a 16bit screen mode?

For an easy setup and a really great Workbench experience, you should give "Amiga in a Box" (AIAB) or "AmiKit" a try. I have been running AIAB at 1024x768 at 16 bit color on my PIII/500MHz using WinUAE 0.8.8R8 without any speed issues, just to show some guys how nice an Amiga setup could be.
http://aiab.amiga.sk
http://amikit.amiga.sk
(Workbench and ROM files needed)

I wonder if one day there may be a hybrid WinUAE so WB windows could just appear on the MS Windows screen (or the other way round). I think it would be big fun to have WinUAE/WB as Windows desktop replacement.

Thanks, I have been sharing New Year's Eve with my parents and some neighbors at my home village. Letter-shaped salt sticks can be funny!