Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: E-UAE Mac OS 10.4.3 Tiger  (Read 8226 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: E-UAE Mac OS 10.4.3 Tiger
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 26, 2006, 04:31:44 AM »

Macman wrote:

amigadave wrote:
Is a beginners guide to setting up EUAE on a Mac PPC still being written by someone in this thread?  I hope so, I am waiting on a part to get my Titanium 1gHz G4 Powerbook working again and would like to emulate the Amiga on it, instead of using WinUAE on VirtualPC.

Yup, that was me planning to do an EUAE guide, mainly because when I was looking for one I couldn't find one. I have all the details / downloads / install methods / and how to use with both Amiga forever and Amiga in a box.

I just need some testing time, and time to set up a couple of EUAE configs to make it easy to run Amiga games optimised for a500 and a1200 by double clicking.

The only other thing I might need is somewhere to host it, that would be most beneficial to Amigans looking for said guide.

Watch this space!

Great, I'll be watching and waiting for it.  I am also going to contact the guy who put together AmiKit which works on PC's with a person's copy of Amiga Forever, Amithlon, or WinUAE and AmigaOS3.9.  Maybe he can be persuaded to do an AmiKit install for the Mac.  I have been pretty impressed with AmiKit on my son's PC w/Athlon64 3000+.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline MacmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Macman
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 09:34:08 AM »
Great, I'll be watching and waiting for it.  I am also going to contact the guy who put together AmiKit which works on PC's with a person's copy of Amiga Forever, Amithlon, or WinUAE and AmigaOS3.9.  Maybe he can be persuaded to do an AmiKit install for the Mac.  I have been pretty impressed with AmiKit on my son's PC w/Athlon64 3000+.

Warms the {bleep}les of an old Amigans heart ;) Passing Amiga and computer knowledge down to your Son. Nice one. I've not heard of AmiKit, does it run in WinUAE or replace the OS like Fellow?

My biggest test of EUAE will be a couple of games that hammer the chipset, such as Gloom and the killing grounds. I also have a soft spot for skidmarks that I rediscovered recently, this title has a special place in my memory as it was developed initially where I work! And I was involved in it's testing.

I was wondering if there are plans to host documents and guides to help Amigans on this site? in a similar way to the Images section. Personnaly I would be very interested in reading the Linux guides to using EUAE and distributions on PC's.

Emulators are fab (you can guess I've been a fan for a while) as I can run a spectrum game in a window, while my emulated Amiga renders some video, which then feeds into imovie for some video editing to go to idvd on the Mac to produce pro looking Amiga generated video DVD, all while playing commando on the spectrum.

Emulation is where it is at, I can even run Windows XP on my Mac (if I feel the need) ;)

Offline ebobs

• Show only replies by ebobs
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »
Macman I must kneel at your feet! You were involved with the skidmarks series! I lost far too many hours to that brillant game. It was the thing that got me interested in 3D work. I remember trying to make my own cars in Imagine using the tutorials. That was a challenge on a stock A1200!

Anyway, the main point of this post is that I have done a few custom OS X icons for E-UAE. I don't know if you're interested in including them with your guide. They're not the most amazinig icons ever, but hopefully better than the generic ones. I've posted a screenshot in the Miscellaneous Amiga Images area.

Gloom runs sloooowly on anthing but lowest settings I've found.

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 09:02:47 AM »
Steady on! ;)

Anyway, I must say I am impressed with your icons. I particularly like the subtle beachball reflections on both the large and small beachball.

Where can I download them?, I'll certainly include the link in the guide.

Offline ebobs

• Show only replies by ebobs
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 06:24:54 PM »
I'm working on setting up a self promo web site, but that will be a while yet. I think what I'll do is set up a simple temporary one in the mean time, as I've got a couple of other bits, as well as the icons, I'd like to make available. I'll post here when it's up.

Actually, thinking about it, rather than kneeling I should be asking for all those lost hours (days?) back I spent driving a cow round a track!

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 06:44:55 PM »
Macman wrote:
Warms the {bleep}les of an old Amigans heart ;)

:lol:

Great example of mistaken censorship :) We had a similar problem at work where our Mail Sweeper started blocking email with the word "Skittyhorpe" in it ;-)

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2006, 02:51:32 PM »
Hi all,

I've finsihed my EUAE Mac OSX guide, just a few screen grabs to add. I've had to fit it into lots of other work, so sorry it took so long.

I am also making optimised .EUAERC config files for all the things you can run with Amiga Forever, so that they work well on my Mac, hopefully yours too. I hope to expand on the guide with your input, so that I can add more to it.

I plan to add more detail in getting the most out of EUAE's configuration options.

Anyone fancy hosting the guide (PDF) and the config files? My own website is very out of date, in fact its a complete mess.

I'd be embarrassed to show it to you all ;)

A little bird tells me that EUAE for Mac might soon be openGL based.

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 08:44:03 PM »
Hi there again,

Here it is goto link at the end of this message to download the guide for installing and running EUAE on the Mac.

My webskills are, erm, not that hot anymore. I liked the idea of a blog, but I only realised at the last minute that there seems to be no file upload that isn't a picture  :-?

So there is a slightly messy way of getting to the guide, through a yahoo briefcase, it's in the shared folder.

I'll improve things later when I have some more time.

Sorry it took so long. http://emacdome.blogspot.com

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 09:28:31 PM »
@Macman
"Replace the os as Fellow"????
What do you mean exactly? Fellow is a emulator like winuae. I don't understand what you were trying to say. Is possible to replace the shell with fellow?
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2006, 09:40:47 AM »
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick. The guide I have posted, was my first attempt to guide people through installing Richard Drumonds EUAE port for the Mac OS 10.3 to OS 10.4.5.

Actually I would be very interesting in an x86 binary that could be a native OS to a PC allowing it to boot Amiga OS, with no underlying OS at all.

If you have found an error or something that doesn't make sense in the guide, please leave a comment on the blog and I'll make some changes.

The guide was specifically written for Mac owners. Hope that helps.

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2006, 10:20:52 AM »
Is it something I said?

Either my getting EUAE working on your Mac guide is really good or really bad. Nobody has said anything, no comments on it being 'not bad first draft' or 'complete rubbish' I don't mind, some feedback would be good.

I'll post on a couple of more sites, to see if I can get someone to read it. ;) You guys seemed really keen early on, maybe it just took me too long to make, or it's just pants ;)

Cheers all.

emacdome.blogspot.com if you've not gone there already, I'd love someone to leave me a comment

Offline Xteafir

• Show only replies by Xteafir
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2006, 10:41:43 PM »
MacMan, your blog is set so that only "Team Members" can post comments (I tried posting to it). The guide seems fine (missed the bit about pointing Hi-Toro to where EUAE is).

A list of combinations of processor, chipset and memory settings for standard machines (A500, A500+, A1200, A4000 that sort of thing) would be greatly appreciated.

I've been having trouble getting EUAE to run on my Intel Mac and was wondering if the symptoms pointed to something other than an incompatibility with Intel Macs. I've installed the SDL library, dug out my Kickstart ROM and fired up EUAE through Hi-Toro. Hi-Toro does its whirly thing and then a Terminal window opens for a split second and then closes.

I ran the Unix Executable for EUAE and it goes through a fair bit of configuring (it can't initialise the GUI though - but I think I'm right in saying that the OS X build doesn't have this). It then gets to the line about setting the PAL (or NTSC - I tried both) and then the following line says "Illegal Operation" and Terminal stops.

Intel issue or something simple? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »
I've set my blog to allow anyone to comment now. I knew I'd missed something, thanks for that. will do a bit of editing re:Hi-Torro config.

The list sounds useful, very interested on what is happening on your intel Mac. Unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to own one. But we have just acquired one of the wonderful beasts at work.

I might be able to do a little testing, as we have both G5 and intel Macs at work! Alternatively, I can think of nothing better than contacting Richard Drummond.

A little bird tells me that it might only be a matter of weeks until a new version of EUAE is released. I suspect SDL lib problems for you on an intel Mac though. Do you have any other software that requires SDL that works ok?

I think it might be SDL on intel OSX. Try another emulator that needs SDL, if it fails when trying to initialise a display then it is SDL / OSx86 at fault.

Thanks very much for the comments, very useful indeed.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 05:03:41 PM »
I dont think an emulator can ever replace the classic amiga when it comes to games that hit the chipset. As you said, the emulators works perfectly well in rtg using workbench and software, but you will never get the true realistic experience when it comes to games. A pc/mac just wont be able to render for example scrolling as smoothly as the real thing and it is also very hard to get audio totally synced with gfx even on a modern pc.

I believe also e-uae lacks vsync to refresh rate, which will cause the grapchics to tear during movement, which is something that never happens on the real amiga.

But then again, i am very picky about this stuff and some people will probably not even notice these problems.

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2006, 03:49:37 PM »
You're right, although I separate Workbench and games into different emulator setups. What is good for workbench often isn't good for chipset.

I have been very impressed with Win-UAE running chipset hitting games, when you think about it, it is amazing it works at all. I get very smooth results from Win-UAE. Being able to tripple buffer in hardware helps I'm sure.

EUAE on the Mac goes through a gfx rendering layer (the SDL framework) so is bound to be not as good.

Both emulators are highly accomplished, I hear that EUAE will impliment vsync soon. But you are right, you can notice tearing during some games if you don't customise their settings.

I'm quite picky too, and notice gfx rendering faults. I am making .EUAERC config files for Mac G5 & Hi-Torro. These run demos and games well on the Mac, I am making special config files for Workbench's, and config files for ECS and AGA games.

EUAE&SDL render very much faster when used in full screen.

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2006, 03:56:48 PM »
Forgot to say, I still have my real Amiga. Unfortunatly it is in a cupboard with the Monitor in the loft! ;/

Unfortunatly I don't have enough space to set it up, hence the reason I really like emulators.

Emulator writers are the most talented of all programmers!

There is no way I will ever sell my Amiga, it will be set up one day ;)