Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: E-UAE Mac OS 10.4.3 Tiger  (Read 8225 times)

Description:

Offline MacmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Macman
E-UAE Mac OS 10.4.3 Tiger
« on: January 11, 2006, 05:09:36 PM »
I didn't think I was stupid, until I tried to set up E-UAE.

I have a very good working knowledge of Amigas, emulation, and WinUAE. I have my Amiga roms, test ADF's ready to go.

But, I am almost ready to admit defeat :-?

Is there such a thing as a guide to setting up E-UAE with Hi-Torro ?

Apple have just released an intel Dual core iMac and laptop, this will have big implications for emulation on the Mac, for the better I think.

One of the most exiting things will be being able to run Windows on the Mac at almost native x86 speed. It runs pretty well on my iMac now but will only get better.

Although will this mean that emulator writers will get lazy and rely on the windows ports of emulators instead of building native versions for multiple OS's?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: E-UAE Mac OS 10.4.3 Tiger
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 06:56:18 PM »
You're not alone!  I gave up months ago on my Powerbook and have the same thoughts about the new IntelMacs running WinUAE.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:58:36 PM »
Sorry I posted in haste,

Just like to say Hi, I'm new to this forum. Looks like a knowledgeable friendly lot in here.

I'm fairly new to the Mac but know the Amiga and Windows backwards. Hopefully I'll get a good Amiga emulator up and running at some point.

I know you guys would understand that I quite miss my Amiga, I was going to set up the newest AIAB archive on E-UAE.

This is prompted by the excellent AIAB, and also a visit to a very cool website.

HOL Amiga Database

Brought back so many memories, being controversial here I would say that the Mac is the new Amiga! I love my mac in the same way that I used to love my Amiga.

There is no way I have ever "loved" using a PC / windows.

Using my Mac I am now having "fun" using a computer rather than having to tweak and fix it all the time. It's just like using a modern Amiga again, but better.

Oops, just realised I have drifted off topic!

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 02:23:30 PM »
This is embarasing. Also read (and re-read the docs)

I'm starting to get somewhere, I'm building download locations and a helppages to make it easier for the Mac newbie to set up EUAE.

I have now got a starting point of a working Amiga on my Mac, I was using a limited account, and needed to make changes in an Admin account. I did this low level installation stuff with fast user switching.

Thing is I was in the middle of rendering and saving an H264 movie. I was stunned to see my movie still happily rendering away for me, whilst me (as another user) made an alteration to the OS, and then ran EUAE with my movie still rendering in my limited profile.

Erm, my emulated Amiga seems to be running at full speed, even though I am rendering a movie, and typing on this forum.

The Mac is awsome to do all this at once, so easily.

Now all I have to do is configure it, put my fav games one click away, then try to configure my Sony playstation joypad through a USB converter, not sure if that works in this version of EUAE.

I have the hard disk contents from my A1200 to move, another vitual HD to make containing AIAB and another containing Amiga Forever.

My movie is still rendering, and my Virtual Amiga is asking me to insert a floppy. ;)

Thanks for the help, I have been weak and also purchased the Cloanto 2005 CD/DVD set as I feel an Amiga nastalgia weekend approaching  :-)

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »
Hi there - and welcome!

Have you actually got it all up and running happily? I too had difficulties getting it all running, and eventually determined that my KS3.1 ROM was corrupt (or something!) - unfortunately I haven't quite figured out where the relevant files are stored on the AF 2005, so I'm running using the CD32 ROM from an earlier version of AF that I transferred from my old PC...

What Mac are you using? Sounds like it's a bit more capable than my mini... :-)
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 03:29:39 PM »
Macman wrote:
Brought back so many memories, being controversial here I would say that the Mac is the new Amiga! I love my mac in the same way that I used to love my Amiga.

There is no way I have ever "loved" using a PC / windows

I know exactly what you mean. Somehow using MacOS X feels like using the Amiga to me, even though they're really not that similar. It's weird :-)

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 09:02:57 PM »
I have got it up and running It is not quite as fast as I thought, it seems to be that the more chipset functions that are in use at the same time, the slower it gets.

Workbench will be fantastic though, epsecially with RTG. I'm not displeased with it's performance for games yet, as I havn't started tweaking it yet.

I should be able to set up two folders with games that work best with an emulated A1200 and those that don't need that level as an A500.

The trick seems to be to turn off everything in the emulator you don't need.

Each folder then can run a custom UAE setup depending on what the game needs, shouldn't be to hard. Then I just need to drop the games into the correct folder to be configured.

When I get my AF I'll include that in any guide I make.

I'm using a 17" iMac G5 with a gig of ram (ram really helps with emus) and a 250gig HD. The 20" iMac is faster.

The new intel iMac is 2-3 times faster. With a new native intel OSX version of EUAE - this should be awesome.

EUAE is also faster running full screen, but I'm running it in a window at the moment.

I'll have to dig out my Amiga benchmarking software. It's early days yet. I've only just got it booting and running a demo or two....

It was cool when my Mac audio blasted out "Fisrt there was menace, now a DMA design game - Blood Money!" :-)

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:08:40 PM »
Mac feels like an Amiga?

It's the closest I've seen, there are even things like LIBS (library folders) that do similar things on the Mac.

I think the reason it feels the same is that they are both elegant systems.

I mean, what is the point of the registry :lol:

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:15:23 PM »
OSX on the Mac is a very cool Unix.

Amiga OS was also based on Unix underpinnings when it was developed, there are lots of similarities.

Fedora Core 4 (x86 Linux) also feels like this.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 09:49:28 PM »
For some reason or another UAE has never been quite complete on superior OS's such as ANYTHING not winblows. It's very ironic. :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ebobs

• Show only replies by ebobs
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 10:17:40 PM »
This is my first (very brief) post on this site.

I  installed E-UAE on a G5, iMac and Powerbook a couple of months ago and have been playing with the various settings etc...    

A E-UAE beginers guide is a great idea as it took me ages to piece the various bits of info together.

If you need a hand with your guide Macman, I'll do my best to help.

Offline bonkers

• Show only replies by bonkers
    • http://www.tulou.org
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 10:56:32 PM »
It took me sometime to get E-UAE working on my iBook, it's a bit to slow to be useable (iBook g4 800) but it still comes in handy now and then when I don't have a real amiga around.

As for OS X being simialr in feeling to AmigaOS I couldn't agree more. To me it even is the new AmigaOS, because it is the only inovative OS around and that is what amiga used to stand for (atleast for me). You can't really say that MorphOS or OS4 is inovative, really cool yes but inovative no. When the amiga came it borrowed a lot from the *nix world and made it useable, apple have just taken it a step further by giving us a full blown *nix enviroment that just works.
Money is just paper but good demos last forever.
Choose Life , Choose Scene

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

XDelusion wrote:
For some reason or another UAE has never been quite complete on superior OS's such as ANYTHING not winblows. It's very ironic. :/

I agree, although I've come to regard Windows as a sad excuse for an OS, I suppose they have done pretty well with x86 backwards compatibility which has always hampered what windows could have been. It became more hard work than fun, so I switched to the Mac, and haven't regretted it for a second. ;)

The most modern fast and up to date emulators are ALWAYS written for windows first, I've got no problem with that. Although I have found some excellent emulators for OSX, I will be setting up other machines on my Mac soon ish.

This is an Amiga forum though, so I thought I'd start with one of the hardest computers to emulate. Unfortunately EUAE is lagging behind WinUAE, but good effort I say, keep up the good work. I am pleased with it so far....

Bravo to the author of EUAE, Hi-Torro interface, the AmigaInABox developer and not forgetting the SDL library creators. If we didn't have these people, you would be forced to use Windows to emulate an Amiga. ;/

I forgot to mention the excellent work undertaken by Cloanto, they have EUAE on a bootable CD using a custom boot knoppix unix distro for PC's. So bravo to them too, long may they stay in business. When my platinum AF arrives I should be enjoying watching the DVD history videos as well.

Getting there. There will be screenshots to come.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 11:52:46 AM »
RATS, I'm having trouble with my filespace to add screengrabs, is there another method? or can I mail them (3) to someone to post here? Sorry.

I have 3 interesting screengrabs of EUAE working on my iMac they are not big.

AIAB.PNG 640k Image of a slight problem I am having setting up picasso with AIAB, can anyone work out the problem?

Wizball.PNG EUAE 832k Wizball running on my Mac, the first game I got when I bought my Amiga  :-)

Wizball.PNG 68k window of it running at full speed.

the only thing you can't experience is the sound... can anyone lend a hand to get these pics on the forum?

Thanks.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 03:04:26 PM »
I used to emulate a Mac on my Amiga, now I emulate an Amiga on my Mac ;)