Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need help - want to boot my amiga HD on PC with WinUAE  (Read 3398 times)

Description:

Offline dredgerTopic starter

• Show only replies by dredger
Need help - want to boot my amiga HD on PC with WinUAE
« on: September 03, 2005, 02:06:13 PM »
Hello all,
 This post will be long but i like to be precise and explain all I already tried

So;
1. I have a A1200/030 with Quantum 800Mb HD, still working, using it and typing on it while listening mods.  HD is 3 1/2 in Master mode.  To plug it on my pc, i just had to change to slave mode as it's on the same cable than my plextor.  I have a 2000+ with 1,5Gb Ram and FX5900, well, i have enough on this side
2. I installed WinUAE, and i also installed AIAB, but I dont really see the use of this ?  It added a line in the "Configurations" panel of WinUAE, the following : Default (WinUAE v1.x configuration file for AIAB r10.5)  I would guess it's a kind of profile.  So I kept it and went in the Misc panel and checked the "UAE scsi.device" as I read in another post
3. Now, going in the Hard Drives section of WinUAE, I click on Add Harddrive button.  It well listed me the Quantum HD, only this one, with a horrible name exactly the following : "HD_QUANTUM TRB850A A04.05 3536353835333233353133342020202020202020", I also checked r/w box. - Now ok, it list it in the Hard Drives window, following line :
Device: n/a - Volume: n/a - Path: HD_QUANTUM xxxx (the long name) - R/W: yes - Block Size: 512 - Size: 810.6M - BootPri: n/a
4. I tried to start WinUAE then ==> I have the insert disk page with "3.00 ROM 39.186" displayed.

So, dont work there
I tried another think :
5. Still in Hard Drives section of WinUAE I click on Add Hardfile.  In Path I put the long name for the Quantum HD, nothing else changed and clicked on Ok.  I have a line in the Hard Drives window which is now the following :
Device: DH0 - Volume: n/a - Path: HD_QUANTUM xxxx (the long name) - R/W: yes - Block Size: 512 - Size: 810.6M - BootPri: 0
I click on start button and here there's a change, I have grey screen with little box telling me "Not a DOS disk in device DH0" and retry/cancel options

One notice is that my HD is partionned.  I divided it in 5 partitions.  So it's maybe because WinUAE thinks it's only one partition of 810Mo but it's not, and maybe the problem is there !?

So I think I'm not so far to succeed, but Im stuck, I don't know what else i can do.  If someone could help !?  I wouldnt like to have to re-install all my workbench or whatever.  I just would like to see my amiga screen with my boot sequence, my menus, well, all the same than when I start my A1200 in a window on my PC.

One last question : is there a utility for windows which permits to read an amiga HD connected to the PC and browse into the filesystem ?  I mean a simple utility which would be transparent in explorer and accessing the amiga partitions like any other dos/ntfs partitions being able to manage files, and without, of course, destroying the amiga filesystem so I still can plug it back on my amiga and boot it ?  Dont answer me "yes with WinUAE".  I searched but didn't find.

Thanks for the ones who could maybe help
Dont hesistate to send me an email
Cheers
Alex

Re: Need help - want to boot my amiga HD on PC with WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 03:28:05 PM »
Hi again,
 I come to add one element :

I tried ADF Opus, I installed it.  It need the adflib developped by L. Clevy (http://lclevy.club.fr/adflib/links.html)

But there's a problem, and apparently, the downloadable dll on this site is too old !?
 when in ADF Opus v1.2, in the Menu=>File=>Open Device, i have 2 error msg windows, first one "ADFLib Error : ReadFSHDblock : FSHD id not found", i click ok then same window name with msg "adfMount : adfReadFSHDblock" and it's all.
 So I tried ADF View (http://www.viksoe.dk/adfview/", but it doesnt work too.
 And at least, on this page, it proposes to test if there's well an amiga HD connected to the pc, the small utility http://www.viksoe.dk/code/static_downloads/testhd.zip
I downladed it, extract, went into windows shell and launched the command and here are the results :

C:\>testhd 1
TestHD - Amiga HardDisk test utility

Running basic WindowsNT drive test...
Opening physical device: \\.\PhysicalDrive1
Getting drive geometry
  Cylinders = 823
  Tracks per cylinder = 32
  Sectors per track = 63
  Bytes per sector = 512
  Disk size = 849494016 (Bytes) = 810 (Mb)
Locking device
Reading sector 0
  52 44 53 4B 00 00 00 40  RDSK   @
  C6 9B 2C 30 00 00 00 07  ãø,0
  00 00 02 00 00 00 00 08
  FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 02      
Unlocking device
Closing handles
Done

Parsing arguments...

Running ADFlib drive test...
Initializing ADFlib
ADFlib version: 0.7.9b (10 september, 2000)
Mounting the device: |H1
ADFLib: Error [ReadFSHDblock : FSHD id not found]
ADFLib: Error [adfMount : adfReadFSHDblock]
Error: Unable to mount device
Done

So I think that ADFlib is an OLD one, and the problem i'm having now and it's really annoying, is to FIND an updated version of this library !?  And I can't find any ...
I went there https://sourceforge.net/projects/adfopus/ and there http://adfopus.sourceforge.net/ no way to find a new version of this dll newer than v0.7.9b, a compiled version, not the source...
And even if I find one, I still doubt that adview or adf opus will work !?

so, please, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp ^^

Thanks
Alex

Offline Acill

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 03:58:22 PM »
You dont need to install AIAB, its out of date now and it actually can break your WinUAE install. I would recoment taking WinUAE off and then installing it all over again. You should then be able to plug in the hard drive and it will work after you select the option in WinUAE for it.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline drwho

• Show only replies by drwho
    • http://www.goblingames.net
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 04:06:13 PM »
Hi Alex,

Ok, I have tried this before and also have had issues. I am sure that you can stick an Amiga drive in a PC and boot from it with WinUAE, but, I have never gotten that to work.

If you just want to get or put files on an Amiga drive from a real Amiga, which is basically what I usually use WinUAE for, here is how I do it:

1. I keep an old AdSys PCI SCSI controller in my PC to hook Amiga drives to. I get the impression from your post that you are all set from a hardware standpoint though.

2. I install WinUAE, not AIAB though, I dont think that it hurts to install AIAB, I just dont need it.

3. I setup a "harddrive" on my PC which is used to boot Amiga OS3.1 from within WinUAE.

4. I then plug my SCSI drive into the controller (with the PC turned off, of course ...).

5. I open WinUAE and load my OS3.1 Amiga configuration.

6. Select "Hard Drives" under "Hardware"

7. Click "Add Harddrive ..." button.

8. WinUAE should automatically find your Amiga formatted drive connected to your PC.

9. Tell WinUAE what you want to mount the drive as.

This works for me, but, as is often the case, your mileage may vary. If it helps, I have been using version 0.9.92 of WinUAE for quite a while. I think you can choose to download previous versions on the WinUAE website. If not, let me know and I can dig out the version that I am using (I must have it somewhere ...) and send it to you.

I hope this helps you out.

Thanks,
Mike
Amiga 2000: GVP TekMagic 060@50Mhz C:2MB F:128MB Retina Z2 HydraII
Amiga 3000T: A3640 C:2MB F:128MB Picasso II X-Surf

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »
Or copy the whole Amiga harddrive into a folder in the WinUAE drawer (with PC), then add path to the folder in winuae prefs.

Now you can disconnect the amiga HD…

Boot the amiga os from the folder...

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 05:01:45 PM »
Ok i did a  lot your advises :

Uninstalled all WinUA and AIAB, delete all rep.
Re-install all (c:\amiga\winUAE dir.)
Copy rom files in the winuae dir.
Launch WinUAE - select UAE.scsi.device in the Misc options, save this profile in "configuration" panel
I add the harddisk in the HD section
I select rom 3.1
I launch : I come to the basic grey window with one window opened named AmigaDOS and I can't do much more.

I would say that the problem is coming from the adflib.dll file
Do someone have a Win32 binary version of adflib file newer than the one here http://lclevy.club.fr/adflib/adflib.html ?

At least, the solution to copy the whole HD on my PC would please me, copy an image, iso and whatever and use it.  But "how to ?"  The only software I know which makes a totally blind copy of a whole disk is Norton Symantec Ghost, and even, im not sure.  But I think that the file he creates is not a known standard but a special one just for this software

Im at this time searching for a software which would copy the whole amiga HD to the PC.  I hope the partitions will be kept.  If someone knows an utility to do it, please let me know

Anyway, thanks for all of your replies !

btw, in the past, i had my name on various amiga pages, I had contact with Jim Collas (dunno if you remember), I pushed to have a standard dual screen on the basic new amiga (which never came), also, i proposed a eeprom disk of at least 4Mo which can be extended and completely managed by the OS which could put the most used file in it.  And look now the PC news, they only start, in 2005, to sell kind of ram disk with little batteries.  I proposed this idea in 1995 i think to Peter T.... (too complicate his name ;)  The Arexx technology was also one of the big strenght of the amiga OS... bah it's too late now...

Cheers
Alex

Offline blobrana

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 10:43:41 PM »
It’s a lot simpler than that...

You have different partitions on the Amiga HD; work, workbench, storage, etc, yeah?

Just create different PC folders for each partition...
And drag and drop the contents into each one.
(Just add the differant paths in WinUAE prefs.)

You may prefer to boot from an .ADF workbench floppy to do that, or just use the PC...

Similarly you can creat a Virtual Hard disk file later on and drag and drop the folder contents into that (using the Winuae/Amiga)

i once just dragged the contents from my 0S 3.9 CD into PC folders (rather than use the OS installer)

BTW you are using XP?

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 09:36:56 AM »
Yep i have different partitions, i just called them differently ... titi, toto, datas, jeux and ... dont remember the 5th one as my A1200 is opened and not connected at this time ;)

The problem is that i don't "see" the amiga HD, I don't see any partition.  It's well listed in the list of HD available, it's the only one listed btw, but adding the HD to WinUAE in the "add harddisk" section doesnt give me after what I was expecting, I mean I was expecting to see then a list of my 5 partitions listed, and it's not the case.

And did i miss or what, but i think that WinUAE use the adflib library (dll so for windows), and when you look the little utility "testhd" I downloaded and when you look at the results i posted in a previous post :
Parsing arguments...

Running ADFlib drive test...
Initializing ADFlib
ADFlib version: 0.7.9b (10 september, 2000)
Mounting the device: |H1
ADFLib: Error [ReadFSHDblock : FSHD id not found]
ADFLib: Error [adfMount : adfReadFSHDblock]
Error: Unable to mount device
Done

... you clearly can see a problem with this library
Or i'm missing somewhere but where ?

And yes, i'm on WinXP SP2

So im still stucked ... :-(

ps: WinUAE is working well, im just looking at the old redsector megademo right now (with A500 emulation mode cause it crashed in A1200 emulation mode)

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 10:24:49 AM »
hello,
I did what you're trying to do a few times before. I got my hd from a1200 (which is a 2.5 drive with 5 partitions), connected it to a pci IDE expansion card on my pc, and the winUAE could see it and boot it perfectly. I'm also on winxp sp2. I never selected uae.scsi device or something ? (maybe win uae did it automatically ?) what I could advice you is to try once as your amiga hd master drive in the secondary IDE channel (same jumper as on your amiga).I know it doesn't sound very logical but I think it's worth trying.
I believe in mt. Fuji

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 01:02:31 PM »
Hi again,
 I just tried, put the HD in master and alone on the cable, nothing changed

Look, i made a screenshoot of my hardrive panel once i added the HD,here it is :

Can someone compare with what he's having ?

I'm starting to desespear ... or being angry, maybe both ^^

Cheers
Alex

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 03:10:17 PM »
it looks pretty similar to mine. I'm using a western digital.

I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline blobrana

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 04:18:13 PM »
Hum,
It should work...

So, open an Amiga File Manager and try to find the HD, and the files on it...

Perhaps that may see it...

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 07:57:09 PM »
Well it doesnt
Good think of the day is that with your post (blobrana) i discovered directory opus for pc, and it's great ! ^^

So i would need to install a basic workbench on my PC then use various amiga utilities to try to access my amiga HD.  Problem is that i don't have anymore the amiga workbench disks ... i just searched and found one disk for workbench 1.3.2

It's anyway strange, I wouldnt like to do that way.  I spent 2h searhcing for a windows utility which could make a total bytes by bytes clone of my amiga HD.  I tested almost 10 software, no one does it !  More than 3/4 of them only list drives or partitions recognized by windows, one list me the quantum but do not propose me to save the disk, and last one make the operation, but told me the disk is empty, so the backup/clone file it created was empty ...  

Don't know what else to do now, nothing seems to work.

To sum up how i see to solve the problem :
- Do "what i don't know" to make my partitions see by UAE and problem should be solved
- Use ADFOpus (http://adfopus.sourceforge.net/) which could maybe save me.  but it's based on the adflib and it's "not" working with the last version i can download here (http://lclevy.club.fr/adflib/adflib.html), at least for me.
- Make a complete clone of my amiga HD in a file on my PC and open it with UAE, hoping that then the application will see the partitions

If you all abandon to help on this case, i would understand

Cheers
Alex

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 04:12:17 AM »
well ... im totally disgusted ...
i boot on my amiga with the HD and used an old version of hd toolbox

I had a scsi HD with squirrel defined, but not connected (since a while).  But the HD quantum wasnt defined, so, I clic on add new HD, he read the HD infos, then, I had the option to save them to the disk.  I tought this was maybe what was missing for UAE to read the HD, so i clicked on the button, then, reboot of my amiga and ... not a dos disk ....

if someone got a floppy disk image bootable on an amiga1200 that i could create with my pc (dunno how my pc could write a 880ko amiga format disk but maybe you know ?) i would be ...no pleased but saved.  I have all my writings on my amiga, i made backup but my last ones are still on the HD

Didnt thought it could have been such a pain to make UAE working ...

Offline Thomas

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 02:18:53 PM »
From your last two posts I'd rather think it's a mater of stupid-user-sitting-behind-the-keyboard than UAE being too complicated. (Don't be angry, it's meant as a joke).

However, somehow the partition table on your Quantum got damaged, making the partitions invisible by both WinUAE and the real Amiga. Then with HDToolbox you gave it the final shot by overwriting the remaining rest of the partition table.

Tools like RDB-Salv or RDBRecov will allow you to recover the partitions. Unfortunately there is no way to create an Amiga floppy disk without being able to boot the Amiga be cause the PC cannot write Amiga disks.

If you have a Kickstart file for WinUAE I could create a bootable ADF with the needed tools on it, so you can recover the data with WinUAE.

Bye,
Thomas