Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Devil made me do IT!  (Read 3058 times)

Description:

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
Re: The Devil made me do IT!
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 23, 2005, 04:48:23 PM »
I don't think you can return your M$ product as long as you have opened it (i was reseller in time...).

So my choice for half the price, you could have got a PPC card for a A1200/A4000 ( 250/400 $) or a 2nd hand Pegasos 1 G3 + ram (-$200), and for the games buy a PSP with a 1Gb MStick ($250) to download games, movies, music, amiga emulator (already avaible),... for free
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2005, 06:11:54 PM »
Okay first of all I am having a hard time believing that you are having a problem with XP 64-bit..

1) You have an NFORCE motherboard, all you have to do is download the unified Nforce 3 or 4 (depending on your board) driver set at Nvidia.com for xp x64 edition. All the drivers except for the video driver and maybe wireless that you ever will need for that board including sound is rolled up in that driver package (have you tried the on-motherboard sound that comes with all nforce boards? it's probably better than that audigy 2 card. If you really have to have an Audigy 2 card, there is a working 64 bit driver on for the audigy 2 card on creative labs web site.

I also saw an exciting thing at best buy yesterday an "Audigy 4 card" in a box coming complete with a 64-bit driver..

2) if you have a cable modem and XP 64-bit simply plug it into the ETHERNET cable in your motherboard's network connector that comes built-in. You won't need drivers then for it and it will function perfectly like a network card and you will get faster speeds than thru the USB.

3) if you need ANY 64-bit drivers or help please ask me.. I am running Amiga Forever on both a 64 bit XP and a Windows Vista Beta 1 install and it works great on both..

There is no reason to hate Windows here. You have a high performance computer here with great software all you need to do is ask the right people the right questions about it and you will be working like a pro very quickly.. The trick with 64 bit windows is just to go out and download the 64-bit drivers. When it first came out they weren't readily available. That is not the case any longer.. Even RAID drivers and obscure tv card drivers are showing up..

Plus your son with love the 64-bit performance with both direct x 9c and Open GL..  He might be a little bit young for it but Far Cry is an awesome game just for 64-bit windows..

I asked the custodian/author of WinUAE if they are doing a 64-bit version of the emulator. Last I heard they were looking into it..

So please don't dump 64-bit windows, without trying it a little more, if you make an effort just to aquire the right drivers you will get about a 30% increase in performance on your box..

I won't even talk about how kick ass vista is on it :-)

Please feel free to email me about any questions regarding sound or anything.. I am an expert on this platform..

P.S. and to return fire at the PPC guy who thinks he could have bought something at half the price, well you get what you pay for, half the price and half the performance.. Also, I use WinUAE/Amiga forever all of the time and I am very happy with the performance of the machine as an amiga, in fact I'd race that PPC machine anyday as I have a faster machine even thru emulation and more stuff would run from the classic platform.

I also own a PSP the games aren't that great and there is not that many available. I rarely touch it, plus how great would UAE be with it without a keyboard?? Please folks! I am thinking about putting the PSP on ebay..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2005, 11:54:08 PM »
@DonnyEMU,

I know the 64bit XP Pro is faster, but since this machine is primarily for my 12 year old son, I think the older, more mature regular XP Pro would have been a better choice.  I have not physically moved the computer from it's original build location to my son's desk where an Internet connection is available yet.  I will do so as soon as I can lift it or have someone else move it (back trouble).  I know that most of the drivers I need will probably be available, but think that the XP64 is going to be more work for a while and the problems are going to be over my son's head and maybe over mine.  I use a Mac primarily and only use Windows at work where there is a large I.T. department to fix any problems.

Thanks for the offer to help, I will take you up on that offer in PM if I am still having trouble after I download the drivers.

As for PPC, that may be an option that I would consider for myself, but not a machine for my son, his games and his school work.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 12:09:05 AM »
It's also an illegal download portal. Check it often or end up in jail! ;-)
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2005, 09:52:18 AM »
 :lol:
UAE for PSP
I agree that for 3D gaming PC are better.
For the rest it is up to you !
For the wordprocessing, you have Papirus (68k/PPC).
For the photo, there is Photogenics (68k/PPC).
You want an equivalent and compatible app of PowerPoint ? there is Holywood (68k/PPC).
You want Quake3 ? you need a PPC with MOrphOS, but a AOS4 is nearly finished  :-P .
You want to surf on the net without hack, spyware, virus, adware....  you have Voyager, IBrowse, Aweb ... (68k/PPC).
You want to do C/C++ and much more ? there is StormC, GCC,...
You need video tools ? Ok, turn on Linux (68k/PPC).
You want to use MAC tools/programms/games ? there is Mac-On-Linux (PPC only ??)
You need to print -> Turboprint (68k/PPC), or under Linux
You need to scan -> FXScan (68k/PPC), or under Linux
You need an emulator for old games ? take a look at amidog.se site :lol:
And so on  ....

There is always an Amiga solution just take the time to look  :-)  :lol:  
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 01:06:50 AM »
This post is coming from my Son's new XP x64 computer!  All drivers found and installed, just waiting for AF 2005 to arrive so I can load a bunch of Amiga software and test it out.  The next hardware addition will be a Catweazle PCI card and a FDD for Amiga only use (I decided not to include a FDD in the original build for Win XP).  I guess I'll install the free games that came bundled with the MB and GPU, Thief, Far Cry and Joint Operations - Typhoon Rising, to test the CPU & GPU performance while we are waiting for AF 2005 to arrive.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)