Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS 4.0 on WinUAE possible?  (Read 3383 times)

Description:

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
Re: OS 4.0 on WinUAE possible?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 18, 2005, 07:00:02 PM »
by mdma on 2005/4/18 20:47:25
Don't you mean Pegasos emulator?

A WinUAE-PPC should be able to run any Amiga-PPC OS including MorphOS 0.4, which runs quite nicely on my classic by the way.

Anyway, why do you feel the need to start trolling about MorphOS on a thread about the possiblity of UAE getting PPC-JIT functionality? Whats wrong with you?

I read that the thread is called "OS 4.0 on WinUAE possible?" and stated an opinion that MorphOS on WinUAE (or WinUME) is more likely, because it doesn't have the A1 dongle (as they call it), and uses open firmware. What's wrong in this?

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2005, 07:13:52 PM »
What's wrong in this?

It's the way you said it.

By the claims of the MorphOS advocates, MorphOS is better, have bigger software base, it's tied to a open firmware (easier to emulate), have more features, higher stability, better look, stronger user base, friendly community, better developers, OS4Emu, and everything nice.

IMHO The tone was intentionally aggressive, and grammatically constructed to cause a firy responses.

If you said "Wouldn't it be cool if a UAE-PPC supported OS4 and MorphOS?" or something similarly worded, you know full well it wouldn't be as controversial and wouldn't have the possibility of starting up yet another childish "my dick is bigger than your dick" argument.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 07:27:53 PM »
All I can say is I'd like to pay around $100 for OS4 and run it emulated on my PC, rather than dump lots of cash for the real thing, which will just rob me of more desk space (I have three computers on my table as it is).

I don't care how fast it is so long as I can give it a test drive.  I'm more interested in making software than using it, anyway.

With that said, Hyperion wouldn't like it, and making a project work without official support is very painful.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2005, 07:37:21 PM »
MDMA:
here you are talking about morphos and bla bla and you dont even know about the morphos emulator for windows?..

its been known for ages..

anyway..

regarding topic of the thread:

NO, but sure if toni and bernie wants to kill of AmigaOS then sure, its just software and anything is possible to hack together.

now back to the pearpc discussion:

Pearpc running macosX on a 3ghz pentium is about as fast as a 700mhz powermac in terms of real use, somethings is faster and alot of things is alot slower but then again to people who use windows..everything else feels blazing fast.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2005, 07:38:21 PM »
by mdma on 2005/4/18 21:13:52

IMHO The tone was intentionally aggressive, and grammatically constructed to cause a firy responses.

If you said "Wouldn't it be cool if a UAE-PPC supported OS4 and MorphOS?" or something similarly worded, you know full well it wouldn't be as controversial and wouldn't have the possibility of starting up yet another childish "my dick is bigger than your dick" argument.

Grow up. These wars are over. Neither of the sides won. Both lost and there is no real winner.

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2005, 07:50:46 PM »

drHirudo wrote:
by mdma on 2005/4/18 21:13:52

Grow up. These wars are over. Neither of the sides won. Both lost and there is no real winner.

So stop bringing it up then.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »

lempkee wrote:
now back to the pearpc discussion:

Pearpc running macosX on a 3ghz pentium is about as fast as a 700mhz powermac in terms of real use, somethings is faster and alot of things is alot slower...

Yup, that about what I feel when I run PearPC on my 3Ghz P4... PEarPC doesn't emulate the OpenGL graphics card so all gfx function are dog slow as MacOSX relies on OpenGL.

I find PearPC quite a bit faster on my 2Ghz Athlon64 though... The Slowest part of the PPC emualtion is the MMU emulation which need to be completely rewritten, according to the Docs.

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2005, 07:26:28 AM »

You might be an Amiga,
or a simple calculator,
but sooner or later you dance with the emulator.

Offline stefcep

• Show only replies by stefcep
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2005, 12:26:22 PM »
Absolutely true.  The future of all computers is emulation

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2005, 02:30:27 PM »

swift240 wrote:
I never thought it would be possible for my teenage daughter to clean her room up, but something made it possible.

So the impossible can be made possible.

Careful! She's probably got herself a secret boyfriend, or something :-)
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

Offline JuvUK

• Show only replies by JuvUK
    • http://www.bobhoughtonferrari.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 08:22:46 PM »
ok here goes
into the breech dear friends!
   1st off people said the pc would never be able to emulate an amiga or a playstation or an n64 or a ps2, but now all except the ps2 run great on my lowly athlon and the ps2 isnt that far away now! so the answer is YES eventually os4 will run on an emulation.
   2nd without emulation the amiga would be in even worse shape than it is now! dont get me wrong i still love and spend money on my miggy but sometimes the pc emulates a miggy better and quicker than my real miggy eg my a1200 030 50mhz with 128mb ram does not run os3.9 as well as my pc does, but the pc does not run my older games as well as my miggy, except 3d games which the pc blows the miggy away (thanks i think to the geforce 256mb 5950) so be nice to emulators they are keeping the community alive!
Why does it always break?

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2005, 04:58:35 AM »
Too Right, JuvUK!

Its a simple matter of convenience!  

Most people have a PC sitting right there on the desk, it's only natural that as you first foray back into the Amiga world, you'd go and download a -free- application to revive some of thos good ole' Amiga memeories.  

And who knows where that might lead?

The only problem I see is, no-one has jumped on the opportunity of cashing-in on all those WinUAE users, if and when they want to take the hobby a bit further.  As it is there are only a couple choices:

-Buy a classic machine and relive what you already can with WnUAE.

-Buy one of the expensive new machines and experience the world of beta testing.

What happened to;

-Buy an inexpensive new version of the OS that will run on your PC?

-Buy an inexpensive remake of classic hardware (like those console remakes by Radica Games; http://www.radicagames.com/index.cfm?event=showProdDetail&id=85&categoryId=9 )?

-Buy nostalgia-marketed devices, such as Amiga branded MP3 players, memory sticks, ect?

-Buy (cheap) ADF's from a website with one-big-killer-list of licenced/regestered Amiga games, say 20-50 cents a pop?

---

As it is, once they tire of WinUAE, most people put those Amiga memories away again and get on with life.  It seems like a missed opportunity to me...

ps: OS4EMU v1.1 has been released
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9009