Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Want the ultimate Amiga game machine?  (Read 3778 times)

Description:

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: Want the ultimate Amiga game machine?
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 04:39:55 PM »
Well, I'm not the piracy patrol.  What you do on your time is your business, what I do on mine, is my business.  I'll police AO for pirate links etc but I'm not one to tell someone not to do something if its not on AO.  We're all adults here, or so I seem to think, and you should know whats right and whats wrong.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline EzdineG

• Show only replies by EzdineG
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 05:42:18 PM »
TheMagicM wrote:  Well, I'm not the piracy patrol.....

Agreed!  

These "that's illegal!" retorts are becoming irritating.  I didn't see any links or references to illegal images or cursing, trolling, etc. going on in this thread, nor did I see an offer by the original poster to sell media with copyrighted material on it.  The guy was simply pointing out what YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR XBOX in regards to Amiga emulation if you so chose to.

Why all the negativity?  We need moderators to police the forums of inappropriate content, not morality.  THAT is someone else's job.

Thx

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 05:44:56 PM »
I wouldn't expect this from a moderator. You should be ashamed. Piracy is piracy no matter how much you think it doesn't hurt.

Who exactly is hurt by me downloading a game that was discontinued 10-20 ago by a company that no longer exists?? The only way to preserve this games then, is by actually pirating as you call it, since there is no new copies being made, no one has them left in stocks and so on...

I think there is a huge difference between pirating new software and old abandonware.

Making money on selling piracy on the other hand, that is wrong no matter how old the software is.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 05:48:57 PM »

Tomas wrote:
Making money on selling piracy on the other hand, that is wrong no matter how old the software is.

Exactly. If any money is made, that should go to the developers of the software. The whole idea that someone can make money selling someone else's work, when they aren't getting a penny is what bother's me.
I like Amigas

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 07:01:19 PM »
It really irritates me when people still harp about piracy on the Amiga.  Who freakin cares!  Commodore went bust in 1994, and the classic Amiga is dead from a commercial standpoint.  It is a decade later and people still throwing fits.  Unless a game was released recently, don't worry about someone downloading a 15-20 year old program from a company who doesn't care anyway or is not even around!  I don't get it.  Thank goodness to sites like BTTR, otherwise any games downloaded would be considered "pirating" to some people.  Back to the Roots rocks and I hope they keep getting authors approvals to release more games.
I recently got into it with some ahole on usenet because I was requesting a copy of a game that I own, but the disk was bad.  I wanted to recopy the game to my original disk.  He called me a pirate.  If that is pirating then so be it.  Get over it.

Sorry for venting!  Woot!

:banana:
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 08:14:30 PM »
I like my XBox, Miday Treasures is great!  Also Halo (2 when I get it), Project Gotham 2, and a couple of others.  But I just have no impetus to bother with getting it to emulate something else ... dunno why.

As for piracy, very old games might not be a big deal, but most places outside of BTTR also hock much more recent stuff that people are trying to sell commercially.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 08:28:41 PM »
@Holly

Get Halo 2.  I just got it yesterday and it's great.  I might have to sign up for Xbox Live now to try the multiplayer.  (There are games on XBLink, etc. but I've heard the Live scene is better).

@All

I wasn't commenting on just Amiga piracy, but the piracy of arcade game roms, ie. MAME roms.  There are few good games worth playing that aren't under copyright (ie. anything Capcom, Sega, Midway, Nintendo, etc.).

This isn't a question of morality, it's a question of legality.  And, while I do agree that a moderator should not be busy "policing" this stuff.  I feel they shouldn't openly support it.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 09:31:28 PM »
it's on my christmas list :D
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 09:33:49 PM »
You're putting words in my mouth.  I said "what you do on your time is your business", "just dont post the URL on AO".  I can quote my actual post if it will help.    MAME, I could care less about it, Nintendo, Sega etc.  
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 11:01:25 PM »
@everyone

I dont care if Microsoft makes and X-Box that travels through  Time!

I still wont give in to the Dark Side

Why?  because if Amiga does ever return.I want to invest my money in what I know to be right!  and thats the Amiga concept..............and the Amiga Operating system.

I simply do not believe that a company like Microsoft should be dominating the PC world or the Game console world for that Matter...........at least not when something like AmigaOS exists.

Amiga does it better!

I do examine X-Boxes and keep my eyes on what the world is doing...........doesnt mean I desire it or have to dove into it.

The X-Box is awesome indeed...better gfx than the PS2.................its the first thing Microsoft has done right.............but my Money will not go to them any time soon as I want a Micro A1. If you want a game consle.get the PS2 as it oustells the XBox with 70 Million PS2 units to only 10 Million X-Boxes.plus PS2 can run PSONE games...........and the New PS3 will run all 3!!

Hopefully some day there will be an Amiga Super Console that will crush all others for the next 10 years!

For now.as far as games are concerned......I am having serious fun with My hooked up CD32/SX32 pro with 40 gig HD with about 200 games or more on the HD......and more coming!
 Not t mention running Audio CD's, Karaoke CD's, CD32 CD games.and CDTV games.

Will be burning DVD's and CD-Rs soon, if I find a good laptop DVD drive.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 02:17:59 AM »
You can get Linux kits for PS2s also, those are legal, and I imagine any Linux port of said emulators is quite legal, but yeah, Xbox has somewhat better gfx, mind you if you're playing a game from '89 does that really even matter?
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline adolescent

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 02:26:56 AM »
Linux kits for the PS2 are NLA.   Emulators exist, but are not as advanced as the ones for Xbox.  (largely due to the fact that the Xbox is PC based.)

Offline CatHerderTopic starter

• Show only replies by CatHerder
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2004, 02:48:38 AM »

TheMagicM wrote:
thats a pretty good idea (XBox thing).  As for using a emulator on a Xbox.. if you really (and i mean really) cared about being legal..you dont have to own a Amiga to emulate it.. just spend $5-$10 on a 1.3 ROM that way you can officially own a 1.3 rom image.  I played around with the Dreamcast version of UAE..pretty cool stuff.  When it comes to old software, I'm probably almost non-caring about piracy.  (just dont post a link here! LOL)  I downloaded I think almost every game from back2roots.. yep.  @ work, btw. LOL.  Then after buying a few used Amiga's they come with non-original software on top of that.  oh well.

Yeah I sure thought so too. I will still put together my comprehensive emulating an Amiga (and CD32) on the XBox faq because I'm sure there are plenty of people here and in the Amiga community who would be happy to have it.

And if you want legal, I mean "Amiga legal", check out this amiga swag. Now I ask ya, can I emulate an Amiga now, or do I need to buy some more ROMS? (This doesn't include the 14 sets of 3.0, eleven 2.04, four 2.05, twenty 1.3, six 1.2 ROMS in my workbench drawer either) and it doesn't show the A1000 or the 9 A4000's clearly in the background. (note: the 4000's are all gone, except for 4 that are green screen and have yet to be shipped off to get repaired either by Amiga.fr or somebody in North America if anyone knows of anyone that still does this). I also have 7 Amiga 1200 motherboards that I have to get around to testing, and I have 5 Amiga 1200's with various issues that I need to one day fix or sell as-is...  

I think there's 14 Amigas in these photos, and there's another 20+ in the boxes. I wont even attempt to list the 2,000+ boxed/unopened Amiga retail game packages I have. Hell, when I owned Amigas as my main computers (yes, I owned 11 different Amigas between 85 and 94, I've personally owned every single Amiga model except for the A1500 and A4000T -- and I currently own the only A2200 in existence) I also purchased over 4,000 peices of software -- I guarantee NOBODY in this forum can say the same.

Can I emulate the Amiga now sir? Can I? Pretty please?

I'm not even going to get into discussing the MAME sets that are available (8 full DVD-R zips currently). I'm more than happy to say "yes, it's under 5000 roms - I don't know what I'm talking about" and be done with it. I also won't worry about the 37,000+ Amiga files out there (because yes, some of them are not freely available - but piles and piles certainly are).

In anycase, back to my original post... (sorry for going off on a rant tangent there)

The XBox rocks for emulating game machines and Amigas (and CD32s too!), and if anyone thinks they're hurting Microsoft in any way shape or form by not owning one and using it to emulate 10 different game machines (plus play XBox games) they're delusional. MS sells them for under $200 and has a COST OF PRODUCTION of over $400 per unit. It's a lost litre - they are taking market share from Sony. Look how poorly they did against Netscape using the same strategy.

[color=000099]CatHerder[/color][/i]
Go Graphical Website Design is what I do.
My eBay World <- Amiga swag, if any.

Offline adolescent

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2004, 03:45:00 AM »

CatHerder wrote:
Can I emulate the Amiga now sir? Can I? Pretty please?

I never said you couldn't. I simply commented on the legality of what you were suggesting.  I'd still recommend a real Amiga over an emulator.

Nice pics of your stockpile.

And thanks for admitting you were wrong about the MAME roms.

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2004, 04:33:33 AM »
@CatHerder

Damn I must say you have me beat! ;)  I own all Amiga models except for CDTV, and the A4000T.  I have four A4000 also and sent one off the amiga.fr for repairs.  But it seems their site is down?

Anyway do you have a A3000T manual for sale?  I am after one.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline CatHerderTopic starter

• Show only replies by CatHerder
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 13, 2004, 08:02:25 AM »

TjLaZer wrote:
@CatHerder

Damn I must say you have me beat! ;)  I own all Amiga models except for CDTV, and the A4000T.  I have four A4000 also and sent one off the amiga.fr for repairs.  But it seems their site is down?

Anyway do you have a A3000T manual for sale?  I am after one.

Hey I might be able to fix your CDTV issue. Let me check... ;)

And yes, I do have an A3000T manual - they're in pretty good shape.

I was going to list it on eBay tomorrow, but what you think it's worth? I have no clue. If you give me your state and zip I can tell you what it would cost to ship the above (or just the first 2 manuals if you prefer) to you.

I also have a working A3000T-040 here, but it has no powersupply - I tested it with the other 3000T-040 I sold on eBay, then bought a 3000T power supply from Centsible which arrived dead - returned it and they never would answer my emails, send me a new PS, give me a store credit, tell me to bugger off, or anything... I ended up being out $80 for the PS, and $25 * 2 for the shipping both ways.

To add insult to injury, 2 months later they listed another 3000T PS on their site and sold it! Grr...

Centsible has lost out on about $2000 worth of purchases from me in the past year and a half because of that - and I tell everyone who asks me that they should buy from anywhere besides them.

Whoops there I go off on a rant again. :)

Lemme know if the above manuals are of interest to you. I also have the WB2.1 manuals that come with it, but I think it would just be a waste of money to ship them as well.

[color=000099]CatHerder[/color][/i]
Go Graphical Website Design is what I do.
My eBay World <- Amiga swag, if any.