Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: REBOL 3 Released for AmigaOS  (Read 14352 times)

Description:

Offline ssolieTopic starter

• Show only replies by ssolie
    • http://www.solie.ca/
REBOL 3 Released for AmigaOS
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »
REBOL 3 has just been released for the AmigaOS 4.1 and can be downloaded from the alpha downloads section.

REBOL 3 is currently in alpha and so is the Amiga version. Please read the documentation on the REBOL site for more information.

For those without AmigaOS you can also try REBOL 3 on a variety of other platforms or even directly on the web.

Note that a Host-Kit for REBOL 3 is still in development which will greatly extend what can be done with REBOL on the Amiga so stay tuned.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
Re: REBOL 3 Released for AmigaOS
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:59:01 PM »
Very good news !
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:23 PM »
That was unexpected.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline VingtTrois

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by VingtTrois
    • http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/6006/1_2316_My_AMIGA_Collection_Sept2010.jpg
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:57:40 PM »
Right now, the news about&around AMIGA are very interesting. However, we will not complain. Thank you to all those involved in this adventure.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:09:44 PM by VingtTrois »
-A3K(T)040@35MHz/78MB/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/PICASSO II/GVP IO/A2088XT/DENEB/HDD18GB
-A3K(D)030@25MHz/134MB RAM/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/RETINA Z2/OKTAGON 2008/VLAB YC/MIDI/DKB3128/HDD18GB
-A2K/ROM 1.3-3.1/2MBCHIP/8MB/A2091/OKTAGON 2008/A2058/TANDEM IDE/FlickerFixer-Scandoubler/Genlock
-A1200/KS3.1/2MB+9MB/CF2GB A1200[/

Offline Minuous

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 04:43:33 AM »

Offline VingtTrois

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by VingtTrois
    • http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/6006/1_2316_My_AMIGA_Collection_Sept2010.jpg
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 05:04:59 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;587121
OS3.x version is at http://www.rebol.com/downloads/core012.lha

Perhaps OS2.x/3.x!
"REBOL /Core 2.5.0.1.2 / This program requires Kickstart 2.04 or higher"
-A3K(T)040@35MHz/78MB/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/PICASSO II/GVP IO/A2088XT/DENEB/HDD18GB
-A3K(D)030@25MHz/134MB RAM/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/RETINA Z2/OKTAGON 2008/VLAB YC/MIDI/DKB3128/HDD18GB
-A2K/ROM 1.3-3.1/2MBCHIP/8MB/A2091/OKTAGON 2008/A2058/TANDEM IDE/FlickerFixer-Scandoubler/Genlock
-A1200/KS3.1/2MB+9MB/CF2GB A1200[/

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:54:38 AM »
Minuous: Thanks for the link! :afro:

And, my 700th post... :roflmao:
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline ssolieTopic starter

• Show only replies by ssolie
    • http://www.solie.ca/
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
Quote from: Minuous;587121
OS3.x version is at http://www.rebol.com/downloads/core012.lha

REBOL 3 is not ported to AmigaOS 3.x yet. It currently only runs on AmigaOS 4.1.

REBOL 3 is also available for a variety of non-Amiga platforms like Windows, Linux and Mac OS. You can also try REBOL 3 directly from the web. Please visit the links in my news item for more information.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:37:04 AM »
I gather that a few of the A.org members have been tinkering with Rebol, so I figure posting this here is valid.

I've been spending quite a bit of time reading over the material available over on rebol.com and I've got to say some of it makes sense to me and I can certainly see potential. I feel that Carl makes good points about just how complicated and overblown it has become to do what should be relatively simple things in the development world.

However, some of it is not clear to me. For example...

1. What does Rebol 3 bring to the table in terms of aiding the user (as opposed to the developer) that Rebol 2 did not?

2. Can Rebol be used in implementing a Website? i.e. in other words can it be used as an analog of jsp pages or perhaps similar to Javascript?

3. Let's say you have Rebol core running on a server, can it actually serve up dynamic content?

4. If it is possible to use Rebol in developing dynamic content, such as an interactive form tied to a database, does there have to be an instance of Rebol View on the client or is a browser plug in required or is the dynamic content presented to the client browser in such a way that nothing else is needed beyond Rebol core residing on the server?

Thanks in Advance,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:21 AM »
Yes rebol can be used to script web pages, like jsp, asp.

And that, is primarily where it is used, if you ask me.

There really isn't much point to rebol for generic application development.

What's odd about Rebol is a few years ago, it supported almost every platform available - and that wasn't really important because everyone was using Windows.

Now, we have this real split in the marketplace, where some are using Android, some using iOS, some using Blackberry, some using WinMo - on their Smartphones, and soon, on their tablets....

and yet now Rebol punks out and doesn't support any of those devices.

Now I've been an it professional for a couple decades now, I know why it would be difficult to support a platform, when well...Apple is blocking you.   Google maintains control over Android too, despite the impression of being so open.

But - that's the challenge in this world...unfortunately Rebol doesn't solve too many problems, and I love scripting languages, and I agree with a lot of Carl's rhetoric, I just don't believe he's found any great answers.

Even the bill for the old Rebol of being a dialecting language was a bit of a joke, because he  didn't even  understand people speak different languages (talking about spoken languages and their intersection with programming languages)....what's the point in creating dialects, and missing the big picture about differing languages all together.

But I digress....that dialecting stuff isn't even mentioned a lot anymore, so we can move on from that.

Too bad about Rebol, but without support for the hot platforms, I'll have to pass.

Offline AmigaEd

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 12:25:47 AM »
Quote from: MarkTime;587606

Why is that? Is it simply from the standpoint that there are other tools available which support more platforms? I might agree with that in principle, but I also do like what it seems you can do with Rebol with very little code. I can see uses for this within my industry.

Now, we have this real split in the marketplace, where some are using Android, some using iOS, some using Blackberry, some using WinMo - on their Smartphones, and soon, on their tablets....

When I first started looking at Rebol, I was thinking that I might have an immediate business application for Rebol, but now after learning that it doesn't support the various mobile platforms, I'm probably going to have use something else. Most likely something much more costly and bloated.

..unfortunately Rebol doesn't solve too many problems, and I love scripting languages, and I agree with a lot of Carl's rhetoric, I just don't believe he's found any great answers.

I too gravitate towards the scripting languages. While I haven't looked at Rebol deeply enough, I do like what Rebol seems to present in terms of the amount of data that needs to be exchanged and the generally small amount of code required. I think Carl does deserve some credit for that.

I might try an experiment to reproduce some fairly complicated scripts I've written in other languages by using Rebol. I think this would give me a pretty good idea of Rebol's capabilities.

To be fair to Rebol, I should also note that my most used scripting language doesn't support anything other than Windows.

but without support for the hot platforms, I'll have to pass.

It's been difficult over the years, but honestly, I'm glad that I didn't take this approach with the Amiga. If I had, I would have missed out on a lot of fun and learning.

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline eb15

• Show only replies by eb15
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »
> 1. What does Rebol 3 bring to the table in terms of aiding the user (as opposed to the developer) that Rebol 2 did not?

Rebol3:  Unicode compatibility and the entire graphics/gui subsystem implementation were the major changes from version 2.  Don't know how complete the OS4.1 version is.  GUI was windows only for a while.

Rebol3 was still under much development last time I looked into it.

Offline AmigaEd

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 12:25:55 AM »
Quote from: eb15;587984
>Rebol3 was still under much development last time I looked into it.

I've been playing with it a bit, it looks like the Win version on Rebol 3 is still an Alpha release and I think it only operates at the console level. No Gui yet. (If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.)

Rebol 2.7 View (the graphical version) seems to work nicely. I've been messing a bit with it, but haven't had a chance to dig too deep as I'm swamped with other projects.

Regards,
AmigaEd

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline henrikmk

• Show only replies by henrikmk
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »
Yes rebol can be used to script web pages, like jsp, asp.

And that, is primarily where it is used, if you ask me.

Web projects may be the most visible ones, such as Cheyenne server and QTask, but they are far from the only ones.

Actually that is the whole point of REBOL and I make my money today because I do generic application development in REBOL.

The generic design of REBOL allows it to work on any task, except for high performance calculations, where you would use extensions written in C or other high performance language.
It's also not likely that you would write an operating system in REBOL, but REBOL 3's modular design allows it to sit in more places, such as directly on top of a kernel, which is to become the Wildman project at some time in the future.

What's odd about Rebol is a few years ago, it supported almost every platform available - and that wasn't really important because everyone was using Windows.

The problem was that Carl Sassenrath had set up a development model that dictated that every piece of code, documentation and also maintenance task had to be done and checked by himself. Hence, development slowed to a crawl. The REBOL 3 development model solved this 3 years ago by making the kernel smaller and peripheral code (the hostkit, i.e. how the kernel talks with the OS) was open sourced.

Time limitations and also focus on getting the REBOL 3 core completed. It's very complex and a huge amount of work. But the REBOL 3 hostkit already runs on different OSes now, as you can see, and the role of porting is now in the hands of 3rd party developers, where it should occur.

Now I've been an it professional for a couple decades now, I know why it would be difficult to support a platform, when well...Apple is blocking you.   Google maintains control over Android too, despite the impression of being so open.

But - that's the challenge in this world...unfortunately Rebol doesn't solve too many problems, and I love scripting languages, and I agree with a lot of Carl's rhetoric, I just don't believe he's found any great answers.

Even the bill for the old Rebol of being a dialecting language was a bit of a joke, because he  didn't even  understand people speak different languages (talking about spoken languages and their intersection with programming languages)....what's the point in creating dialects, and missing the big picture about differing languages all together.

The point of dialects is not to make something that just is different from the syntax of the language itself for fun. It's to allow a different type of express-ability to simplify what it is you want to do without specifically writing an API. Dialects is something that is not very important in other languages, thus they are either misunderstood or ignored.

Dialects allow greater express-ability and coupling dialects with 56 datatypes, you can express and parse meaningful data in a wholly different way than you would otherwise be able to, when using the standard syntax alone.

But I digress....that dialecting stuff isn't even mentioned a lot anymore, so we can move on from that.

Actually no. Dialecting is one of the big reasons to use REBOL and REBOL 3 extends this a great deal with improved parsing and more dialects.

Without dialects, half of REBOL's design philosophy goes out the window, most of my programs wouldn't work, so we can most certainly not move on from dialects. :-)

Offline henrikmk

• Show only replies by henrikmk
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 09:17:55 AM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;588073
I've been playing with it a bit, it looks like the Win version on Rebol 3 is still an Alpha release and I think it only operates at the console level. No Gui yet. (If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.)

Rebol 2.7 View (the graphical version) seems to work nicely. I've been messing a bit with it, but haven't had a chance to dig too deep as I'm swamped with other projects.

Regards,
AmigaEd

The windows version is currently the primary platform for REBOL 3 testing, simply because it has the most completed parts. The development is largely split in:

1. Core work (language, booting, modules, extensions), which is done by Carl and expert helpers.
2. The hostkit, which is Carl and the community of a few expert developers (one is Steve Solie), to oversee porting of REBOL 3 to other platforms, while doing code auditing and design changes.
3. GUI work and graphics engine by a third party company, RM Asset, where I work. We want to use the GUI for building viable business applications, so it has to be much stronger than it was for REBOL 2.

The hostkit is what needs to be completed to allow the graphics engine to work on other platforms than Windows, so that's our next big step.