Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's baaaaack. WebOS  (Read 2865 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: It's baaaaack. WebOS
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »
like AmigaOS, I'm sure WebOS will live on in one form or another as it's still the best mobile OS out there hands down! since HP released it as Open Source Apple and Android have 'borrowed' (cough stolen) various parts of WebOS into their own but still no comparison to the original.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:43:54 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;764159
as it's still the best mobile OS out there hands down!

I don't know. I am smitten with the QNX powered BB10 OS ;) tried many different Mobile OS's over the years and BB10 seems to click for me.

But I agree that WebOS was powerful. I did like it when I first tried it on a Palm Pre.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:08:45 AM »
WEbos is awesome! I have a Palm Pre 2 hacked with the comms board from a Sprint Palm Pre so I can run it on sprint network. I love it and it has a built in hot spot app for free!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;764182
I love it and it has a built in hot spot app for free!

Not sure what you mean here, but if it is the possibility to start your own WLAN, thats just a fingertip on any smartphone these days.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;764199
Not sure what you mean here, but if it is the possibility to start your own WLAN, thats just a fingertip on any smartphone these days.

Actually, thanks to the barbaric American cellular service providers, it's still somewhat uncommon over here. They charge an arm and a leg for it, too.

When I was choosing my first smartphone, my choice came down to iPhone or webOS. I did ultimately go with the iPhone, which proved to be a good choice for the commercial longevity of my platform. But after webOS melted down, I was able to pick up a few devices on the cheap to play around with. The UI is incredibly clever, and the Synergy connectors are brilliant - sort of like Datatypes for communications. i.e., no need for separate clients for all your various providers - just get a Synergy connector and then your generic programs (email, chat, video call, filesystem, etc.) will all work.

Everyone said the webOS phone hardware was underpowered. That may be partially true, but I think performance could have been vastly improved if they had been able to tighten up their code. I hope the TV line is successful enough for them to try a phone again - it looks like things have gotten much slicker in the intervening years. I'd get one of the televisions, but I just bought a TV a few years ago, and it'll probably be at least another 5 before I'd consider replacing it.

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
The Pre 3 which was never officially released and was a victim of the meltdown was much closer in performance and capability of the iPhone. screen size was larger, processor was faster and it felt really well in the hand. I still have mine. Was an awesome phone, awesome Operating System, owned by a melting down company and now Apple is free to dredge its advances and try to shoehorn them into iOS. Then they will probably sue other companies who do the same.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;764200
Actually, thanks to the barbaric American cellular service providers, it's still somewhat uncommon over here. They charge an arm and a leg for it, too.

Nah, thats just because you rent your smartphones over there instead of just buying them.

Must admit I have no idea wether that option would also be disabled if had "bought" the iPhone at a provider.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
7. Blame someone else

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;764169
I don't know. I am smitten with the QNX powered BB10 OS ;) tried many different Mobile OS's over the years and BB10 seems to click for me.

But I agree that WebOS was powerful. I did like it when I first tried it on a Palm Pre.

I theory I should be getting BB10 phone from work.  They either do that or allow me to pay the difference if I'd like to 'upgrade' to an iPhone.

Well, since I went from MeeGo to my Galaxy Note 3 (still missing using my MeeGo), I figured now is my chance to try a BB10 phone.  Never have been interested in an iOS based device.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;764219
I theory I should be getting BB10 phone from work.  They either do that or allow me to pay the difference if I'd like to 'upgrade' to an iPhone.

Well, since I went from MeeGo to my Galaxy Note 3 (still missing using my MeeGo), I figured now is my chance to try a BB10 phone.  Never have been interested in an iOS based device.

slaapliedje

I don't mind iOS on ipods or ipads. But for some reason I don't get on with it as a phone. But BB10 is nice. Once you get accustomed to the swipe commands it's easy to navigate. The peek feature is handy.

My friend has still got his Palm Pre. So I am gonna get it off him and have a play. Wonder if his does the oreo twist thing.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;764204
Nah, thats just because you rent your smartphones over there instead of just buying them.

Not sure what this means.  I own my phone, don't have a contract.  All the phones my company owns, they own.  It's the carrier that charges (on average) $30 a month to activate wireless hotspot functionality over their networks.  There used to be apps/hacks to get around this (and it was free, before they realized they could start charging), but carriers have tightened down on it the past couple years.  Might still be do-able with jailbroken devices or pirate roms, etc., dunno.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;764159
like AmigaOS, I'm sure WebOS will live on in one form or another as it's still the best mobile OS out there hands down! since HP released it as Open Source Apple and Android have 'borrowed' (cough stolen) various parts of WebOS into their own but still no comparison to the original.

Stolen is a bit harsh in this case i think!

1) WebOS is based on WebKit , which is a fork  of KHTML and  KJS , originally part of the KDE toolkit. Based on your reckoning that would mean HP "stole" it as well. (I believe the original fork was from Apple) Now webkit is maintained by a consortium of various companies including Apple and Google.

2) HP Fired a ton of engineers a while back. A chunk of these were the engineers that were working on WebOS. This happened when HP ceased development of WebOS and open sourced it. Google hired the team , and allowed them to continue work on it.  I see that as a positive step in keeping WebOS alive .

Nick

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
@Old_Mike

My bad than, allways thought the carriers would cripple those devices before leasing them out, had no idea their were ways to determinate wether traffic comes from the phone itself or something tethered to it (and then bloacking that).

Also makes me wonder how magnetic and his Palm were getting around that by the means of a simple app.......

FYI : can tether as many devices as I want with my 9.95/month non-contract ;)
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
7. Blame someone else

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;764242

I sometimes wonder if it would be cheaper to get a European mobile provider and run in roaming mode from here in the US. Even with additional fees, I imagine it would still be pretty competitive on price. Seriously, the American carriers are absolutely awful. And it'll never change because they have near-monopoly power along with money and lobbyists infesting the political/regulatory environment. Sigh. Rant over.

Quote from: polyp2000;764241
2) HP Fired a ton of engineers a while back. A chunk of these were the engineers that were working on WebOS. This happened when HP ceased development of WebOS and open sourced it. Google hired the team , and allowed them to continue work on it.  I see that as a positive step in keeping WebOS alive .

Well, Google hired some of the engineers, who then incorporated some webOS-like concepts into Android. They weren't continuing work on webOS itself. But yes, it's good that those features are making their way into the wider market, because they really are excellent. iOS multitasking finally got less dumb with version 7!

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 03:53:51 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;764242

Also makes me wonder how magnetic and his Palm were getting around that by the means of a simple app.......

Kronos

To really make your head spin I use a hacked version of Verizon's mobile hotspot app on the Sprint Network! Check out webosinternals.org these guys are serious hackers. Thats why I love my Palm pre 2 (hacked) so much alot of cool stuff.

Not only this but in usa on SPrint i have the $80 all in unlimted plan so unlimted calls, txt, and data and free hotspot (most carriers charge over $25 a month Just for hot spot) I have the phone oc'd and its pretty fast. I love when my friends with iphone 5s ridicule me and then try my phone and go wow what is this?

In EU there are actually some ethics and morals for businesses unlike in usa where telcoms just rape us with support from their steak dinner eating friends @ FCC and in D.C.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs