Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore trademark has a new daddy  (Read 24171 times)

Description:

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
Re: Commodore trademark has a new daddy
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;673634
All this does not mean they can now go after Hyperion and Aeon again for use of the AmigaOne and AmigaOS names, can they?

tj

I shouldn't think so, logos form part of the settlement between Hyperion and Inc.
I'm not sure on A-eon, if they have acquired the AmigaOne name somehow from
Hyperion, are if it was transferred from Eyetec who were granted the original rights
from Ainc.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpO7kBm0mxM

The whole thing reminds me of this.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
Quote from: digitex;673599
[...] granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to [...] the BOING Ball

I'm not a native English speaker, so could you please clarify if you claim to have an exclusive license to use the Boingball image? That would directly contradict AInc's settlement with Hyperion, that's why I'm asking.

These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos.

AFAIK, neither the check mark nor the letter A are registered trademarks in the US or Europe - I was actively searching for registered Amiga related trademarks a while ago. Could you give us some serial no. or anything like that so we can check the registration in the USPTO database?

If they're not registered, any claims of ownership are on somewhat shacky ground IMHO. The italic "A" (I doubt you can actually protect that at all) hasn't been used commercially for fifteen years, the last commercial use of the checkmark was a decade ago (and if I don't tell you where it has been used, you'd never find out).

Offline number6

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;673664
I'm not a native English speaker, so could you please clarify if you claim to have an exclusive license to use the Boingball image? That would directly contradict AInc's settlement with Hyperion, that's why I'm asking.

AFAIK, neither the check mark nor the letter A are registered trademarks in the US or Europe - I was actively searching for registered Amiga related trademarks a while ago. Could you give us some serial no. or anything like that so we can check the registration in the USPTO database?

If they're not registered, any claims of ownership are on somewhat shacky ground IMHO. The italic "A" (I doubt you can actually protect that at all) hasn't been used commercially for fifteen years, the last commercial use of the checkmark was a decade ago (and if I don't tell you where it has been used, you'd never find out).

I commented on that here
Please read my interpretation and tell me if I'm wrong.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
I don't understand how someone can sell exclusive worldwide rights to something someone else already had been given rights to in a previous legal agreement, but then thats just the dirtball kind of thing we've got to expect from silly billy over at the joke of amiga inc. I guess he needed to do something because the sales of his snowman app (Their only product in HOW many years) have been slipping lately. :roflmao:

Also, what happened to their tablets? Their "SHOP" does not work for how long now. I guess they didn't have money to actually buy and rebrand those things.

Also...saying your buying NON amiga commodore ip is kind of strange. What do you then own? commodore pet,vic20, c64/65 and 128 basic roms? I suppose the commodore name and the right to use it for anything you want is worth something, but I can't imagine what pre-amiga commodore IP is worth.

Interesting... I hope they do something good with the name but given their track record so far, I'm not holding my breath.

Steven

Offline number6

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:31 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;673671

Also, what happened to their tablets? Their "SHOP" does not work for how long now. I guess they didn't have money to actually buy and rebrand those things.
Steven

somewhat newish info

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
Quote from: number6;673666

Please read my interpretation and tell me if I'm wrong.

I take it you're referring to the fact that the Boingball image is not registered anymore either. That's correct, but for the sake of simplicity (reregistering or even defending it without having it registered should be very easy, as it's still in commercial use) I decided to not mention that. Barry already has enough questions to answer.

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:18 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;673603
It's good that all the Commodore and Amiga branding is united under one roof again.....

.. as long as the names aren't just used to stick on generic PCs as leverage to sell machines anyway.

The wrong roof.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »
Quote from: number6;673674
somewhat newish info

Looks like some people got screwed over, a leopard doesn't change it's spots.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
Quote from: Delta;673653
So that's a big annoucement for them? ....ooooo...kaayy...  Now what?

No, this is not the big announcement.   Haters should rest up, they will need all their strength when the announcement hits.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 08:23:55 AM »
You mean another fantastic news like that deal with Disney ?

Or that fantastic 30.000.000$ advertising budget ?

Don't forget the 100.000++ NotC=64s that have been sold via major retail outlets !!

Or that fantastic Mint-Linux based Ski^H^H^H COS !!!!!!

Hanging on the tip of my chair.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 08:41:04 AM »
Quote from: dammy;673737
No, this is not the big announcement.   Haters should rest up, they will need all their strength when the announcement hits.

THE announcement...the worst kept secret in Amiga history.

Also you keep saying "haters" and it has never crossed your tiny, little mind that there are REASONS for that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:43:28 AM by TheDaddy »

Offline spirantho

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 09:06:26 AM »
Quote from: dammy;673737

Serioisly, and I mean this as genuine advice, you and other C=USA people would be very well advised to stop with the news of announcements. It's one thing to put out a bit of hype but going on and on about how there's going to be an announcement just gets everybody fed up and not interested.

You're getting a reputation for hyperbole much more than a reputation for products, is that really what you want?
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »
Quote from: dammy;673612
On Dec 22, 2011 Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc. signed a new contract granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP. These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos. Form factors include, but are not limited to Desktop, HTPC, Tower, AIO/ Keyboard etc.

This contract will run through Dec 31, 2018, with optional renewals. Additionally we have been granted the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP, in instances where we feel the trademark property has been either used in an unauthorized manner or in a form not allowed under current international and US law.

Bring more popcorn! :D

2012 will be the Year of the Amiga!

:lol:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline spirantho

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 09:28:38 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;673747
Bring more popcorn! :D

2012 will be the Year of the Amiga!

We need an official popcorn brand for A.org...

... then I can buy shares in them and get megarich! Muhahahahahaaa.....
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 31, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;673664

The statement is actually very specific. I highlighted the important part:

"On Dec 22, 2011 Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc. signed a new contract granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP.

In their settlement with Hyperion Entertainment, Amiga granted the opposing party the right to use the Boing Ball logo in conjuction with a particular software product.

"Within the framework of the settlement agreement Hyperion is granted an exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right to AmigaOS 3.1 in order to use, develop, modify, commercialize, distribute and market AmigaOS 4.x ... under the exclusive trademark "AmigaOS" (Amiga operating system) and using other associated trademarks (such as the "BoingBall" logo)."

AFAIK, neither the check mark nor the letter A are registered trademarks in the US or Europe - I was actively searching for registered Amiga related trademarks a while ago. (..)

If they're not registered, any claims of ownership are on somewhat shacky ground IMHO.

I am afraid your opinion on this legal matter is a bit on shaky ground :-)