Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Workbench 3.1 natural successor?  (Read 7574 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Re: The Workbench 3.1 natural successor?
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 26, 2010, 12:29:54 AM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;545126
Terrible? There's more work there doing stuff like disabling eyecandy bollocks and tweking it so it'll actually run at a usable speed on real hardware, than there is to work your way up from standard 3.1.

The exception to that is Cwb because that was made by someone you could describe as "sane".

Which environment are you talking about?

Amikit, yep you really need an '060 to make this shine.  And it doesn't look or feel like an Amiga.  But under WinUae its great and looks better than any Linux theme I've seen.

Amigsys and ClassicWB have versions optimised for whatever hardware you have.  I have a 2 meg version of classicwb and it flies on an A1200, and has most of the essentials covered.  

AIAB is great too on low end hardware

Really an '030 and some fast ram with classic wb will give you all the functionality of AmigaOS 3.5+, with all the patches that would take you a lot of time to get done yourself, and its faster.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:32:27 AM by stefcep2 »

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »
I already said "The exception to that is Cwb because that was made by someone you could  describe as "sane"."

So really, you're preaching to the converted. and I've seen a thread where somebody ran amikit on an 060 and it was balls slow, i'm talking whoops-windows-xp-sp3-on-pentium-133mhz-64mb slow.

Can amiga in a box even be downloaded any more? last I tried it was gone.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 11:13:51 AM »
Quote from: save2600;544470

OS3.9 is really nice - but in my experience and usage, I do not like running it on anything less than an 040. It felt pretty slow on my 40mhz 030 equipped A1200 when I had it and I recently installed 3.9 on my 25mhz A3000 - to which I quickly un-installed it and went back to 3.1.

Hmmmm - I mainly use OS 3.9 on my A4000PPC. On the 68060@50mHz the speed is quite acceptable, but this may be due to the fact that my harddrives are attached to the UW-SCSI host adapter.

Initially I had an HD attached to internal IDE and that way the system was not so responsive. So I switched to SCSI and disabled the IDE...

I also have an 40mhz 030 equipped A1200 with OS 3.9., but haven't used it for years. I can remember that it was of course slower than the A4k, but I would think dropping the IDE in favour of an SCSI host would most likely speed up the system equally.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline sim085

• Show only replies by sim085
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 12:28:28 PM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;544590
>aminet-install netsurf

I actually would love that idea!! wonder if it is possible to have sometime in the future. The only problem that I can see is that many of the install scripts would need to change. At least in order to be able to un-install what has been installed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:37:55 PM by sim085 »