Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Custom Chips on a PCI card  (Read 1500 times)

Description:

Custom Chips on a PCI card
« on: March 11, 2003, 04:05:03 PM »
I was wondering if it would be at all possible to put the ECS/AGA custom chips onto a pci card in a similar fashion to what the Hard SID / Catweasel MK3 have done for the c64 chips?

If it is possible, this would be excellent for both AROS/Amithlon/UAE and AOS4/Morphos.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Custom Chips on a PCI card
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 04:18:56 PM »
I'm sure it's possible. Wasn't there a project some years ago that would make an "Amiga on a PCI card"? You could perhaps use some FPGAs á la CommodoreOne (see http://c64upgra.de/c-one/ for more info).

But what would the benefit be? Would it be worth it? Don't you think it's time to move on?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 04:24:08 PM »
I think it would be worth it just for the "geek factor".  Ask a mountain climber why he climbs a mountain, and he'll say "becasuse it's there".

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 04:31:58 PM »
 :-)

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 04:39:57 PM »
Just done a quick google and turned up these links for the Siamese InsideOut PCI card.

http://amiga.emugaming.com/inside.html
http://www.micktinker.co.uk/inout.html

I'd buy one like a shot, f**k buying an A1/Peg!!! :)

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 04:54:46 PM »
That's the one I was talking about! :-)

I really thought that was an interesting idea at the time and I was prepeared to buy one. I waited and I waited. And then I waited some more. But nothing was ever released. The same story as many other "Amiga" products over the past years. :-(

But I'll tell you what - I'm not waiting anymore! :-D

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 04:59:55 PM »
Not waiting?  I can tell your not British then!!  It's in our blood to wait in line for absolutely everything, mostly trains and they are about as reliable as AInc! :)

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 05:06:31 PM »
that would have been a damn good idea... still would.. I'd buy one... I dont think you really even need a 68K on it now though... you could use pure emulation instead... and it would fly.

Offline Snuden

• Show only replies by Snuden
    • http://lightworkings.dk
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 05:16:38 PM »
I was wondering if it would be at all possible to put the ECS/AGA custom chips onto a pci card in a similar fashion to what the Hard SID / Catweasel MK3 have done for the c64 chips?

Yes, it would. But why?

I really can't see a need for such a card. It would be bloody expensive to develop and IMHO not many people would buy it as there really is no need for it. I wouldn't for sure.

If it is possible, this would be excellent for both AROS/Amithlon/UAE and AOS4/Morphos.

Again why? Neither OS4, MorphOS nor AROS needs it, and Amithlon/UAE is emulating the chipset in software. I'm not buying brand new PPC hardware anyway to run old aga apps.
Kind Regards

Morten Strårup

If you do things right, people won\\\'t be sure if you\\\'ve done anything at all.

Offline alx

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2003, 05:47:58 PM »
Wasn't someone doing a PCI card for the A1 that connected to an A1200 and gave you AGA?  I haven't heard anything for ages, though.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2003, 07:33:57 PM »
@alx
Escena was supposed to make that kind of connection board for Eyetech but it's not materialised nor there have been any ino of it in real long time. So most likely it's been abandoned.

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2003, 08:21:16 PM »
The A1200 on a PCI card was dropped because:

a) AmigaInc or whoever was owner of the Amiga IP at the time would not or could not secure an order of custom chipsets for this product.

b) A mass produced ATX motherboard with reliable Amiga emulation would effectively cost LESS than a small production run A1200-on-a-PCI-card.

(Brainstorming here.. )

You know, a new Amiga-like system with Custom chipset (3D graphics & surround sound audio, etc) on board is not impossible (just look at Sony Playstation I & II), its just that few companies have the money or the ability to take the risk. Of course, we would like to have existing chipset developers who want to be a part of a project like this to be welcome AND included. :-D

So far, Microsoft PocketPC (running windowsCE) is currently the only platform that Amiga-Anywhere (formerly known as AmigaDE) is available on . I have no idea if AmigaInc have signed an exclusive deal with Microsoft or not.