Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When Apple release the iBox games console  (Read 7790 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: When Apple release the iBox games console
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 11, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
I have to second everything LtPlay49 has said. Apple have given us a platform not seen since te Amiga/Atari days!

One and Two man coding teams can make a quick, fun, casual game and sell it to a market over 100million strong... This is basically a dream for me and quite a few others on this site (that I know of) who haven't enjoyed coding since the Amiga days!

-Edit- thanks LtPlay49! I hope to push out a few updates over the next few months, first I need to figure out xCode4 :lol:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:07:21 PM by bloodline »

Offline LtPlay49

• Show only replies by LtPlay49
    • http://www.deloading.com
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »
@bloodline

I use Unity 3D wich is the best tool for making games i ever used (and i had used a lot since the Amiga days ;-) ).

Congrats to using only xCode

It would be wonderful to have a Unity Compiler (mono required) for Amiga OS4/MorphOS or Aros. It's so sad to release games that could run on Amiga platforms but can't because of complicated porting...
Classic Amiga 1200, WinUAE, E-UAE, AROS
== iPhone, iPod touch, iPad Games : Ami Ball 3D / BoogerZ game ==
-#- Consulting Freelance Available for Contract works in angers, france on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Google Android apps.
-#- Consultant Indépendant pour Développement d\'application et jeu iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Google Android sur Angers dans le Maine et Loire en France.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Quote from: LtPlay49;614846
@bloodline

I use Unity 3D wich is the best tool for making games i ever used (and i had used a lot since the Amiga days ;-) ).

Congrats to using only xCode

It would be wonderful to have a Unity Compiler (mono required) for Amiga OS4/MorphOS or Aros. It's so sad to release games that could run on Amiga platforms but can't because of complicated porting...
The fun bit for me is the low level stuff :)

I have written my own framework which gives me a set of classes that roughly mimic the Amiga's hardware. I will clean them up at some point and release them for others to use, Amiga coders should find them intuitive and easy to use :)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;614815
As someone with an iOS game on the AppStore, I have to say I welcome gaming coming to the appleTV (which is basically an iPod Touch with a TV out socket).

You guys can piss on Apple, but if I wanted to sell a game for Nintendo/Sony/M$/etc that would be totally no go. But Apple has allowed me to develop a game and sell it. You could all do it too (read my blog).

I don't play games anywhere else than on my iPhone now :)

Why would it be a no go, especially Indie stuff on the xbox 360, whats stopping you there ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
@JJ

I don't have time to make anything more than a fun little casual mobile game, people on the xbox are not going to pay 59p for a game that can be played to kill 10min when you are waiting for a bus or meeting... How do I Market to he xbox crowd? How do I stand out? How do I afford the expensive developer fees of the other platforms?

It was a minefield, but 4 years ago Apple needed developers and released a totally complete, mature, well documented development environment for free, with a quick and easy way for me to sell my apps to anyone with an iOS mobile device!

I would like to make an Android app, but revenue from Android is nonexistant... I simply can't afford to do it.

Offline LtPlay49

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »
@JJ

There is two indy stores on XBox (XNA community and Xbox Live Arcade).

XNA is FREE but an absolutely no go, no one ever buy something there or download for free (not much people even know what it's all about).

Xbox Live Arcade, you can't be a individual indy coder. You need to be a real game studio, prove it, prove your past success, and after several months, pay for XBox license and dev hardware and software which is a lot lot more than a macmini + 90$ apple dev program. Count on 6 figures budget only to be able to start dev for the Xbox Live Arcade without knowing if your game will be ever accepted by Microsoft.

And if you think that Apple is censoring apps (yes they are and i think it's not good), and that there app validation process is complicated and unfair. You never tried to get a game accepted by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo onto their platforms.

Yes you need to get your game accepted by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo as for Apple. The only difference is, whith apple, you know that your game will be accepted for FREE in 10 days if you play by their rules. You will NEVER get your app accepted by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo for FREE and certainly not in 10 Days (the studio pay for the different tests, and it cost a lot).

That's why iOS and Google android are the only solution for individuals coders. Sadly android store didn't made any money for anyone (not on every android phone, not in as much contries as AppStore...)...

And finally, just check the numbers, apple sells more games and make more money than any other online store.

I never understood all this apple bashing... I really think that people complaining are not really aware of how it all worked before the iPhone. It's certainly not perfect, but it's better than Sega(at least they were the ones allowing adult rated games back in the day), Nokia (remember N-Gage?), Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo way of doing things.

Hope i clarified the situation in the game market and replied to your question.

Just ask if you want more ;-). I will reply as soon as i have free time.

Edited : Xbox Live Arcade and not Xbox Live Marketplace as i initially typed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:09:19 PM by LtPlay49 »
-#- Consulting Freelance Available for Contract works in angers, france on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Google Android apps.
-#- Consultant Indépendant pour Développement d\'application et jeu iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Google Android sur Angers dans le Maine et Loire en France.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;614795
Nope.

Nowadays with a new product (since the iPod, including the iPhone and iPad) Apple sieze a vast chunk of the market area it targets

Right, like I have seized control of a vast chunk of the state of Florida that I have chosen to target.  100% in fact!*

(*=of the area I have chosen to target, specifically my 1 acre lot.)

They don't call it the reality distortion field for nothin'.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;614860
Right, like I have seized control of a vast chunk of the state of Florida that I have chosen to target.  100% in fact!*

(*=of the area I have chosen to target, specifically my 1 acre lot.)

They don't call it the reality distortion field for nothin'.

Sheesh. For phones Apple targets the Smartphone arena, not the feature phone or lower categories. It's a growth area still, and has been for a few years. They didn't create it of course. They have a massive area of this market, and it's a large portion of the overall mobile phone market now.

For music playback Apple targets the digital personal player market, and got 70% of that. Nobody sells tape or CD walkman devices anymore, so that's 70% of all portable music. Phones have come along to do it as well, but Apple have a product there too.

For tablets, Apple has the vast majority of the market. Even if this was refactored to mean 'portable computer' the sale of iPads takes them from sixth or seventh worldwide to third because they sell so many.

So, it's hardly your soggy little alligator ridden acre in the everglades.

Offline LtPlay49

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 06:43:22 PM »
@B00tDisk

Did you imply someone is lying here? Please, check your numbers, again i provided a very good example (and not coming from Apple). Did you think someone is liyng when Appel is credited 24% of the smartphone market? Or when more games are sold on the iOS platform than any other?

And as Hattig said, they got 1+% (2% now if i am not mistaken) of mobile phone market, but do you try to make us believe that apple compete in the 15$ phone market?

No they compete in the smartphone market where they got a great amount of it (they get the #3 or #4 position, that depends and the month you read datas, and even if you count by OS and not manufacturer).

If i am wrong (and like every one else i am wrong all the time), show us your numbers about the "smartphone" market, not the overall mobile phone market, i would really be happy to start coding for something else. ;-)

To top it all, more than 40% of people who bought an android phone say they will buy an iphone next time (it's really sad about android, because that means 40% has regret about getting one). I think that's saying a lot about the android experience and the future of both android and iPhone...

You might love android or windows phone 7, but not people. It's the same as i liked Palm WebOS but no one else ;-).

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
Quote from: LtPlay49;614885

To top it all, more than 40% of people who bought an android phone say they will buy an iphone next time (it's really sad about android, because that means 40% has regret about getting one). I think that's saying a lot about the android experience and the future of both android and iPhone...

You might love android or windows phone 7, but not people. It's the same as i liked Palm WebOS but no one else ;-).

That number doesn't really say much on its own. "android phone" is hopelessly vague. That covers the "free with 2 year contract" shite phones, as well as top of the line powerhouses like the evo and epic.

How many of those 40% own a phone thats in the same performance class as the iphone?

How many of them have actually used the iphone and are comparing, versus just going on name and advertisement?

And at least in the US, how many of them will still switch once they realize how badly you get ripped off for data services with both Verizon and AT&T?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
Quote from: Tension;603478
People wont buy games for it, they will rent them.

Sony will stop releasing consoles, and pull a Sega.

People will complain a lot about the whole thing.

I will look on with bemusement.

Like this one perhaps? http://www.onlive.com :)

Cool thing, but yet an extremely limited market compared to traditional consoles. No, I agree with that Sony executive who claimed that games on physical storage media will stay for at least one more decade...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »
What the hell? Does that thing run streaming Windows titles or something?

I remember when Apex tried something like that. I was eager to have a game machine that would instantly auto config my classic titles to play with a dual analog controller. I had my copy of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight all polished off, then the project went under.

Good thing there are such things as Keyboard Mouse emulators to compensate for that failure.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
When is someone going to port Aros or Morphos onto ARM so they can be used on smartphones? I can see an Amiga os going up against ios and Android :rolleyes:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;616363
When is someone going to port Aros or Morphos onto ARM so they can be used on smartphones? I can see an Amiga os going up against ios and Android :rolleyes:

AROS has been available for ARM for a long time.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;616369
AROS has been available for ARM for a long time.
Indeed, Pavel has versions of AROS for (Jailbroken) iPhones and Android phones.