Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Piracy [Disclaimer]  (Read 2477 times)

Description:

Offline anakirobTopic starter

• Show only replies by anakirob
    • http://www.systemofsound.org/
Piracy [Disclaimer]
« on: September 08, 2004, 05:11:08 AM »
I noticed www.amiga.org has had only five hits (six now I got it:) to the disclaimer.
I think this says something about the average persons (@ least amiga users) attitude toward the law when it comes to intellectual property.

Disclaimer

Amiga.org exists for the purpose of providing support and content for the Amiga line of computers, both Classic and new. While we make every effort to provide an enjoyable experience for our visitors, Amiga.org is not responsible for the content of user-contributed news items, comments, posts, or other similar entries.

If you find something offensive, or something that violates our Posting Guidelines, please notify a Moderator immediately so that we might assess the situation and take the appropriate action.

just in case you didn't know :-P

DISCLAIMER
I'm not advocating anything, just pointing it out.
[think I might make this my signature :-D ]

Offline TjLaZer

Re: Piracy [Disclaimer]
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:33:49 AM »
I'd say the majority of Amiga users are aware that the platform is nearing 20 years, and that almost all of the software is easily downloadable on the net.  And most do not care if it is spread around.

Though I have ran into a few Amiga Anti-Piracy nutjobs.  I guess they collect originals games and only play the originals, then when the disk goes bad they buy another copy.  All because they do not advocate the copying of Amiga software.  Hahahaha thats some funny crap.

I guess the stance of this forum is to not get involved at all and get into any legal problems.  Though I doubt it would, but there is always a chance.

What I like is http://www.atari-forum.com  This site is cool.  You can request games and people post them.  This is for the great Atari ST, the arch rival of the Amiga!  Go figure.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline anakirobTopic starter

• Show only replies by anakirob
    • http://www.systemofsound.org/
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 05:37:59 AM »
I got an ST for $2AUD from the local tip-shop. IN WORKING ORDER and with software. cheers for the link.

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 05:49:19 AM »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though I have ran into a few Amiga Anti-Piracy nutjobs. I guess they collect originals games and only play the originals, then when the disk goes bad they buy another copy. All because they do not advocate the copying of Amiga software. Hahahaha thats some funny crap.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's me.  I only keep originals.  Copies have no value.  I do keep backups, to replace failed originals.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 05:51:02 AM »
 Hum,
i think it shows the average persons @ least amiga users on this form are all in telepathic communication, and that they know all this already.
Er, a bit like saying gravity makes things fall down, [a revelation, if you didn't figure it out already]

:-)

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 05:52:51 AM »
@FastRobPlus

Hmmm I knew there was something funny about ya. ;)

Just playin. I actually have a ton of originals too.  But I also do not mind downloading and playing a cracked game. :P
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 06:44:59 AM »
I think this says something about the average persons (@ least amiga users) attitude toward the law when it comes to intellectual property.

No it doesn't. It only means that people don't :rtfm:.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline FastRobPlus

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 07:58:44 PM »
@Tj,
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
I actually have a ton of originals too
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Somehow, I'm guessing you are one of the more prolific collectors of original boxed games.

I have to say that I don't even download from BTTR really.  I like having the originals in the same way that I like playing on the original hardware.  Copies or ADFs seem as holow to me as using UAE...

By the way - I'm still looking for a boxed copy of Mind Walker.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 09:11:33 PM »
I'm still looking for a boxed copy of Mind Walker.

Did that IRC client ever make it that far? I didn't think it did.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline FastRobPlus

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 09:19:19 PM »
Don't you have movie-sign or something to go to? ;)

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 09:29:33 PM »

anakirob wrote:

I don't think that's the case at all.  When you sign up for a new account you get the same disclaimer which you have to agree to.  I myself rarely go back and re-read rules and guidelines unless there are changes that may affect me.  Wayne is good about posting when changes occur.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline reflect

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 10:00:20 PM »
Can't say I care much when someone "pirates" an old game from 1989 or whatever, even though it might still be against the law.

But, when someone pirates 'new' software for the amiga.. made by one of the few houses that still produce something for it, today.. then I must say that pisses me off to no end. I don't see how anyone can justify it either. To me, people doing that is worth nothing, and I don't care if they say they can't afford it, that's not a reason to copy something.

That's my stance on piracy, and I hope that the majority agrees with me.
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 10:06:09 PM »
I'm not an anti-piracy "nutjob" by any stretch.  I understand both sides of the equation.  What you do is entirely up to you and is none of my business.

That being said, I will ask -- before demanding -- that you understand and respect things from our very official perspective.

The Amiga has been pretty much dead for 10 years.  Only the unrealistic will debate that point, and yes, I agree and hope that the new systems will actually be successful.  Furthermore, whether you understand it, or want to accept it, software is covered under copyright if not trademark laws in the US where this site operates.

If Amiga.org is used -- or otherwise knowingly allows -- the distribution of illegally dispersed software, then *I* could be held legally liable and financially culpable BY LAW.

I'm not paying lawyers to fight for that, so our official hardline, non-debatable position is that software piracy is [color=CC0000]not[/color] tolerated on this Web site in any way, shape or form.