Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What? No kvetching about the new header?  (Read 5723 times)

Description:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Re: What? No kvetching about the new header?
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »
@terminator.

I forget who said it, but it really is true that "this site is built for Amiga users, not for Amiga browsers".  Unfortunately most of the browsers on a machine that's been literally dead (as in off the market) for almost 15 years simply cannot handle even the simplest of tasks on the Internet any more, and I can't spend hundreds of hours backwards engineering this software to make it backward compatible with 2002 HTML without breaking 90% of the cool features that 99% of our users can now enjoy.

It hurts my feelings to have to draw that line, but I've explained why it was necessary until I'm literally sick (and angry) over having to continually explain it.

I do sincerely understand and accept your frustrations, but frankly Amiga.org now "is what it is" and you can either accept it, or not.  Continually insulting the work that we've put into this site is never going to change that.

The people you should REALLY be upset with is the Amiga browser authors who -- for all intents and purposes -- haven't update their product in almost 10 years.   *THEY* gave up on this community.  

At least I'm still trying, and again, frankly, you have no idea how many nights I've stayed awake debating that fact..

Regards,

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:30:21 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »
@GadgetMaster
Did you also read about the layout which isn't the greatest compared to old site (when viewed on amiga).  anyway i'm not having a good day, so i'm going to refrain from posting perhaps...

@Wayne
thanks for keeping up the site.
I can checkout a few things (even send photos of my screen on aweb/ibrowse) to help improve things.  The old a.org layout was better shown.  I don't mind using quote instead of quick reply etc.
I do believe that with some testing this can be improved?  (am i the only one that views this site at times on real Amiga???).  I believe, with the few improvements this site can look back the same way as the old one even on Amiga.  

Quote from: GadgetMaster;456608
There is a proper place to report site issues.

As mentioned before, quick reply uses Javascript as do modern browsers.

It's not the sites fault if an old browser cant use some of the more modern features. Besides there is always the alternative. Use normal reply.

Why complain about a feature that is just an optional extra. I never use quick reply. You don't need it.

Offline terminator4

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;456609
There's your whole problem, right there. What you need is a cheap and cheerful 200 quid PC just for web browsing. Even a machine of that price range has orders of magnitude more processing and image rasterizing power than the machine you are using. It'll run a modern browser quite happily.

@Karlos
I do have a cheap peecee.   But I do enjoy surfing the net on my Amiga and my Amiga is cheerful.
Besides, have you viewed this site on Amiga?  It's not like a lot of things are missing, just some improvements there and there and it will look as decent as the old site?  I also have had "layout" display issue on my peecee, but perhaps thats due to fact I refuse to update my Mozilla firefox.  I did send a screenshot of that to wayne though.  anyway if you're asking for feedback im sending it and willing to send / test things in order to improve things.  unless you're done with it.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34:20 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456612
@GadgetMaster
Did you also read about the layout which isn't the greatest compared to old site (when viewed on amiga)

Yes. That's why I said there is a proper place to report any issues you have.

Here: http://www.amiga.org/forums/project.php?projectid=1

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »
I believe, with the few improvements this site can look back the same way as the old one even on Amiga.

If you mean Ibrowse/Aweb then one of those "improvements" is to remove all CSS based styles and replace with deprecated HTML formatting attributes. That is simply not going to happen. Why should Wayne or anybody else spend hours hacking away at perfectly good code to produce perfectly bad HTML that was deprecated ages ago? Nobody has written anything that produces that kind of HTML in years now. The web has left that kind of arcane nonsense well behind.
int p; // A

• Winning!
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34:36 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456612
am i the only one that views this site at times on real Amiga???
According to the statistics, you're one of seven, out of over 1000 active users.  I can't tell who the others are, or even if that's accurate, but it's all I've got.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456614
@Karlos
I do have a cheap peecee.   But I do enjoy surfing the net on my Amiga and my Amiga is cheerful.
Besides, have you viewed this site on Amiga?  It's not like a lot of things are missing, just some improvements there and there and it will look as decent as the old site?  I also have had "layout" display issue on my peecee, but perhaps thats due to fact I refuse to update my Mozilla firefox.  I did send a screenshot of that to wayne though.  anyway if you're asking for feedback im sending it and willing to send / test things.

Actually, I have tried, but not since the first tests.

Why not muck around with VNC or RDesktop or something like that? You could then get your fullscreened firefox in a window on your workbench. Best of both worlds?
int p; // A

• Winning!
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;456615
Yes. That's why I said there is a proper place to report any issues you have.

Here: http://www.amiga.org/forums/project.php?projectid=1

Thanks for the pickup on this one, but "backwards compatibility with 1993 browsers" is not a problem that we can fix without breaking 90% of the functionality enjoyed by 99% of our users now.

@terminator,

I never got a screenshot that I recall, but my only answer is that there's zero reason you shouldn't upgrade to Firefox 3, unless your PC is a Pentium III or lower.

As much as I would like, I just can't sacrifice "the good of the many for the good of the few (who refuse to upgrade), or the one".

As I said, I do accept your concerns, but hope you understand my position as well.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 10:41:21 PM »
I think the header looks great.  The layout itself to me at least, is refreshing vs. the old AO setup.  Great job Wayne!

-Alex
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline terminator4

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »
@Karlos
How about Firefox 1.0.4 having display issues? (I can email the screenshot)  During the first tests things seem to display fine.  Upgradign the browser means upgrading the entire linux distro, and i don't have the time for that.  Also, how does one show all the a.org postings I made in the past? (used to be displayed on bottom on the old a.org).  This was an easy way to track topics.

@Wayne
ok, I guess few individuals use Amiga to surf.  :-(
7 out of 1000 only??  The Aweb and Ibrowse have had some updates, so come on its not 1993 browser.
I understand your concerns, but can't we all be happy no matter what machines we are on?  (not like i'm asking 100% compatibility on Amiga).
Thanks for keeping up the site for so many years.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:56:12 PM by terminator4 »

Offline Gibbersan

• Show only replies by Gibbersan
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 10:45:21 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;456567
You forgot to mention it repeatedly and put it in a bold and very large font so I don't beleive you.

:p
Heh. And he didn't use nearly enough exclamation points.
A4000D - A1200 - WinUAE

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 10:45:43 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;456620
Thanks for the pickup on this one, but "backwards compatibility with 1993 browsers" is not a problem that we can fix without breaking 90% of the functionality enjoyed by 99% of our users now.

Don't worry, I would have expected it to get rejected 100% would it have been submitted.

Better than having to explain it over and over on the forums. ;)

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 10:48:30 PM »
The "serving the Amiga community since 1994" is a definite improvement. Keep it.

(It still has the "wimpy" script and the word "community", but I think in this case, it works.)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 10:54:28 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456622
@Karlos
How about Firefox 1.0.4 having display issues? (I can email the screenshot)  During the first tests things seem to display fine.  Upgradign the browser means upgrading the entire linux distro, and i don't have the time for that.

I hate to say it, but Fx 1.x is completely obsolete now. There's no official support for it anywhere. After all, 3.5 is almost out. Unless you are running a server and your boxes uptime is critical to you, I'd suggest you just install an entirely new version of the OS. I wouldn't even bother upgrading, just back up your /home directory someplace and make sure your new user gets the same user id as your existing one (or just chown the lot of it afterwards). If Fx 1 is the default version for your distro, it must be pretty old by now,

Complaining that a site doesn't render properly in Fx 1.x when the majority of users are on 3.x is like complaining an application for your amiga doesn't work as well under Kickstart 1.2 as it does on 3.9.
int p; // A

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 10:55:16 PM »
me likey ! ..love the old school font ;-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 27, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »
@Wayne

Masterstroke - how about rendering the "Serving the amiga community..." tagline in topaz (with a slight scanline effect) :D
int p; // A