Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surface Pro ships with only 23KB free or less than a single floppy!  (Read 3734 times)

Description:

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
Re: Surface Pro ships with only 23KB free or less than a single floppy!
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 01, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;724776
Nonsense. You don't need that much data space. For me 8 Gb would last a life time!

I have more music than that on my phone. Then comes videos, comics, games, books...

Tell me. What happens when you use up all that data and something happens to it like it gets stolen or run over by a bus? What a waste. That's the problem with these mobile devices. People put all their information on them without backing it all up.

Well, *I* don't put it there without backing it up, so *I* would just copy my data back from my home server onto a fresh SD-card and pop it in my replacement phone or tablet.

Why can't you just use computers like a normal person?

They *are* computers. Computers well over a thousand times more powerful than the first ones I grew up with.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 03:59:54 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;724917
There's a fine line between being a platform dictator and design by committee.
No, they're actually polar opposites.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;724921
No, they're actually polar opposites.

That's true, but why do companies always seem to end up far to one side of it?

Seems like a tricky balance to me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »
OK i stand corrected. Maybe it is possible to backup your data. I don't use ios or any smartphone for anything so i really don't know. I am just watching how my friends use them. Like my girlfriend losing her iphone with all her photos on it. Everyone i know whinges about it.

@Bloodline or anyone else. Is there a program like Auria available for Windows? I would love to use something like this. I play the Bass guitar and wanted to record stuff onto my laptop so i tried out Guitar Pro 5 and i think it is crap. It is clumsy and old and to be honest i can't really be bothered learning how to use it. Is there something more modern i can use to record my bass on and mix it too?

Auria looks really good. Why didn't they port it to Windows?

Edit: A quick look on Google shows lots of potential software. Can anyone recommend one?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:16:10 PM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;724769
Actually, I use my iPad Mini for software dev (C/Objective-C and JavaScript), and also for making music... The DAW software available is brilliant now! :)

Back on topic... The amusing prefix mixup aside, the Surface is horribly under provided in the Storage department :-/

Im still bloody waiting for fruity loops on android for my nexus .  Its looking fooking awesome
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 11:38:11 PM »
iOS version of Fruityloops is just great, highly recommended.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 11:42:47 PM »
the progress on the android version is looking pretty impressive.   I got an iphone but thats too small for a DAW.  Bought a nexus 7 as ipad mini just too much.   Much prefer iOS to android, but the nexus is good kit.  How much fruity on ios, i own sig edition for pc
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:13 PM »
Lol! I'm am downloading FL studio right now. If i like it i will buy it.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;724916
Use the camera connection kit, that's how I use my USB audio interface and keyboards on my iPad... :)

My CCK doesn't work any more. I bought a generic one with the iPad (Import, no GST/VAT)but it became unsupported after my first IOS upgrade.  I never got around to buying an Apple one. Not worth it now as the iPad will probably fall out of IOS support within in the next 12 months.

Sorry back on topic now. Basically I understand the reasons for a Windows RT Arm tablet but I find it hard to understand the same of an X86 version because of the limitations of it in tablet form and opposite the expectations people will have of it. There are probably merits in pursuing multiple lines of OS in regard to target device rather than OS feature set.  Windows mobile, Windows tablet, Windows Pro Touch, Windows Pro.  Optimised for the UX.  Rather than the current Hybrid UX which IMO has a compromise around the start screen for conventional mouse users.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:28:16 AM by gertsy »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;724923
That's true, but why do companies always seem to end up far to one side of it?

Seems like a tricky balance to me.

Sinofsky might have been too far to the "right". And maybe the "left" at MS didn't like that. Thus his leaving.  I don't think it's hard to see where Bulmer stands, but he's so far removed and "above" that it has little technical impact. We often talk of corporations as single entities but the reality is far from it. As we are seeing more of at Apple at the moment.  I think Gates and Jobs were simular in that they cared about the UX and had the final say.  More so Jobs. I think its important to have that kind of executive roll.  Doesn't need to be head of the company but it needs to be a Jobs like autonomy.  I think.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 12:47:54 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;724950
OK i stand corrected. Maybe it is possible to backup your data. I don't use ios or any smartphone for anything so i really don't know. I am just watching how my friends use them. Like my girlfriend losing her iphone with all her photos on it. Everyone i know whinges about it.

Unless she turned it off, her photos will still be in her iCloud photo stream, and also on her laptop (if she has a mac it backs up automatically when she syncs her music)

@Bloodline or anyone else. Is there a program like Auria available for Windows? I would love to use something like this. I play the Bass guitar and wanted to record stuff onto my laptop so i tried out Guitar Pro 5 and i think it is crap. It is clumsy and old and to be honest i can't really be bothered learning how to use it. Is there something more modern i can use to record my bass on and mix it too?

Hmmm, for windows I would probably use Adobe Audition (or Cool Edit as it was known when I used to use Windows),

Auria looks really good. Why didn't they port it to Windows?

Because it would have to cost three times as much and it would be pirated within hours of release... Sad but true.

Edit: A quick look on Google shows lots of potential software. Can anyone recommend one?

Adobe Audition is what I would use on Windows... But if you have access to a Mac then Logic Pro is your baby! ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:51:31 AM by bloodline »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 01:19:56 AM »
OK i tried FL Studio and i looks good. Maybe a little too complicated. I don't need all those features to make music. If i bought FL Studio i would end up only using maybe 2% of its features. All i really want is something simple i can use to record my bass  playing on and maybe use my pc as a replacement amp. Some simple  features like metronomes, basic drums and maybe some basic tools to  manipulate the bass sound and i'm happy.

Why do people think they need all those features to make music? Why? K.I.S.S.!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 01:23:02 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;724977
Unless she turned it off, her photos will still be in her iCloud photo stream, and also on her laptop (if she has a mac it backs up automatically when she syncs her music)

Nah, she's not bright enough to think like that ;)

Quote from: bloodline;724977
Hmmm, for windows I would probably use Adobe Audition (or Cool Edit as it was known when I used to use Windows),

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Hey, when is your band bringing out some new music?

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;724985
OK i tried FL Studio and i looks good. Maybe a little too complicated. I don't need all those features to make music. If i bought FL Studio i would end up only using maybe 2% of its features. All i really want is something simple i can use to record my bass  playing on and maybe use my pc as a replacement amp. Some simple  features like metronomes, basic drums and maybe some basic tools to  manipulate the bass sound and i'm happy.

Why do people think they need all those features to make music? Why? K.I.S.S.!

IF we are talking the pc and you just want simple free sound recording prog, I would recommend audacity

Also a DAW can be as simple or as complicated as you need it.  Give Fruity some time have a play around, look at the millions of online videos.

Its worth the effort, once you got it it, its pretty awesomee