Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hardware Issue or Software Issue cybppc.device  (Read 822 times)

Description:

Offline my_pc_is_amigaTopic starter

Hardware Issue or Software Issue cybppc.device
« on: December 04, 2019, 06:37:45 AM »
I'm attaching a first time error log and assume it came phase5 cybppc.device 44.67.   This is running on 3.1.4.1.   I haven't seen it a second time yet and so not sure what caused it.  Anybody knows what this is saying?  Why was there a "Unexpected Disconnect"?

guest11527

Re: Hardware Issue or Software Issue cybppc.device
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:21:33 AM »
I'm attaching a first time error log and assume it came phase5 cybppc.device 44.67.   This is running on 3.1.4.1.   I haven't seen it a second time yet and so not sure what caused it.  Anybody knows what this is saying?  Why was there a "Unexpected Disconnect"?

What kind of device is this? If there are CDRoms on the bus, you want to enable the disconnect/reconnect capability of the SCSI bus (hoping that the device supports it). Apparently, some device disconnected without this part of the protocol being enabled.

Could also be a generic problem on the bus, such as termination or bad cabling.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:32:58 AM »
These are just scsi wide hard disks (only 2 of the one the bus).  One of them is at scsi address 6 and the other at SCSI address 3.  I did put active terminators on both ends but will double check nothing else is strange with some hard disk jumpers.   Strange thing is that this is not happening often as I would expect to see more errors.

What kind of device is this? If there are CDRoms on the bus, you want to enable the disconnect/reconnect capability of the SCSI bus (hoping that the device supports it). Apparently, some device disconnected without this part of the protocol being enabled.

Could also be a generic problem on the bus, such as termination or bad cabling.

guest11527

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
These are just scsi wide hard disks (only 2 of the one the bus).  One of them is at scsi address 6 and the other at SCSI address 3.  I did put active terminators on both ends but will double check nothing else is strange with some hard disk jumpers.   Strange thing is that this is not happening often as I would expect to see more errors.
How are the drives jumpered, after all? Are they allowed to disconnect? For harddisks, it's probably best just to disallow that. Otherwise, you would probably have to configure the cybppc to handle this case correctly. Don't ask me how, I don't use or own this device.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 06:04:08 AM »
I have 2 Seagate ST318452LW drives.  I just pulled them out now and the only jumpers set are for the SCSI ID 3 on 1 drive and SCSI ID 6 on the other.   

I have been some research and according to these old posts, TERM power needs to be supplied to SCSI bus and drives should be in SE mode.

https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=54626.msg582064#msg582064

Seagate manual:
https://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/100139872a.pdf (Figure 17 has the jumper setting info).   According to the Seagate manual, DIFFSNS signal will determine singe-ended or differential automatically and so I shouldn't need to use the SE jumper to force.

The only thing I could set is the TERM power jumper on the drive even though I don't see TERM power mentioned in CyberstromPPC manual.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 06:12:38 AM »
Based on this info from the Seagate manual, the ultra wide scsi on the PPC card should be operating in LVD mode (since the PPC manual says 40 M/s transfer max. rate).

Seagate Manual:
"When the interface “DIFFSNS” line is between +0.35 V and +0.5 V, the drive interface circuits operate singleended and up to and including 20 M transfers/s (Fast-20 or Ultra SCSI). When “DIFFSNS” is between +0.7 V
and +1.9 V, the drive interface circuits operate low voltage differential and up to and including 80 M transfers/s
or less (Fast-40 or Ultra160 SCSI)."

guest11527

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 06:56:53 AM »
Seagate manual:
https://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/100139872a.pdf (Figure 17 has the jumper setting info).   According to the Seagate manual, DIFFSNS signal will determine singe-ended or differential automatically and so I shouldn't need to use the SE jumper to force.
According to this manual, there is no jumper for disconnect/reconnect, but the drive supports it (and probably then also uses it). Thus, you would need to configure the cybppc to support it as well. I do not know how that is done, though.

Maybe the SCSI mode pages of the drive tell you more about the settings. SCSIQuery from the aminet does that and lists all the SCSI pages of the drive. I.e. "SCSIQuery DH0:" will read the settings from DH0: and print them on the console.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
Mmm...seems that "Disconnect control is not used."    But somehow the drive did it -- probably from some error.  Anyways, I've enabled TERM power to SCSI bus on 1 drive and will continue to see if this error comes back.   

Wondering if there any tools to run the "Drive Self Test"?