Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 28879 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« Reply #224 from previous page: June 15, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;766751
A practical idea... why not create a "free speech" thread where people can discuss without heavy censoring. It could be off the main page and nobody is forced to read it if he do not like it (of course not insulting people like "xyz is a idiot/stupid" and so on

Another option is defaulting to an expanded threaded view, where posts (and replies) can be collapsed/expanded according to the users wishes. Some +/- 'helpful post' voting system could be used to define which (if any) posts are collapsed by default.

That's about the only combination of 'I want my free speech' and 'I don't want to have to read that crap again' that I can think of.

Would that even work with Amiga browsers though?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:11:38 PM by Boot_WB »
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »
Sorry I have seen already the same the other way round. And if a former amiga-user shows f.e. on amigaworld he is vrtual surrounded by a huge crowd of people trying to persuade him to buy AmigaOS hardware. i think it is ok to at least mention that there are alternatives. Of course when you see that he has decided himself for AmigaOS you have to accept that and not trying to convince him that is wrong. But one time mentioning is ok for me. What do you think?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;766754
Another option is defaulting to an expanded threaded view, where posts (and replies) can be collapsed according to the users wishes. Some +/- 'helpful post' voting system could be used to define which (if any) posts are collapsed by default.

That's about the only combination of 'I want my free speech' and 'I don't want to have to read that crap again' that I can think of.

It depends of the forum software

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;766756
It depends of the forum software

I remember in the past great efforts were made to keep the site compatible with Amiga browsers. What is this baseline in practical terms? What is the most 'advanced' browser on Amiga these days (did Netscape make it to 68K)?

Although in any case it would be pretty easy to offer a redirect to an Amiga-browser friendly site for older browsers, whilst offering a more modern site by default.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:32:34 PM by Boot_WB »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;766757
I remember in the past great efforts were made to keep the site compatible with Amiga browsers. What is this baseline in practical terms? What is the most 'advanced' browser on Amiga these days (did Netscape make it to 68K)?

Although in any case it would be pretty easy to offer a redirect to an Amiga-browser friendly site for older browsers, whilst offering a more modern site by default.

I recall trying the main site on my A2000 under IBrowse a few weeks ago and had a lot of issues, however at the recommendation of a user here I tried it through a proxy (which stripped out some stuff), which worked perfectly.  Sorry I'm not in front of my Miggy right now or I could give you exact details, but that seems the best way to add new features while maintaining compatibility with older systems.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;766758
I recall trying the main site on my A2000 under IBrowse a few weeks ago and had a lot of issues, however at the recommendation of a user here I tried it through a proxy (which stripped out some stuff), which worked perfectly.  Sorry I'm not in front of my Miggy right now or I could give you exact details, but that seems the best way to add new features while maintaining compatibility with older systems.

I still use iBrowse occasionally! Seem to have lost my keys (1.1, 2.x) somewhere along the way though. :)

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
I have no issue with A-EON taking over Amiga.Org. Now only if they'd get rid of Bill McEwen and Amiga Inc, we'd be set to get ourselves there.

Good move by Trevor.

Also, on AmigaKit - I'd love to shop there for Amiga hardware -  but admittedly the hardware selection of classic or Neo-Amigas is either nonexistent or way out of my price range. I'd love to mess with OS4, but I don't have the hardware to do it. Same for MorphOS, but I've used that before.

If A-EON could do more to promote open source (MIT/BSD/ISC-type licensed) work - such as helping the BSD community get BSD running on their hardware - I'd happily buy an X1000 when I had the cash.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2014, 04:24:58 PM »
@amigakit

Why not support morphos on your store?. In many european countries 2nd hand ppc macs are still expensive and hard to find, refurbised ppc macs with expansion cards, hd... at good prices can be a good idea.
a1200 060

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;766764
@amigakit

Why not support morphos on your store?. In many european countries 2nd hand ppc macs are still expensive and hard to find, refurbised ppc macs with expansion cards, hd... at good prices can be a good idea.

For smaller systems like the iBook, PowerBook, or Mac Mini shopping in the US and shipping to Europe makes sense.
Many of my friends @ MorphZone.org do that.

I have two hi-res PowerBooks sitting on my coffee table right now that are due to be re-shipped overseas to a couple of people.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;766757
What is the most 'advanced' browser on Amiga these days (did Netscape make it to 68K)?

its difficult to answer. surely ibrowse is still the most polished one as it is expectable for a commercial product, and quite fast but if you want css then there is sdl netsurf port by arti, and also aros owb, which alas must be run under aros68k. at least the later one is of questionable use for amiga at least for now but can be effectively used under emulation.

Online amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
@kickstart

We support MorphOS too.  The wireless cards, USB joysticks, hard drives and keyboards, mice all are MorphOS compatible.  We sold the Pegasos II motherboard and Efika until they were no longer available.  We would sell a boxed version of MorphOS but the MOS Team wish to sell the product directly.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;766769
@kickstart

We support MorphOS too.  The wireless cards, USB joysticks, hard drives and keyboards, mice all are MorphOS compatible.  We sold the Pegasos II motherboard and Efika until they were no longer available.  We would sell a boxed version of MorphOS but the MOS Team wish to sell the product directly.

USB joysticks, hard drives, keyboards... this are just harware that runs on any existing machine on this planet, this is not MOS support, pegasos or efika yes but this is the past.
a1200 060

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
selling mos ready tested macs might be some business, but if mos team doesnt like to enter agreement i dont think amigakit is obliged to support morphos in any way except an opportunity occurs.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
Congrats to A-EON and team, hope Amiga.org future is a little more secure now, I understand some peoples worries about freespeech and still being able to promote things that are kinda of in competition with OS4 or x1000 but I believe these guys are above board and will be fair with any Amiga topic. I just hope this make Amiga.org a bit more lively again.

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;766764
@amigakit

High risk of buying non-working/malfunctioning hardware when sourcing second hand;
High manpower-per-unit required to clean/service/test them prior to resale;
Lots of risk providing any kind of warranty with used hardware;
Paying postage twice (once at purchase, once at resale);
combined with:
People can pick them up for next to nothing on Ebay.

I've thought of doing it myself, but there's just no (or not enough) profit to be made.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;766327
A-EON Techology Ltd is pleased to announce that is the new custodian of Amiga.org, the world's oldest and longest running English language Amiga community web forum.

A-EON acquired from the previous custodian, Bill Panagouleas of DiscreetFX, in an agreement which saw the transfer of the website and contents, the domain name together with all of the brands and rights including the official Facebook and Twitter accounts.

A-EON would like to thank Bill for his stewardship of Amiga.org over the past few years. Matthew Leaman, A-EON Managing Director, said of the purchase, "our acquistion of is part of our long term strategy to help support and expand the Amiga community. We are really excited by this development".

Outgoing custodian Bill Panagouleas added, "I enjoyed my experience and am pleased to place the stewardship in the excellent hands of true Amiga enthusiasts. Amiga.org is safe and secure with A-EON Technology Limited."

Trevor Dickinson, A-EON’s co-founder also commented, "speaking as an Amiga enthusiast, I am extremely proud to be associated with this great piece of Amiga history.  Amiga.org is oldest Amiga web portal, serving the Amiga community since 1994. This year marks the 20th anniversary of its founding and with the help of the Amiga community, whether it be Classic, Next-Generation, Emulation or new Retro hardware we hope to make an essential resource for all Amiga related news and information. Here’s to the next 20 years!"

Full Press Release: http://a-eon.biz/PDF/News_Release_Amiga.org.pdf

Well good luck on bringing this mottley crew of Amiga.org back together again, who knows you might actually give these guys a direction to bring back the excitement of the Amiga computer, you have a long hard road with these guys because they can't and won't agree on anything.

You at least have something going, a designed computer that works, a bit expensive for my blood, but it is a start and something the Amiga commuinty desperately needed, all the other designs I looked at where of old vintage.

Once again good luck, wish you best in your endeavors with the Amiga computer.

We need the excitement back.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better